Windows 10: Saved Locked Folder to Ext. HD. and Can't Open after Reset

Discus and support Saved Locked Folder to Ext. HD. and Can't Open after Reset in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Dell desktop with Windows 10 was acting up so I opted to do a "Reset my PC" including deleting all files and folders. I've backed up my files and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rockinroller, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Saved Locked Folder to Ext. HD. and Can't Open after Reset

My Dell desktop with Windows 10 was acting up so I opted to do a "Reset my PC" including deleting all files and folders. I've backed up my files and folders to an external drive once a month, but performed an extra backup just before the Reset process. The most important folder--all of my "personal" stuff including passwords, tax accounting, family pictures, etc--was locked by me as I kept it on my Desktop and I wanted to limit inadvertent access to the folder by others.

In the back up process, I did what I always had done monthly: I opened the external drive's window and "slid" the Folder's icon over to the HD and let it load (I never unlocked the folder on my Desktop first, to reveal the contents, then moved over the contents in-bulk--I just moved the entire folder over and into the ext. HD). Never having had previous occasion to move that saved folder from the ext. HD and back to my Desktop, I did have to do that after the OS reset. Well, guess what: While the master folder copied on to my Desktop, NONE of the contents of the sub folders that contained documents, pictures, etc) came over with it. In fact, after going back into my ext. HD and seeing the list of all the documents, files, etc still there, EACH HAS A PADLOCK on its icon. When I click to open, say, an Excel file entitled "Websites 2016", I get a pop up that looks the attached. NONE of the files will open within the master Personal Folder. I've tried all of the right click/security setting changes and nothing changes. Is there any way I am going to be able to open these docs ever again? Or am I screwed in that they were not saved into the ext. HD before unlocking the Folder as it appeared on my Desktop before resetting?

:)

rockinroller, Aug 10, 2016

2. Saved PW Protected Folder to ext HD. Reset Windows 10. Can't Open Folder Contents!

None of that helps. How can this be considered "data loss" when the files and folders are listed, including the size of each, etc?

MotownRocker, Aug 10, 2016
  3. Saved PW Protected Folder to ext HD. Reset Windows 10. Can't Open Folder Contents!

Hi,

It is considered data loss. However, you may try to follow the instructions on this

link.

Keep us posted.

Karina Aris, Aug 10, 2016
  4. Saved Locked Folder to Ext. HD. and Can't Open after Reset

Copy them back to there Original location and than try to open them.
    Preferably copy them to Desktop folder and try to open them

manish9009, Aug 10, 2016
  5. I tried copying the folder back on to my Desktop. I tried copying it on to my other computer (a laptop running Windows 10 also). I even took the HD to a family member's house and had him connect it to his computer. All the same results: Within a few seconds, a pop up appears that stops the process, stating: "Do you want to copy this folder without encryption?" Followed by: "A problem is preventing this folder from being encrypted". I have an option of YES, SKIP or CANCEL. I've tried all three. If I select YES, the folder "loads" on to my Desktop with its name. Then when I open it, all the sub folders are listed with their correct names. However there's no files anywhere in them.

rockinroller, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Saved Locked Folder to Ext. HD. and Can't Open after Reset

1. Saved Locked Folder to Ext. HD. and Can't Open after Reset - Similar Threads - Saved Locked Folder

2. Can't open app after reseting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open app after reseting: Hey after resetting an app I can't open it. For example I've tried to open the app through windows search but whenever I click it, it won't open/run. And when I try to get to the app's setting the app doesn't appear there. App > Apps & Features....
  3. Can't open app after reseting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open app after reseting: Hey after resetting an app I can't open it. For example I've tried to open the app through windows search but whenever I click it, it won't open/run. And when I try to get to the app's setting the app doesn't appear there. App > Apps & Features....
  4. Ext. HD Keeps Disappearing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ext. HD Keeps Disappearing: I bought a WD Elements Portable model number WDBUZG0010BBK-WESN. It keeps disappearing and I have to unplug it and plug it back in. I tried these suggestions: Fix WD External Hard Drive Not Working/Recognized/Showing UP Error – EaseUS I also changed the drive letter. But it...
  5. Ext USB Drive Folders Empty after BSOD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ext USB Drive Folders Empty after BSOD: I had a BSOD yesterday while unplugging a USB camera from an active USB extension cable connected to my PC. The system rebooted and everything seemed fine. Until today when I attempted to back up some files to my 8TB Seagate USB drive which is connected to this PC. The...
  6. Can't save to this folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't save to this folder: I'm trying to resize a picture in my photos app. When I click save I get the message, we can't save to this folder. Two days ago, it worked just fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-save-to-this-folder/6e3e5c94-44a7-4968-aa47-d32fbaa2fb5b
  7. Ext. USB HD no longer mounts

Ext. USB HD no longer mounts: It is a 2 TB Western Digital Elements USB hard drive. It used to be divided into two partitions which worked perfectly. I than wanted to re-combine the two partitions into one. I went into DiscManagement and deleted each partition. I expected to mount it again as a single 2...
  8. USB 3.0 ext hd's crazy slow

USB 3.0 ext hd's crazy slow: So Upgraded (clean full install, of Win 10 Pro x64. I have ext USB 3.0 drives, regular SATA III drives and pretty new. In win 8.1 they were lightning fast. Now in win 10 Pro they are so slow that sometimes the cursor just has a spinning fit. Thats just right clicking on it...
  9. USB 3.0 ext hd's crazy slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB 3.0 ext hd's crazy slow: So Upgraded (clean full install, of Win 10 Pro x64. I have ext USB 3.0 drives, regular SATA III drives and pretty new. In win 8.1 they were lightning fast. Now in win 10 Pro they are so slow that sometimes the cursor just has a spinning fit. Thats just right clicking on it...
  10. Ext USB HD's will not mount

Ext USB HD's will not mount: Have 2 Seagate SRD00F2 3TB USB ext hard drives in a mirror configuration using MS Storage Spaces. Were working when I shut down yesterday, but would not work this morning. Drives do not show up in Device Manager. However, when starting the drives after boot, two entries show...