Windows 10: Saving files locally only?

Discus and support Saving files locally only? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I would like to save all my word, excel, etc files locally and not to the onedrive/cloud. I have set the default saving location on the local versions... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by silsurf, Jun 27, 2020.

1. silsurf Win User

Saving files locally only?

I would like to save all my word, excel, etc files locally and not to the onedrive/cloud.

I have set the default saving location on the local versions of word and Excel, but when I am using 365 it only shows the onedrive as a default location, there doesn't seem to be any other choices?

Part of my question is how can I make sure that when I create a new document from the Outlook window that I use the local version of Word and not the web version? When can I set that preference?

Hope I am being clear, basically I want to save all my files locally no matter what version of Word or Excel I am using, thanks very much.

-Henry

:)

silsurf, Jun 27, 2020
  2. Tatty_One Win User

Saves log files ?

You can either read the files in Windows or my preferred method is.....

Download CCcleaner from here...........

CCleaner Professional | Try the world’s most trusted PC cleaner, free!

You can then run cleaner, you will see the log files listed, then if you right click you can save as a text file and then have a read. You may also get an "error reporting" log listed seperatly.

Tatty_One, Jun 27, 2020
  3. Saving a file to a folder

Hi Dean,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I will definitely assist you

It would be grateful if you could provide us few questions answer to understand the issue better and to provide you better assistance.

• How are you accessing emails through web browser or through a mail client (mail app, outlook 2010/2013)?

• Are you trying to save the email attached file? Please elaborate.
    If you are using Outlook email, let’s try simple steps and check if it helps. Try the below steps provided.

Step 1.

If you want to save only the attached file from the email, try the below step.

• Right click on the attached file and click on Save as.

• Now select a folder location where you want to save the attached file.
    Step 2.

If you want to save the file along with the email try the below steps provided.

• Open the mail you want to save and click on File on the top of the right side.

• Click on Save As and select a folder location where you want to save the email.
    Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Jun 27, 2020
  4. Saving files locally only?

Windows 10 Excel 2016 wont save files

Hi Peter

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

• Are you able to save other files? What happens when you try to save any images from internet explorer?

As I understand that you are trying to use local account instead of Microsoft account and you don’t have permissions to save the files in any folder.

Method 1: I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key and type Settings.
    • Select Account.
    • Select your Account.
    • Click on Sign in with local account instead of Microsoft Account.
    • It will prompt for Microsoft Account Password.
    • Enter the password then you will be able to use Local account.

Note: If you are using local account then you will not be able to use many apps and cortana which requires Microsoft account to access.

Method 2: As you have mentioned that you don’t want to save the files in the cloud, when you save the file option you can browse it to the any location on the computer and save it.

For file permission issue follow the below command to provide the permission and check if it helps.

takeown /f folder_name /r /d y

icacls folder_name /grant username_or_usergroup:F /t /q

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jun 27, 2020
Thema:

Saving files locally only?

1. Saving files locally only? - Similar Threads - Saving files locally

2. Saving files locally only and not on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Saving files locally only and not on OneDrive: I don't want to access my files on any other device. For now, I want all my files stored locally on my PC. I've disabled backup to OneDrive and now all I have in my local Documents folder is a shortcut called "Where are my files" which links to OneDrive.All I want to do is...
  3. Saving files locally only and not on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Saving files locally only and not on OneDrive: I don't want to access my files on any other device. For now, I want all my files stored locally on my PC. I've disabled backup to OneDrive and now all I have in my local Documents folder is a shortcut called "Where are my files" which links to OneDrive.All I want to do is...
  4. Adobe files saved to local drive will only open as one drive files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adobe files saved to local drive will only open as one drive files: I save Adobe files to my local computer drive - not to One Drive. But when I select an Adobe file from documents saved on "This PC" they still open only as "One Drive" files. How do you stop this from happening.....
  5. Adobe files saved to local drive will only open as one drive files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adobe files saved to local drive will only open as one drive files: I save Adobe files to my local computer drive - not to One Drive. But when I select an Adobe file from documents saved on "This PC" they still open only as "One Drive" files. How do you stop this from happening.....
  6. Adobe files saved to local drive will only open as one drive files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. copying onedrive local files only

copying onedrive local files only: Hi, I want to copy files from a Onedrive folder to another volume, but only the files that are saved locally in my computers and not the ones in the cloud. I hoped copy or xcopy would have such an option, but one I try to copy *.* to another folder it starts downloading...
  8. Notepad only partially saving files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Notepad only partially saving files?: I wrote a bunch of notes in notepad last night for my story and saved it multiple times yet several chunks of the text are missing entirely today when I open it up. But it's not the last stuff I wrote that's missing, I wrote an outline, and the entire outline is there yet...
  9. Saving or Exporting files only creates temporary file

Saving or Exporting files only creates temporary file: I've recently just bought a new laptop and installed my usual software on it but I've just noticed that when I create artwork and save/export it to a .png it only creates a .tmp$$ file. Now I can remove the temp part up to the .png extension and it'll work but that's a fair...
  10. ARK Local Save Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ARK Local Save Files: My ARK world randomly became inaccessible. Anyone know where the files are located? I can only find the Steam version and guides for that version of the game. Help would be appreciated!...