Windows 10: Saving, or exporting a virtual machine?

Discus and support Saving, or exporting a virtual machine? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; First of all, I want to be clear that I'm not asking about saving states or snapshots. I'm asking if there's a way to save, or export an actual virtual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by bfollowell, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Saving, or exporting a virtual machine?

First of all, I want to be clear that I'm not asking about saving states or snapshots. I'm asking if there's a way to save, or export an actual virtual machine without having to create it from scratch.

It's been a couple of years since I built my current rig and it's time to wipe it, install a couple of new hard drives, and start fresh. I hate to have to create my VMs from scratch though, install the OS and all my apps. Is there a way to save a VM so that I can use it again once I get my system back up and running and get Oracle VM Virtualbox reinstalled?

Thanks.

:)

bfollowell, Aug 26, 2020
  2. Brink Win User
    Brink, Aug 26, 2020
  3. Saving, or exporting a virtual machine?

First of all, I want to be clear that I'm not asking about saving states or snapshots. I'm asking if there's a way to save, or export an actual virtual machine without having to create it from scratch.

It's been a couple of years since I built my current rig and it's time to wipe it, install a couple of new hard drives, and start fresh. I hate to have to create my VMs from scratch though, install the OS and all my apps. Is there a way to save a VM so that I can use it again once I get my system back up and running and get Oracle VM Virtualbox reinstalled?

Thanks.

bfollowell, Aug 26, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Saving, or exporting a virtual machine?

Hi there
    @Bree

other simple ways -- simply copy the Virtual Machine's data files with file explorer if Windows Host or DD if Linux host (or backup / restore on Linux Hosts with rsync).

Other way - take macrium image (from within the VM) on new machine define HDD large enough but don't install guest OS, then have the iso of macrium stand alone recovery program, boot from it (in the VM) and then restore the OS from the restore media.

I wouldn't waste my time with "Official ways of export / import VM's" unless you've got things like "Linked clones etc". For individual VM's not necessary -. The Macrium method works whether Host is Windows or Linux -- you can also restore a VM created on a Linux host to a Windows one (if using VMWare or VBOX) and the other way around.

Note as well you can image a KVM/QEMU Windows VM with macrium free (again from with the VM) and restore to a VMWare system -- you'll need to adjust the virtual hardware though and possibly use the "Fix windows boot problems" from the stand alone Macrium restore (run again from Within the VM).

All these processes are known as V2V (Virtual to Virtual).

For copying KVM/QEMU Virtual machines to other Linux Hosts - the UUID (identifier is preserved) - for VMWare copies just boot and say I Moved it rather than I copied it at ist boot. I think for HYPER-V and VBOX in the VM's configuration file there's a UUID somewhere which you can set from the old VM --I've seen it somewhere but I can't remember.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Saving, or exporting a virtual machine? - Similar Threads - Saving exporting virtual

2. Virtual machine stuck in saved-critical state

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual machine stuck in saved-critical state: HelloI will start by noting that my virtual machine is stored on an external ssd to be used between two systems.One time I powered down the VM and unplugged my drive, when I came back to my pc in order to reopen the VM it's state was shown as saved-critical. I could not do...
  3. Virtual machine stuck in saved-critical state

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual machine stuck in saved-critical state: HelloI will start by noting that my virtual machine is stored on an external ssd to be used between two systems.One time I powered down the VM and unplugged my drive, when I came back to my pc in order to reopen the VM it's state was shown as saved-critical. I could not do...
  4. How to import, export, or clone Virtual Machines in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 News
    How to import, export, or clone Virtual Machines in Hyper-V: [IMG]This article helps you import, export, or clone virtual machines in Hyper-V on Windows 11/10. At times, you might want to move your virtual machine to another computer and start using it immediately. In such moments, you could use this guide to import, export, and close...
  5. Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Virtual Machine: So, I'm here to ask if using Windows in a VM virtual Machine Legal? Its cause I am not getting accurate answers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machine/c2e9e1fa-15e4-4532-9864-d114aa139b86
  6. virtual machines

virtual machines: I have windows 10 pro as my main os and i want a copy of the same os so i can play around with the system configurations without harming my main os. How can i do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machines/8896c12f-46cf-4120-a190-fb287326fdf3
  7. Virtual Machine

Virtual Machine: I recently installed Hyper-V on my Lenovo Windows 10 machine and am trying to set up a Virtual Machine. I saw Andre Da Costa's post on Groovypost.com in regards to this. His post was dated January 11, 2019. I have not been able to access the BIOS setup screen, as pictured...
  8. virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    virtual machine: I want to build an oracle VM. I have a new PC with UEFI I am not used to. It is set to the old BIOS and secure boot is disabled. I found virtualization by searching and chose to change virtualization from disabled toe enabled. Is this what I should have done to use Oracle's...
  9. Alternates for Save in Virtual Machine Connection application

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Alternates for Save in Virtual Machine Connection application: Any thoughts on this one..... I connect to my VM's using RDP, and the workstation using RDP does not have Hyper-V installed. From this workstation, I'd like to have a quick option to Save then shutdown or perhaps even take a Checkpoint, both of which are available in the...
  10. Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How to: Export Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 How to Export Hyper-V Virtual Machines in Windows 10 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and managed just as if they were...