Windows 10: Saved File location not remembered

Discus and support Saved File location not remembered in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I'm having a weird issue with windows 10, where software doesn't remember where the file is on open files.Eg I have two separate documents open, hit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by BCA_NZ, Aug 12, 2022.

1. BCA_NZ Win User

Saved File location not remembered

I'm having a weird issue with windows 10, where software doesn't remember where the file is on open files.Eg I have two separate documents open, hit save on one and it saves into the same folder as the other file that is open. So you can imagine I have documents been saved everywhere in the wrong location.And I'm talking about Clt + S to save in any program, this of course leads to a workflow of Save As instead of just Save to avoid this issue and pick file locations each time.This happens on most software of what I can tell so far, so seems like a windows issue rather than the software I'm us

:)

BCA_NZ, Aug 12, 2022

2. applications do not remember previous save locations

Hi Clifferton,

Based on the details that you have provided, there is a way for you to determine whether the save location issue is program-related or due to the Windows 10 upgrade. To help you isolate it, we suggest testing other programs or apps and see if the previous
    save location shows when saving files. If the issue only happens with a specific program, then we encourage you contact the manufacturer for better guidance about their product.

If the the issue also happens to other programs or apps, we would appreciate if you can provide us additional details to help us provide the appropriate solution: Kindly answer the following:

• What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Aside from upgrading, have you also made any recent changes to your PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Cha, Aug 12, 2022
  3. hvaleton Win User
    MS Paint "Save as" location is NOT the file source location

Hi,

In Windows 8.1 (and as far as I can remember in all previous Windows versions) I used to be able to do the following:
    • In Windows Explorer: Open a .jpg file from anywhere in my file system, by right mouse clicking and choosing "edit"
    • After editing: "Save as" (press F12) and save the edited file IN ITS ORIGINAL LOCATION but under a different name.
    Now, in Windows 10, the situation is different:
    • In Windows Explorer I open a .jpg file from anywhere in my file system by right mouse clicking and choosing "edit"
    • After editing: "Save as" (F12) opens a dialogue box that suggests I save the file, NOT in its original location, but in a location that is either the default "pictures" directory or the directory that was previously used as a "save as" location in Paint (these locations are stored in the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Paint\Recent File List")

Now I'd like very much to get the old, Windows 8 type situation back because this does not work for me! It's very inconvenient to have to scroll and click my way through the "save as" dialogue box until I finally find the directory where the edited file was stored in the first place! Why o why does Windows not remember this location?
    I've searched through the internet but it seems nobody else has this problem. I've searched the registry for the word "paint" but was not able to find a setting that would suggest to have some influence on the default saving location of Paint.

Can someone please, please help me? It's driving me nuts! And it's sooo frustrating knowing that it used to work like a charm in WIN8.1 and before.

To clarify the difficulty I experience I perhaps should add that the jpg files I most frequently edit are located on shares on my NAS in paths such as:
    M:\1_KLAS\Bach\Kerk\Jos van Veldhoven\Matthäus Passion, BWV 244 (24-88 2010)\scans\001.jpg
    As you can see, that's buried quite deeply into the file system! And so it costs all the more time and effort to find my way back from the previously edited jpg, say:
    M:\1_KLAS\Bruckner\Orkest\Chailly\Symfonie Nr.6 & Wolf - 4 Goethe Lieder (Goerne, KCO)\scans\001.jpg

P.S. I read somewhere that the "save as" dialogue boxes for Paint and Notepad should be basically the same. But... when I use Notepad to edit some txt file and afterwards use the "save as" option, it does direct me to the original location of the edited file, just as it used to do in Windows 8.1! That tells me that it should still be possible to get the old "save as" behaviour back for Paint. (Or am I being too optimistic here?)
    P.P.S. F12 does not work anymore in Notepad. You have to go through the menu "File" -> "Save as..." That's also a pain in the ass

Which registry key will do the trick for me?

hvaleton, Aug 12, 2022
  4. Geethu B Win User

Making HDD as default saving location instead of sdd for files

Hi Kiefer,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

I suggest you to try the following steps to change default saving locations. Check if it helps.

• Click on Start and click on
      Settings.

• Open System and click on
      Storage in the left-pane.

• Under the section Save Locations in the
      right-pane, select the appropriate location to which you want to save files.

• Restart the computer and check if it helps.
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Aug 12, 2022
Thema:

1. Saved File location not remembered - Similar Threads - Saved File location

2. Saved File location not remembered

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saved File location not remembered: I'm having a weird issue with windows 10, where software doesn't remember where the file is on open files.Eg I have two separate documents open, hit save on one and it saves into the same folder as the other file that is open. So you can imagine I have documents been saved...
  3. Saved File location not remembered

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Saved File location not remembered: I'm having a weird issue with windows 10, where software doesn't remember where the file is on open files.Eg I have two separate documents open, hit save on one and it saves into the same folder as the other file that is open. So you can imagine I have documents been saved...
  4. saving files and opening file location

saving files and opening file location: Is it possible to open the file location automatically once saving a document in a file. Usually when i print to pdf something or save it to a file I need to locate it to use it eg. send in an email or drop in my google drive. ....
  5. saving files and opening file location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    saving files and opening file location: Is it possible to open the file location automatically once saving a document in a file. Usually when i download something or save it to a file I need to locate it to use it eg. send in an email or drop in my google drive. ....
  6. saving files and opening file location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    saving files and opening file location: Is it possible to open the file location automatically once saving a document in a file. Usually when i download something or save it to a file I need to locate it to use it eg. send in an email or drop in my google drive. ....
  7. I want File Explorer to remember the last save location

I want File Explorer to remember the last save location: I want File Explorer in Windows 10 to remember the last save location directory / last used directory. This would save me many many steps every day. As I recall, Windows 7 File Explorer had this feature. Is it gone? If not, how do I access this feature?...
  8. saving in a file location not allowed

saving in a file location not allowed: I am trying to use a program called ccomp, its a stand alone efi program I use to tune efi vehicles, my old laptop crashed, got his new one and installed the program, went well, but when I go to save a file in the program it says please contact sytem admin due to I do have...
  9. Saving file location defaults

Saving file location defaults: So specifically with PDF files. When I do a "save as" or sign with a digital signature, it brings up the explorer window. The explorer window opens to the file location of the last file I saved a PDF in. I would like explorer to default the the folder the file I am working...
  10. Locating saved files

in Windows 10 Support
    Locating saved files: Windows 10 seems to have a mind of its own when I save files. I use "Save as"the first time and expect it to continue saving to the same location that I specified initially. But no, click on "Save" and it saves it in any one of a number of places so I end up with several...