Windows 10: Saving the power to USB ports

Discus and support Saving the power to USB ports in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The drives connected to my PC through the USB ports seem to save power. I have two drives and they are self powered, they use AC power. I found out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MicheleJohnson2, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Saving the power to USB ports

The drives connected to my PC through the USB ports seem to save power. I have two drives and they are self powered, they use AC power.

I found out that the fan of the drive is not spinning - that means it doesn’t get power from the USB port. I tried to disable the power savings but the fan stopped spinning when idle, so it didn’t help. But I still can read and write using this drive.

Can I make the system to keep the power on to the USB drives?

:)

MicheleJohnson2, Jan 8, 2019
  2. Mark Ole Win User

USB ports

Hi Frank,

Inserting and removing a USB device repeatedly may cause the USB port to stop responding. When the port is in this state, it no longer recognizes any USB device, and the USB device will not work.

Here are few things that you can do to resolve the issue:

Use Device Manager to scan for hardware changes. After your computer scans for hardware changes, it might recognize the USB device that is connected to the USB port so that you can use the device.

To scan for hardware changes, follow these steps:

• Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.
    • Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.
    • In Device Manager, click your computer so that it is highlighted.
    • Click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes.
    • Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

Turn off Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

• In the Device Manager dialog box, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers, right-click USB Root Hub, and then click Properties.
    • In the USB Root Hub Properties dialog box, click the Power Management tab. Uncheck the
      Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
      box.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, Jan 8, 2019
  3. Nick Dich Win User
    Power Surge on the USB port?

Hi Bob,

When a user tried uninstalling the USB drivers, it usually installs itself again when the computer restarts. It is a fact that most of the Mouse and Keyboard nowadays are connected using USB connection instead of their traditional PS/2 port. We suggest that
    you visit the link provided and follow the steps provided:
    USB has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of it's hub Port , you should disconnect the device

Kindly let us know if you need further assistance.

Nick Dich, Jan 8, 2019
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Saving the power to USB ports

USB port dead

Hello Adam,

We appreciate the details that you've provided about your USB port issue. This may have occurred due to software conflict or a hardware issue. For us to help you with this, kindly answer the following questions for further research:

• What is the current build and version number of your Windows 10? To check, press the Windows key, type winver, and press the Enter key.
    • We'd like to clarify the uninstalling and installing usb hub part. Have you tried

updating your USB port driver
      ? Have you tried uninstalling the driver and let Windows install the compatible driver?
    • Have you tried rolling back the USB port driver to its previous version?

Meanwhile, in order to save power, Windows switches your USB controllers off when they’re not in use. We suggest that you check your Power management settings:

• Type Device Manager in the Windows search field and open it.
    • Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers branch.
    • Double-click the first USB Root Hub device in the list.
    • Click the Power Management tab.
    • Un-check the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power checkbox, and click
      OK.
    • Repeat steps 3-5 for each USB Root Hub device in your list of Universal Serial Bus controllers.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Xylee Del, Jan 8, 2019
Thema:

Saving the power to USB ports

1. Saving the power to USB ports - Similar Threads - Saving power USB

2. Power surge on the USB port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Power surge on the USB port: Hello I'm getting this ErrorPower surge on the USB port – Unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can supply.A USB device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hub port. You should disconnect the device.I tried:-troubleshoot-to delete Universal...
  3. power surge on the usb port

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    power surge on the usb port: for the past few days ive noticed that my legion 5 is always dead when i want to turn it on. i noticed when i plugged in power and turn on my laptop, i always received a notification saying power surge on the usb port. i only have my logitech g304 plugged in so i unplug and...
  4. Power surge on USB port

Power surge on USB port: power surge on usb port unknown usb device needs more power, i tried every solution, tried to reinstall the drivers, 5 mins ago replaced the keyboard and mouse and i'm still getting it, not sure why, maybe i need to update bios or something, i tried literally everything, it...
  5. Power surge on USB port

Power surge on USB port: Power surge on USB port keeps flashing, Unknown usb device using more power than port can supply. Tried reboot, nothing has been plugged in but AC cord. Once unplugged this happens....
  6. Power surge on the USB port

Power surge on the USB port: Hi I'm having a repeatedly flashing warning 'Power surge on the USB port' with the detail 'Unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can supply'. I've tried reinstalling USB drivers and restarted many times. I also found some instructions online to go into the boot...
  7. Power Surge on the USB port.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Power Surge on the USB port.: Help, when I plug in a USB on my laptop, the power surge thong pops up every time. I tried all of the videos suggestions and I’m out of ideas. Could someone help me. submitted by /u/kylerc734 [link] [comments]...
  8. Power surge on the USB port

Power surge on the USB port: Hi All, I just upgraded my computer case to a full tower. The Phanteks Enthoo Pro Series PH-ES614P_BK. Since I did that when I cold boot my computer I get the error pop on the screen: " Power surge on the USB port Unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can...
  9. power to usb ports

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    power to usb ports: Hello — I am having a issue with the usb drives connected to my laptop. It seems that in the quest to save power, the computer limits power to the usb ports. Im my case, both usb drives are self powered – ie they use AC power. When I turn on my laptop at the start of the...
  10. Power Surge on the USB port

Power Surge on the USB port: I plugged in my printer one time the other day and now I get this pop up all the time. It says Power Surge on the USB port unknown USB Device needs more power than the port can supply. I don't know what to do to get rid of it. I don't have my printer hooked up. When I put...