Windows 10: Saving or locking desktop icons layout

Discus and support Saving or locking desktop icons layout in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, Do you know,trustworthy free of charge or paid third party solution to save the desktop icons layout in Windows 10 and 11. Even locking the desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Cousin Excel, Feb 27, 2024.

1. Saving or locking desktop icons layout

Hi, Do you know,trustworthy free of charge or paid third party solution to save the desktop icons layout in Windows 10 and 11. Even locking the desktop icons layout will help me. But in the "lock solution" the layout should not be automatic, it must stay locked as I had created.Thank you,Cousin Excel

:)

Cousin Excel, Feb 27, 2024

2. Desktop icon layout

I know there are threads on how to maintain icon layout position, but I find none of them to be adequate. Why can't Microsoft just add a simple feature to save and restore desktop icon positions? Or simply just not mess them all up in the first place? And
    no, unchecking the 'auto arrange' or 'Allow themes to change desktop icons' doesn't work. Just check the 'This PC' in the 'Desktop Icon Settings', apply, then remove it and your icon layout will be messed up. The User interface is one of the most important
    element of any software. The reason people put icons on the desktop is for ease and quick access to their favorite applications. Microsoft just don't seem to get that. It's something that's been bugging me ever since I started using Windows.

I would have liked to pick 'Incompetence' for 'Category', but it wasn't listed...

MathieuComeau, Feb 27, 2024
  3. How to lock desktop icons in place?

You can't lock desktop icons. But, as Steve suggests, you can record their positions ... and, if icons get moved, you can restore them to their saved positions.

margrave55, Feb 27, 2024
  4. AlphaUMi Win User

Saving or locking desktop icons layout

Icons Layout Backup

Hi! I wonder if there is a way or a program that allows to save the desktop icons positions and layout. I don't mean that I have an issue with icons not preserving their position after a reboot, I mean I would like to have a backup in order to restore my layout quickly, for example after restoring the icon cache ecc...

I remember that, in the XP times, there was a dll (well, two: one for saving and one for restoring). Any suggestion? Saving or locking desktop icons layout :)

AlphaUMi, Feb 27, 2024
Thema:

Saving or locking desktop icons layout

1. Saving or locking desktop icons layout - Similar Threads - Saving locking desktop

2. Saving or locking desktop icons layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Saving or locking desktop icons layout: Hi, Do you know,trustworthy free of charge or paid third party solution to save the desktop icons layout in Windows 10 and 11. Even locking the desktop icons layout will help me. But in the "lock solution" the layout should not be automatic, it must stay locked as I had...
  3. Saving or locking desktop icons layout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Saving or locking desktop icons layout: Hi, Do you know,trustworthy free of charge or paid third party solution to save the desktop icons layout in Windows 10 and 11. Even locking the desktop icons layout will help me. But in the "lock solution" the layout should not be automatic, it must stay locked as I had...
  4. Messed up desktop icon layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Messed up desktop icon layout: While I was playing Team Foretress 2 the screen glitched for a second and went back to normal. At first I didn't think much of it but when I closed the game now all of my desktop icons are screwed up, all of the other icons that don't fit get smooshed into the top left...
  5. Messed up desktop icon layout

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Messed up desktop icon layout: While I was playing Team Foretress 2 the screen glitched for a second and went back to normal. At first I didn't think much of it but when I closed the game now all of my desktop icons are screwed up, all of the other icons that don't fit get smooshed into the top left...
  6. Messed up desktop icon layout

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Saving Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Saving Desktop Icons: Hi, I would like to save my Desktop Icons positions, without using a 3rd party app like DesktopOK. I've read somewhere that if you open a .txt file, enter something, close the window, but don't click Save, leave that window open, then Log off, Windows will prompt you to save...
  8. save workspace/desktop layout

in Windows 10 Support
    save workspace/desktop layout: would be nice to open something and just have a lot of my productivity apps open the way I want them to on the desktop 126962
  9. Saving Multiple Desktop Layouts

in Windows 10 Support
    Saving Multiple Desktop Layouts: I've created 5 "Desktop" screens setup for use between 3 monitors. For example: I have Chrome open in "Desktop 1" on Monitor 1. I have Microsoft Edge & Photoshop open on Monitor 2 on "Desktop 1". And lastly, on "Desktop 1" I have my Gmail inbox open on Monitor 3. Now...
  10. saving desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    saving desktop icons: Sorry if this has been asked before I missed it. My number one gripe with with windows 10 is my icons get messed up. Is there a way to save desktop icon positions, or a program that will do this. 57961