Windows 10: Save the settings in File Explorer's Folder Options dialog

Discus and support Save the settings in File Explorer's Folder Options dialog in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I couldn't get anything like the above proposed solution to work for the settings in File Explorer's "Folder Options" dialog. But this works: NOTE: As... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pstraton, Sep 11, 2020.

1. pstraton Win User

Save the settings in File Explorer's Folder Options dialog

I couldn't get anything like the above proposed solution to work for the settings in File Explorer's "Folder Options" dialog. But this works:

NOTE: As always, when messing with the registry, it is wise to back up (export) any keys that you will be changing prior to doing so!

First, determine your registry SID:

1. Run regedit (no need to run it as Administrator)
    2. Expand the registry hive HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList which will display a list of users by their SID names
    3. Expand each SID key and examine the ProfileImagePath value to identify which one is your users key
    4. Right-click that SID key and select Copy Key Name, then paste the copied name into a Notepad or Word document. The relevant part of the key name is the users SID, something like S-1-5-21-982684679-592840582-1966211492-3399

To save the current File Explorer settings:

5. Copy/paste the following key-path template into the same Notepad or Word document: HKEY_USERS\--your SID--\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
    6. Copy the actual SID from your users ProfileImagePath key and paste it to replace the --your SID-- part of the HKEY_USERS\...\Advanced key-path template
    7. Copy the resulting HKEY_USERS\...\Advanced key-path to the clipboard
    8. In regedit, if you havent already done so, set it to display its Address Bar (select View => Address Bar)
    9. Paste the copied key-path into regedits Address Bar
    10. Right-click the resulting HKEY_USERS\...\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced key, select Export and give the export-file a name that clearly identifies what it is

To restore previously saved settings:

A. Open File Explorer and go to the folder in which you previously saved the needed settings
    B. Execute (double-click) the exported .reg file that contains the needed settings
    C. In the confirmation dialog, select Yes
    D. In the successfully added dialog, select OK
    3. IMPORTANT: for the new settings to take effect, you must sign out of Windows and sign back in!

:)

pstraton, Sep 11, 2020
  2. Try3 Win User

File explorer save options view

The SaveAs dialog is a separate uility to File explorer. So you need to set it up separately to list things the way you want.

Open a SaveAs dialog in Notepad. Get it into Details view using the More options button in the upper-right area then click on the header at the top of the name column and your folders / files will be listed alphabetically. The SaveAs dialog will retain this setting for the next time you use it.

Then test that the SaveAs dialog in the application you referred to in your question behaves as expected. Some applications insist on generating their own SaveAs dialogs and they might or might not follow the same rules as the proper Windows SaveAs dialog.

Denis

3. DaveM121 Win User
    Open/Save Dialog not showing all folders/files

Hi Gary

In order to get a better idea of the problem, can you please provide a screenshot of a listing of those folders in Windows File Explorer and also in the Open/Save dialog, which shows folder that cannot be seen in that dialog . . .

DaveM121, Sep 11, 2020
  4. Terrypin Win User

File Explorer Save As dialog changed?

Following the latest Win 10 update, has something changed in File Explorer? In the Save As dialog shown in my screenshots I expect a simple alphabetic order, with folders first then files.

It gets even more confusing if I show all files, by entering '*.*' into the File name box.

Save the settings in File Explorer's Folder Options dialog [​IMG]

Is there some setting I can use to restore the familiar, consistent display please, as many of my (Macro Express Pro) scripts rely on it.

Note: if it's relevant, I use the Classic Shell file explorer.

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terrypin, Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Save the settings in File Explorer's Folder Options dialog - Similar Threads - Save settings File

2. File Explorer - Save As options help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer - Save As options help: How do I stop Windows from remembering the last folder I saved to? I don't know how else to ask this but when I click 'Save As' on a web document or a picture in Google Chrome, I don't want the file explorer prompt to open to the last folder I saved a doc or image to. I just...
  3. File Explorer - Save As options help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer - Save As options help: How do I stop Windows from remembering the last folder I saved to? I don't know how else to ask this but when I click 'Save As' on a web document or a picture in Google Chrome, I don't want the file explorer prompt to open to the last folder I saved a doc or image to. I just...
  4. File Explorer - Save As options help

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. File Explorer - Save As options help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Save As Dialog Does Not Remember Last File Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Save As Dialog Does Not Remember Last File Folder: Since the most recent January and March 2021 Windows 10 Home updates, anytime I click Save As in any software program--including Microsoft Office Word/Excel/etc, Microsoft Word, Adobe--the last File Folder in which I saved a document is forgotten. This requires me to click...
  7. File explorer save options view

in Windows 10 Customization
    File explorer save options view: I just got upgraded to the new File Explorer. I am a photographer and a collector of images. I have hundreds of folders and subfolders. I know exactly where they are because they are listed alphabetically. Now with this File Explorer upgrade they are listed by date. I've...
  8. Open/Save Dialog not showing all folders/files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Open/Save Dialog not showing all folders/files: I have a lot of files stored on a flash drive in briefcases. However, the open/save as dialogs do not display all available folders. Why is that? What can I do to correct this major headache?...
  9. Cannot rename folders in explorer, but, can at a save as dialog

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot rename folders in explorer, but, can at a save as dialog: Hello, I have a similar issue like the link at the bottom of this post. When in Windows Explorer, on both the network or local drive, I can add folders, I can delete folders, but I cannot rename them. I also cannot move folders. !BUT! when in a program, and at a save or...
  10. File Explorer Save As dialog changed?

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Save As dialog changed?: Following the latest Win 10 update, has something changed in File Explorer? In the Save As dialog shown in my screenshots I expect a simple alphabetic order, with folders first then files. It gets even more confusing if I show all files, by entering '*.*' into the File...