Windows 10: Saving Video File Property Metadata, star rating, genre, etc.

Discus and support Saving Video File Property Metadata, star rating, genre, etc. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am running the current Windows 10 build or a desktop as admin. When I right click file ==> properties and click on the details tab, I cannot seem to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Flame Red, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Flame Red Win User

Saving Video File Property Metadata, star rating, genre, etc.

I am running the current Windows 10 build or a desktop as admin. When I right click file ==> properties and click on the details tab, I cannot seem to change the rating 1-5 stars, genre and the like.

I did extensive googling on this and the most common sulution is to use a 3rd party program to maintain the Metadata . Commonly mentioned are MediaMonkey, VLC, Windows Media Manager, among others.

I have tried them all. I either select the file or open it depending on which one and it appears to change the rating or genre or other Metadata. But when I exit and go back in, it remains unchanged. And looking at file ==> properties ==> details the property never changes.

These files are in my video library directory. I have some old files that came from old Windows 7 before i upgraded to Windows 10 and I have some with changed Genre or ratings. I can change those but only to remove the Metadata and after that I cannot change it.

Anyone else ever experience this? Any solutions?

Thanks in advance!

:)

Flame Red, Jan 2, 2017

2. Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error when trying to edit metadata

I am attempting to add metadata (eg: Artist, Title, or Genre) to .m4a music files. When I click "apply" or "okay" I get Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error.

This occurs with all .m4a files, but only .m4a files.

I am trying to apply these properties via the Details pain of the Properties menu accessed by right clicking the file.

I have also used Windows Media Player to apply the metadata. The metadata appears only when viewing the files in Windows Media Player, but it does not appear on the actual files viewing them directly.

HERB YELIAB, Jan 2, 2017
  3. Entegy Win User
    Zune and Windows Phone Unable to Retain Windows XP/7 file sort order

Metadata is data about data.

For music, metadata would be things like artist, album name, song name, track number, year, genre...

When that data is filled out in the music file, Zune uses it to sort its library based on the metadata. So it can be sorted by artists, albums, date of release, genres...

Zune can also use this metadata to connect to the Marketplace and offer relevant Smart DJ mixes.

Entegy, Jan 2, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hmm.. beyond saying I can change the star rating (and it's retained) on an mp4 video file I copied into that folder, using the properties sheet, I've no suggestions other than 'does it work if you create a new user for test purposes'?

dalchina, Jan 2, 2017
  5. Flame Red Win User
    Thank you! I did not think to try that. I created a new ID and then was able to edit the Metadata! So it something related to the id I was using or permissions.

Flame Red, Jan 2, 2017
  6. mrgeek Win User
    "I created a new ID and then was able to edit the Metadata! So it something related to the id I was using or permissions."

I have both Mediamonkey and VLC and no issues editing the fields you want. Did you check the settings under the 'Security' tab when you r-click properties for the file ? 'Allow' should be enabled for that user or change all to Allow, just to be safe. Good Luck.

mrgeek, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Saving Video File Property Metadata, star rating, genre, etc. - Similar Threads - Saving Video File

2. Star Rating for Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Star Rating for Files: How can I get/encourage/remind viewers to rate the files or documents they have viewed in Windows using the star rating feature? When someone views a document with a designated star rating option, is there a way to give that user an alert to ensure they rate?We have the 5...
  3. Star Rating for Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Star Rating for Files: How can I get/encourage/remind viewers to rate the files or documents they have viewed in Windows using the star rating feature? When someone views a document with a designated star rating option, is there a way to give that user an alert to ensure they rate?We have the 5...
  4. I can not stars rate my mp4 file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can not stars rate my mp4 file: I can not stars rate my mp4 files. I can change other details but I cant rate it. Can you help ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-can-not-stars-rate-my-mp4-file/a38ac25d-e1fa-409c-9cd5-620402dc6efc
  5. I can not stars rate my mp4 file

I can not stars rate my mp4 file: I can not stars rate my mp4 files. I can change other details but I cant rate it. Can you help ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-can-not-stars-rate-my-mp4-file/a38ac25d-e1fa-409c-9cd5-620402dc6efc
  6. File properties and metadata

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File properties and metadata: Hi, Microsoft, This is an important question that has bugged me for a long time. I understand there are ways to add metadata to office files by document properties in word, excel, access etc and pdf files e.g. by properties, keyword etc. Those are answers that keep show up...
  7. Star rating in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Star rating in Windows Explorer: BACKGROUND. I have a lot of academic articles in pdf format on my PC. I would like to rate them from one star to five star to better remember them. QUESTION. Explorer has a star rating that I can use on a sound file, but the option is not available om pdf files. Any...
  8. Can't delete/change properties/etc. of file in Videos system folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can't delete/change properties/etc. of file in Videos system folder: I have a file in the videos folder, the full path is "C:\Users\Tony\Videos\vlc-record-2019-09-09-17h35m00s-André Rieu & Mirusia - Time To Say Goodbye-DVbOxh7tQCc.mkv-.mkv" a total of 116 characters (excluding quotes). The apparent file properties are odd, size is 16.1KB...
  9. Photos app and star ratings

Photos app and star ratings: Hi there, Not sure if you can help. I've just got a new computer with Windows 10. I previously used Photo Gallery to view my photos individually. As I scrolled through them I would mark any I liked and wanted to use in a photo album as 5 star rating. Then I could filter on...
  10. Photos app and star ratings

in Windows 10 Support
    Photos app and star ratings: Hi there, Not sure if you can help. I've just got a new computer with Windows 10. I previously used Photo Gallery to view my photos individually. As I scrolled through them I would mark any I liked and wanted to use in a photo album as 5 star rating. Then I could filter on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mkv metadata star rating