Windows 10: Saving files on OneDrive deletes thumbnails

Discus and support Saving files on OneDrive deletes thumbnails in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good day, I use a 3D modelling software called Revit, which creates a preview thumbnail of the current view when you save, which can then be viewed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Connor Fitzgerald, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Saving files on OneDrive deletes thumbnails

Good day,

I use a 3D modelling software called Revit, which creates a preview thumbnail of the current view when you save, which can then be viewed from Windows Explorer so that you have a preview of the model file before opening it:

Saving files on OneDrive deletes thumbnails e7a2e097-c0a8-4c1b-aa3c-763e5b44f1b7?upload=true.png

However, when I save these files to my OneDrive, they lose their preview and appear as below:

Saving files on OneDrive deletes thumbnails 93dbb3e3-b363-455c-b928-a32e3bdcc686?upload=true.png

Even if I resave, the thumbnails stay there temporarily but within a short period they are cleared. I imagine it has something to do with the synchronisation?

Please advise as to how I could resolve this. The previews are important for visually distinguishing between types.

:)

Connor Fitzgerald, Jul 8, 2019

2. Thumbnails of ICO files down't show up if stored in OneDrive

Ever since Microsoft OneDrive updated to Version 2017 (Build 17.3.7059.0930), all my PDF files that I have stored show thumbnails which never happened before. Great.

Saving files on OneDrive deletes thumbnails [​IMG]

However, all my ICO (*.ico) files no longer show thumbnails after they are synched like they used to. Here is a screenshot I took showing the new icons I saved yesterday (which haven't been synched) and older ones that are synched.

Saving files on OneDrive deletes thumbnails [​IMG]

How do I get my icon thumbnails back?

What I've already done:

1. Rebuild icon cache (Go to C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer; delete all iconcache_*.db files)
    2. Icrease size of icon cache (Regedit; KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer; New String Value "Max cached icons"; Set to 8MB "8192")

Silverfish2910, Jul 8, 2019
  3. Utilities that I run can no longer automatically save files to my OneDrive

Hi Alan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To set OneDrive as your default location to save your documents and files, follow the below steps.

1. Click on the OneDrive icon from the Taskbar area > Click on the menu button (three-dots) on the top-right corner > Click on
      Settings > Go to the Auto Save tab.
    2. Using the drop-down menu, select OneDrive for
      Desktop
      , Documents, and Pictures and click on
      OK.
    3. Once you complete the above steps, restart the computer once and try saving the files generated from utilities and check if it is saving in
      C:\Users\myname\OneDrive\Documents folder.

If you are still facing the same issue, then I suggest you to contact OneDrive support for further assistance on this issue by following the below steps.

• Login to
      https://onedrive.com/
    • Click the ? Help icon on the top banner of the page.
    • Select Email OneDrive support for the further assistance.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jul 8, 2019
  4. Jerry8A Win User

Saving files on OneDrive deletes thumbnails

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Jul 8, 2019
Thema:

Saving files on OneDrive deletes thumbnails

1. Saving files on OneDrive deletes thumbnails - Similar Threads - Saving files OneDrive

2. File is not saving on OneDrive automatically

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File is not saving on OneDrive automatically: I am having problems with files I try to edit on my OneDrive.Previously all worked fine, espcially AutoSave.I am logged into OneDrive fine but when I try to save an Excel file I get this error...
  3. Deleting files on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting files on OneDrive: I deleted two Microsoft Word documents in the OneDrive Desktop folder. I exited the folder but the files are still there - but I can't open, rename, hide or delete them, only move their location on the Desktop screen, because the 'file location wasn't found'. Help - what do I...
  4. Deleting files on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting files on OneDrive: I deleted two Microsoft Word documents in the OneDrive Desktop folder. I exited the folder but the files are still there - but I can't open, rename, hide or delete them, only move their location on the Desktop screen, because the 'file location wasn't found'. Help - what do I...
  5. Deleting files on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Issues with saving after deleting onedrive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issues with saving after deleting onedrive: Hello, I uninstalled OneDrive, and now when I try to save anything to my desktop, I get the error message "The directory name is invalid." It shows that the path I'm using to save is C:\users\clair\desktop\filename. How can I fix this issue? If I save something in a folder on...
  7. OneDrive, files on demand, and thumbnails

OneDrive, files on demand, and thumbnails: When "Files on demand" is enabled, I can't see the file thumbnails in folders inside OneDrive, even if the file is actually downloaded. How can I fix this?...
  8. Deleting and Saving Files

Deleting and Saving Files: I have Windows 10 and Microsoft 365 on a laptop. I am trying to understand the interaction between files stored on my pc and files stored with OneDrive in the cloud. Let's say I create a word document and save it as "Page" in my documents folder under OneDrive on my laptop....
  9. OneDrive and File Deletion

OneDrive and File Deletion: On Windows 10, using MS File Explorer to elete a file that is in a directory where the settings are set to keep a copy on the pC and on OneDrive. Whe I delete some files, I get this message which makes me suspecious that there is something wrong. This only started a week...
  10. Deleting files in OneDrive

Deleting files in OneDrive: I have a lot of files I want to delete, and it is easier to do on the desktop than on the web. I have multiple images that are not local, but I have the icons showing. When I delete them, they download before they will delete which takes an inordinate amount of time. Is there...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. saving pictures suddenly started saving thumnail