Windows 10: Saving thumbnail in Excel

Discus and support Saving thumbnail in Excel in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; When I save a workbook in Excel 2016 it will save, as a thumbnail, the thumbnail of the first workbook I created so if I have a lot of workbooks with... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by 1018509, Sep 30, 2018.

1. 1018509 Win User

Saving thumbnail in Excel

When I save a workbook in Excel 2016 it will save, as a thumbnail, the thumbnail of the first workbook I created so if I have a lot of workbooks with different dates in he first column all workbooks will save with the date of the first workbook saved showing.

If I save the workbooks in Excel 2013 each workbook will show with the correct date showing in the thumbnail.

How can I make Excel 16 thumbnails behave in the same way as Excel 13 thumbnails?

:)

1018509, Sep 30, 2018
  2. Rose Ter Win User

Excel & Powerpoint thumbnails not showing in windows 10 file explorer after updating to office 365

Hi Gayle,

When you save an Excel or PowerPoint in File Explorer it automatically saves two copies a preview copy and a thumbnail preview. Here are the steps on how you can see your files in thumbnail preview.

• Open an Excel file or PowerPoint document.
    • Click File on the upper left side.
    • Select Info.
    • Look for Properties and click Advanced Properties.
    • Tick the box that says Save thumbnails for All Excel/PowerPoint Documents.
    • Check the folders where you saved the file it should be in thumbnails already.

Feel free to contact us if you have further inquiries.

Rose Ter, Sep 30, 2018
  3. Excel & Powerpoint thumbnails not showing in windows 10 file explorer after updating to office 365

Thank you but this did not work. The boxes are already ticked for both excel and powerpoint. I also cannot open pptx documents from file explorer. I need to open from Powerpoint 2016. See error below.

"this action is only valid for products that are currently installed'.

Do you have another solution?

GayleCilfone, Sep 30, 2018
  4. Alden Rey Win User

excel not auto recovering and manually saving

Hi,

The concern you have encountered with Excel not auto saving may be due to a corrupted file or a misconfigured setting.

May we ask if you have 3rd party software running when using Excel? If yes, we suggest to temporarily disable it to isolate the issue.

Any changes made on your computer prior to the issue?

Have you tried any possible troubleshooting steps? If yes, what are those steps and did you get any error messages?

You can turn-on the auto save option by the following steps:

• Open Excel
    • Go to File then Options
    • Under Save option, check the 'Save AutoRecovery information in every' option
    the best way to check when auto save is disabled is to hover over the toggle and read the reason that the popup tool tip identifies. Simply follow the steps provided in this

article

According to this
    article
    the autosave function will be disabled when the file is in the old file format .xls.

Kindly keep us posted with the results.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Sep 30, 2018
Thema:

1. Saving thumbnail in Excel - Similar Threads - Saving thumbnail Excel

2. Why did Excel not save?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why did Excel not save?: My company just made the switch From Google to Microsoft. We now have the Microsoft suite ("for work or school" I think). I was working on an Excel file for a few hours yesterday, but this morning it shows only the first 15 min of work. I turned on auto save after creating...
  3. Excel Workbook Not Saving with Password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excel Workbook Not Saving with Password: We use Windows 11 on our desktops. Our office switched to 365 a few months ago. Ever since then, we cannot save an Excel workbook using the password while all other users are in read only. No other staff has the password. The error message just says "Document Not Saved." I am...
  4. Excel Workbook Not Saving with Password

Excel Workbook Not Saving with Password: We use Windows 11 on our desktops. Our office switched to 365 a few months ago. Ever since then, we cannot save an Excel workbook using the password while all other users are in read only. No other staff has the password. The error message just says "Document Not Saved." I am...
  5. Opening Saved Excel,

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Opening Saved Excel,: I have a file saved in Excel and was just wandering if there was any way to program this file to open in full screen?There are times when I open this file and just the resizing and closing buttons are displayed....
  6. Opening Saved Excel,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening Saved Excel,: I have a file saved in Excel and was just wandering if there was any way to program this file to open in full screen?There are times when I open this file and just the resizing and closing buttons are displayed....
  7. Opening Saved Excel,

8. Save as in Windows 10 Excel

Save as in Windows 10 Excel: I was used to using save as to create a different worksheet without altering the worksheet from which I was copying. How can I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-as-in-windows-10-excel/aa5b97e3-8b97-4461-b4a7-3193675b04bd"
  9. Where are the thumbnail informations saved

Where are the thumbnail informations saved: Insider previews installations sometime (but not always) get rid of the many thousand thumbnails of my files. If I knew where the thumbnails are kept maybe I could copy those and reinstall them later...
  10. excel files won't save.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    excel files won't save.: I can open an excel file but when I save, it can't access the folder.[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_10/excel-files-wont-save/cc2fe25e-6973-408c-a9f8-bd23118886e3

Users found this page by searching for:

1. save thumbnail in excel