Windows 10: Saving a system image leaves ghost data in a separate partition (but on same physical drive).

Discus and support Saving a system image leaves ghost data in a separate partition (but on same physical drive). in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Why is it that every time I save a system image using Windows' built in System Image software there is ghost data that ends up in a separate partition?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gabe1972, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Gabe1972 Win User

Saving a system image leaves ghost data in a separate partition (but on same physical drive).

Why is it that every time I save a system image using Windows' built in System Image software there is ghost data that ends up in a separate partition? It happens every single time. And I call it ghost data because there is nothing there, even when I show "hidden items". It does it on both my second internal HDD, where I save system images and other data, and my external HDD, where I save system images.

In the picture below, I just saved a system image to a partition (N) on an external drive. Ghost data was left on another partition (Q). The only way that I can even eject the drive is to format the partition with the ghost data, or else it will give me a warning about the drive still being in use. I wish I would have gotten the snapshot of the warning.

The partition it chooses to put the ghost data in varies, but it's always on the same physical drive (internal HDD or external HDD). It sometimes even puts it into a partition that has actual files and such, which is very aggravating, as I have to transfer the files to a different partition so I can then format the partition with the ghost data.

And, yes, I do realize that I can just shut down the computer and disconnect the drive, but I will have to do that every single time, as when I next connect the drive it gives me the same notice if the ghost data is still there, even though I didn't save a system image during that particular session. It's VERY annoying.

But, again, why does it always do this? Three different computers. One with W10 1809 Pro, one with W10 1803 Pro, and one with W8.1 Home. And the external drive doesn't matter. I have three, and it does it with all of them, and with all three computers.

I don't recall it doing this with Windows 7, nor Windows 8 for sure, but it's done it for sure with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

Any ideas as to what in the heck is going on?

C is my internal SSD. F through L is my internal HDD. M through Q is my External HDD, which is only temporarily connected and only when I need to use it. I know saving images on an internal drive is not a great idea, but I do so anyway, as it's a separate drive and not my system drive. Normally. I save three months worth of images, and one per month, but with my recent update to 1809 and recent new External HDD things got a little messed up. But, normally you would see images from Sept, Oct and Nov on the internal HDD and external HDD, with the internal and external drives being duplicate with the images, sort of like H and M. I do this for redundancy. In Jan you'll see an image on each from Nov, an image on each from Dec, and an image on each from Jan, and they're normally done one right after the other.

Thanks for the help.

BTW, I've never tried saving an image on an external drive with only one partition created, so I don't know what would happen, as in if it would leave ghost data, and if it did, where it would deposit it. Perhaps it would, in that instance, cross the divide and leave it on a partition on another drive.

Saving a system image leaves ghost data in a separate partition (but on same physical drive). 5e57c230-5111-4a5e-b7bd-ceb9f25b7314?upload=true.jpg

Saving a system image leaves ghost data in a separate partition (but on same physical drive). fbf30104-91a5-47cd-bf6b-78b13b9b62d6?upload=true.jpg

Saving a system image leaves ghost data in a separate partition (but on same physical drive). 358ce5be-ae14-44c5-9236-3f6b95d08aaf?upload=true.jpg

:)

Gabe1972, Nov 20, 2018
  2. Ken Blake Win User

Which is a better method, System and User Data on different partitions of same drive, or same partition of that drive?

Two points:

1. Separating data from Windows is a false comfort if it’s done with the thought that the data will be safe if Windows ever has to be reinstalled. The reason I call it a false comfort is because I fear that many people will rely on that separation,
    think that their data is safe there, and therefore do not take appropriate steps to back it up. In truth the data is not safe there. Having to reinstall Windows is only one of the dangers to someone’s hard drive, and not even the most likely one. This kind
    of “safeguard” falls into the same category as a partition for backup of other partitions; it leaves you susceptible to simultaneous loss of the original and backup to many of the most common dangers that affect the entire physical drive, not just the particular
    partition. Safety comes from a strong backup regimen, not from how you partition.

However for some people it can be a good idea to separate Windows and programs on the one hand from data on the other, putting each of the two types into separate partitions. I think that most people’s partitioning scheme should be based on their backup scheme,
    and backup schemes generally fall into two types: imaging the entire hard drive or backup of data only. If you backup data only, that backup is usually facilitated by having a separate partition with data only; that permits backing up just that partition easily,
    without having to collect bits and pieces from here and there. On the other hand, for those who backup by creating an image of the entire drive, there is usually little, if any, benefit to separating data in a partition of its own.

By the way, in all fairness, I should point out that there are many well-respected people who recommend a separate partition for Windows, regardless of your backup scheme. Their arguments haven’t convinced me, but there are clearly two different views here.

2. Some people make a separate partition to store backups of their other partition(s). People who rely on such a "backup" are just kidding themselves. It's only very slightly better than no backup at all, because it
    leaves you susceptible to simultaneous loss of the original and backup to many of the most common dangers: head crashes and other kinds of drive failure, severe power glitches, nearby lightning strikes, virus attacks, even theft of the computer. In my view,
    secure backup needs to be on removable media, and not kept in the computer.

Ken Blake, Nov 20, 2018
  3. System Image on Same Drive

Want to save a System Image on a separate partition on the same physical drive.

I used Disk Management to shrink the original volume and create a 50 Gig E: Partition formatted in NTSF.

The backup found the E: drive. Started the back up and all went fine until at the end, then the Error message popped up saying "The back up failed. The specified backup storage location has the shadow copy storage on another volume. (0x80780038)"

I had no problem saving the image to an external drive before creating the separate E: partition to try and also save to it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Robertoe_500, Nov 20, 2018
  4. BulldogXX Win User

Saving a system image leaves ghost data in a separate partition (but on same physical drive).

Which is a better method, System and User Data on different partitions of same drive, or same partition of that drive?

The best solution is to keep Windows and all your software on the system partition (CSaving a system image leaves ghost data in a separate partition (but on same physical drive). :) and your data (documents, music, pictures, favorites, etc.) on a separate partition. A separate physical hard drive is even better. There are many advantages to this
    setup, including:

1- You can backup your software and your data on different schedules and with different applications (e.g., an image for your software and folder backup for your data.)

2- You can independently restore your software and your data.

3- You can easily move your data to another computer.

BulldogXX, Nov 20, 2018
Thema:

1. Saving a system image leaves ghost data in a separate partition (but on same physical drive). - Similar Threads - Saving system image

2. How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?: Hi, I was following a YouTube guide on moving everything to a new SSD everything being basically just windows and I ran into a problem. I was using MiniTool partition wizard, the tool restarted the PC but about 4 hours later I still had a black screen with white writing...
  3. How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?: Hi, I was following a YouTube guide on moving everything to a new SSD everything being basically just windows and I ran into a problem. I was using MiniTool partition wizard, the tool restarted the PC but about 4 hours later I still had a black screen with white writing...
  4. How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives: Attempting to upgrade windows 10 to windows 11. When converting c driveoperating system/boot/system drive from MBR to GPT I discovered that my boot partition and system partition are on separate drives, so I cannot convert. To fix this I am installing a new primary boot drive...
  6. Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives: Attempting to upgrade windows 10 to windows 11. When converting c driveoperating system/boot/system drive from MBR to GPT I discovered that my boot partition and system partition are on separate drives, so I cannot convert. To fix this I am installing a new primary boot drive...
  7. Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Dual-booting the same system image in two partitions of the same SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual-booting the same system image in two partitions of the same SSD: Hi all! My laptop currently has two partitions: the Primary one & one storing files. Due to work, I'd like to create a new partition & install exactly the same image as on my Primary drive, which I'll tweak over time. My Windows is OEM, as it was installed by the...
  9. Data on separate partition or drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Data on separate partition or drive?: Wondering how Windows 10 deals with putting data on a separate partition or drive. Does it use the same general method as in Windows 7, where it re-maps (for example) "Documents" to a folder on a different letter drive path? So that C:\Users\{user}\Documents becomes...
  10. Image / History on separate partitions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Image / History on separate partitions?: I want to create two separate partitions on a portable usb drive. On one partition, I'd like to create a system image using the windows image-creating capability. On the other partition, I would like to use the windows history capability to maintain a continuously updated...