Windows 10: Saved Notepad document opening blank

Discus and support Saved Notepad document opening blank in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My boyfriend and I just moved into a new apartment, and we won’t have internet until tomorrow. My boyfriend writes scripts for videos he makes using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Parasaurolophus, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Saved Notepad document opening blank

My boyfriend and I just moved into a new apartment, and we won’t have internet until tomorrow. My boyfriend writes scripts for videos he makes using online programs generally, but as we’re without internet for the time being, he’s been using Notepad instead.

In the past two days, he’s put about 7 hours into his script. He saved it into Notepad. Today he went to open it and the entire document was blank. It allows me to highlight it when I open it and blue text goes down for a while, so it appears he’s written a lot, but it’s all blank like someone held the space bar down for a couple of minutes.

I’ve tried ctrl + z, nothing. Tried copying the text and pasting it in another Notepad document or pasting it into the search bar into file explorer or WordPad and it’s all blank. It’s text of some sort because I can move my cursor and put it in different parts, but it’s all blank.

I’ve also tried restoring previous versions, but when I select that, it tells me no previous versions of the document exist.

I’ve tried highlighting all the text in the document and changing font, size, etc., but it all stays blank.

It’s incredibly frustrating. He’s already given up on recovering it and has started re-writing the script, but I’d love to be able to recover it for him.

Is there any way to, or is it a lost cause?

:)

Parasaurolophus, Dec 21, 2018
  2. David Haz Win User

my document that i save us coming up blank

Hi Jude,

If a saved document is coming up blank when opening it, it could be that the document is corrupted when it was saved, or that the document was not properly saved, etc. For us to isolate the issue about a document that opens up blank, kindly respond to the
    question below:

• What application are you using to open or save the document?
    • Is the issue specific to one document or with every document that you open?

We look forward to your response.

David Haz, Dec 21, 2018
  3. Notepad- opening a new document

In a notepad document without inputted data, if I click File -> New, is there an action taken? I mean, will it open a new blank notepad document or it will remain the same ( no action taken ) ?

JayrSoriano, Dec 21, 2018
  4. Saved Notepad document opening blank

Saved note in Notepad opens blank

Hi Thistlefur,

There could be a number of factors as to why you are experiencing issues with a file on your computer. One possible cause could be corrupted system files.

I'd like to know more about your concern. Kindly verify if you were able to open the file before after saving it. Is the issue specific to a particular notepad file? Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

Meanwhile, I suggest that you run the System File Checker and DISM tool to scan for any corrupted system files. Here's how:

1. On the Start menu, type Command Prompt. Right-click the result, and then select
      Run as administrator.
    2. Copy or type each command followed by hitting Enter.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

You can also restore the previous version of the notepad file. To do this, follow the steps below:

1. Right-click the notepad file and then select Properties.
    2. Click the Previous Versions tab.
    3. Under File versions, select a version you would like to restore. Click
      Open to check for the contents. If you're satisfied with the contents of the file, you can click
      Restore. You will be prompted to overwrite the existing file version that you have.

Let us know how it goes and we'll assist you further if needed.

Monica Cam, Dec 21, 2018
Thema:

Saved Notepad document opening blank

1. Saved Notepad document opening blank - Similar Threads - Saved Notepad document

2. my saved notepad documents won't open on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my saved notepad documents won't open on Windows 10: None of my saved notepad or PDF documents will open on Windows 10.I get the feeling it's because I keep declining the Windows 11 upgrade......
  3. my saved notepad documents won't open on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my saved notepad documents won't open on Windows 10: None of my saved notepad or PDF documents will open on Windows 10.I get the feeling it's because I keep declining the Windows 11 upgrade......
  4. my saved notepad documents won't open on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. All notepad documents open as blank

All notepad documents open as blank: If I try to open any saved note, written with Notepad, windows simply opens a new blank Notepad file instead. I have to drag and drop my saved note to the Notepad app to actually open and edit it. Already tried DISM -RestoreHealth, with no file corruptions found...
  6. Text Documents and Notepads Won't Open?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Text Documents and Notepads Won't Open?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/chqnging [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jub4yq/text_documents_and_notepads_wont_open/
  7. Notepad Files Open Blank

Notepad Files Open Blank: Recently, I've noticed that some random notepad files are no longer containing any actual text. I've attempted "Ctrl+*" to check if maybe the text was hidden, which it wasn't. I've tried to check for any previous versions, of which there are none. I've even tried Command...
  8. Can Notepad language be converted to English? My saved documents on Notepad are not...

Can Notepad language be converted to English? My saved documents on Notepad are not...: Please notify me when there is help. Thanks! * Moved from Mobile Devices https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-notepad-language-be-converted-to-english-my/b3e9c766-84b3-4dde-b8af-488b639deab2
  9. My saved word documents open to a blank screen. How can I retrieve these saved documents?

My saved word documents open to a blank screen. How can I retrieve these saved documents?: When I click on a saved word document that I want to revise a blank screen appears. How can I retrieve my saved documents? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-saved-word-documents-open-to-a-blank-screen-how/e5a9d256-731a-4476-9d94-47cbe008b7f1"
  10. NotePad opens saved files minimized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NotePad opens saved files minimized: All of my saved notepad txt files open minimized. How can I have them open maximized? Thanks. I've already tried Type notepad in start menu search field> right click it> properties> shortcut tab> for the 'Run' option, select 'Maximized'. Apply> ok. If I make a notepad...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. .txt file opens blank

2. notepad blank on windows

3. notepad is blank on windows 10

4. notepad document blank ,
  5. notepad saved file as blank,
  6. saved notepad opened with no content