Windows 10: Saving and restoring the running state of a program?

Discus and support Saving and restoring the running state of a program? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I really like VM snapshots, but VMs have very heavy overhead, being essentially a computer within a computer. Thus, I'm wondering if there's software... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Raident, May 4, 2021.

1. Raident Win User

Saving and restoring the running state of a program?

I really like VM snapshots, but VMs have very heavy overhead, being essentially a computer within a computer. Thus, I'm wondering if there's software out there that can provide the same functionality as a VM snapshot without being a VM - something that can save the running state of a program as it currently exists in main memory and then restore the program back to that state at a later time?

:)

Raident, May 4, 2021
  2. Raident Win User

I really like VM snapshots, but VMs have very heavy overhead, being essentially a computer within a computer.

Thus, I'm wondering if there's software out there that can provide the same functionality as a VM snapshot without being a VM - something that can save the running state of a program as it currently exists in main memory and then restore the program back to that state at a later time?

Raident, May 5, 2021
  3. LMiller7 Win User

The only way you can save and restore the running state of a program is to save and restore the entire environment in which it is running. That could be by means of a virtual machine or hibernation. There is no other way.

Applications and their operating environment are not self contained. A good part of it is kernel memory and this cannot be saved and later restored in a workable state. Applications also frequently have internal links to other processes. There is much, much more

For this to be possible would require a very different kind of OS. It is not Windows, or Linux, or Mac OS, or any OS I am aware of.

On another forum I have seen a very similar question. It was answered by a true expert. He has Windows source code access and has given training to Microsoft developers on Windows internals. He said it was not possible.

LMiller7, May 5, 2021
  4. AndreTen Win User

Others already said .. it's not possible at the time. Interesting, this is very similar to a feature I was asking in Feedback hub for years.. but not only for one program, but for a set of programs (their position, state, etc)

You can get very basic of this via History - Task View

AndreTen, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Saving and restoring the running state of a program? - Similar Threads - Saving restoring running

2. Fresh Install, How to Save clean state for future restore instead of clean install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fresh Install, How to Save clean state for future restore instead of clean install?: I just installed fresh Windows 10 from a USB Drive created with the Media Creation Tool. I've now updated everything, installed all the necessary drivers (wifi, bluetooth, audio, graphics) and set up my microsoft account, edge browser with extensions and programs I always...
  3. Restore to a default state on restart?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Restore to a default state on restart?: Not sure if this software still exists but back in the day of Windows XP my school had a system where every time you rebooted the computer it reverted to a default stateim guessing an image. It was so fast it only took a few minutes for the computer to start up. I think the...
  4. Program to create a save state of current desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Program to create a save state of current desktop: A friend of mine likes to use separate desktops for work and play (the ones you can access using win+tab). However, since he doesn't have a great PC, he was having performance issues that probably had something to do with his RAM usage being too high as a result of having...
  5. Restore or Save Point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore or Save Point: Please note my System Protection is turned on. My questions are as follows: 1. When Windows 10 updates, does Windows 10 automatically create a new system restore point prior to its update? 2. If I were to manually create a new restore point now, do I click on the Create...
  6. Restoring Programs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Restoring Programs: I got a partition drive error that told me to restore the computer. it restored it to Windows 7. Against all odds I was able to download and reinstall Windows 10. I backed up all of my programs on another drive before the recovery process. The question - How do I get them...
  7. program not running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    program not running: I have installed a program from eleksmaker (laser engraver) this program works well on my old computer but I've a second computer with win10 home on it but this program will not run on the new computer even after several download attempts. I have tried for over two days to...
  8. Running program

Running program: unable to run a program due to denovu drive error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/running-program/8fa3a698-fdf0-4898-93eb-8f93fc203aa5
  9. Save state between reboots

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Save state between reboots: Hi all, my laptop runs Windows 10 Pro and I use multiple workspaces (or desktops). I use one for most things, a second one for a course I'm taking on becoming a front-end web developer, and a third one for a eBook I'm going through on programming/machine learning. The second...
  10. Restore back to factory state

Restore back to factory state: I managed to screw things up pretty bad, and want to restore back to factory state, However I can no longer access my restore partition because Windows 10 has its restore software there when I hit F11. This is an HP Pavilion 17. Anyone know of any tools or a way to get my old...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows save running program status

2. windows save process state