Windows 10: Saw “Mimikatz” in windows defender, it quickly disappeared before I could investigate

Discus and support Saw “Mimikatz” in windows defender, it quickly disappeared before I could investigate in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I bought a brand new laptop today and I was just about to install McAfee when I see “threat found” in the bottom right of my screen. Naturally I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/LennyGibson, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Saw “Mimikatz” in windows defender, it quickly disappeared before I could investigate

So I bought a brand new laptop today and I was just about to install McAfee when I see “threat found” in the bottom right of my screen. Naturally I clicked on it and Windows defender came up with a threat found named “Mimicatz!” That’s all I had time to read before it miraculously disappeared and Windows said no threat. To be clear during the time i could see the file name I did not click anything, it disappeared before I could click delete or whatever defender wanted me to do. I now have mcafee and performed a scan and nothing has flagged as a threat. Am I safe?

submitted by /u/LennyGibson
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/LennyGibson, Feb 4, 2021
  2. P4-630 Win User

Task to auto update windows defender definitions disappears

My mom has a new laptop with windows 8.1, we always set the windows updates to manual.
    On our other windows 8.1 computers I have created a task for auto updating windows defender definitions, which works fine for us.

This is how I created this task:

"Click on "Create Task", name it what you like (mine is Daily Signature Update), set the trigger as the time you want it to run every day.

For Action browse to Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe and select it. In "Add arguments" add -SignatureUpdate -MMPC"

But somehow this task disappears once it has run on my mom's laptop.
    I'm logged in as admin and then I also tried it with running the task scheduler as admin, the task just disappears every day for some reason, while it works fine on our other windows 8.1 computers.

Anyone an idea why this task disappears every time?

Thanks.

P4-630, Feb 4, 2021
  3. Borg 386 Win User
    How to use PowerShell to investigate Windows Defender's malware sigs

How to use PowerShell to investigate Windows Defender's malware signature definitions database

How to use PowerShell to investigate Windows Defender's malware signature definitions database - TechRepublic

Borg 386, Feb 4, 2021
  4. Saw “Mimikatz” in windows defender, it quickly disappeared before I could investigate

Windows Defender problem

Hi Ernst,

To troubleshoot this issue, we suggest that you check the Windows Defender service if it's running. If you are using a third party spyware/malware program, it may disable the Windows Defender service. To do this, please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R key.
    • Type services.msc.
    • Right-click Windows Defender service and click
      Start.

Let us know the result.

Rafael Com, Feb 4, 2021
Thema:

Saw “Mimikatz” in windows defender, it quickly disappeared before I could investigate

1. Saw “Mimikatz” in windows defender, it quickly disappeared before I could investigate - Similar Threads - Saw “Mimikatz” defender

2. SAW is not recognized as a SAW, how can I set my SAW as a SAW, this screenshot is taken on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SAW is not recognized as a SAW, how can I set my SAW as a SAW, this screenshot is taken on...: This screenshot is taken on my SAW and speaks for it self, this message should not appear!!When I want to control my remote device from my SAW I will get this message: !!!!!How can I set my SAW to a SAW so that Mouse Without borders recognizes my SAW as a SAW?...
  3. Quick Assist disappeared

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Quick Assist disappeared: I used Quick Assist last week to remote in to another pc, but today when I turned on my laptop after the weekend...Quick Assist is not found via my search at all! Not in system32....just all gone...How do I get it back?...
  4. windows defender disappeared?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows defender disappeared?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ShunKoPoP [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jtgcfx/windows_defender_disappeared/
  5. Quick Access Disappears...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick Access Disappears...: When opening a folder/file in File Explorer from the Quick Access items, File Explorer sometimes, but not always will open up the tree under "This PC". This often takes me to sub-sub-sub-folders of the Quick Access item, and because the tree is so large, my Quick Access...
  6. Taskbar thumbnail keeps disappearing before I could click on it

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar thumbnail keeps disappearing before I could click on it: Hi, I have a serious issue with Windows that greatly hinders productivity. The taskbar thumbnail appears and disappears very quickly before I could click on them upon hovering. I use to have this issue with my old profile so I created a new one and started installing all my...
  7. What is this $WINDOWS.~TMP folder that I never saw before

in Windows 10 Support
    What is this $WINDOWS.~TMP folder that I never saw before: This folder just appeared on my D: drive. Why in this drive? It appears to be connected with updates, because the "replacementmanifests" folder has 355 items. Overall, it takes 4.7 GB, and wastes backup drive space. Notice the WindowsOld.wim file, 4.6 GB.*Mad Is there a...
  8. Windows Defender - Quick Scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender - Quick Scan: Windows defender no longer offers a quick scan option. My options are: Scan Advanced Scan Full Scan Custom Scan Windows Defender Offline scan Whichever option I check, the scan will need to run for hours to complete. Is a quick scan available? How do I restore this...
  9. How to use PowerShell to investigate Windows Defender's malware sigs

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to use PowerShell to investigate Windows Defender's malware sigs: How to use PowerShell to investigate Windows Defender's malware signature definitions database What malware does Windows Defender recognize? Learn how to use PowerShell's Defender cmdlets to peek inside the malware signature definitions database. Let's take a closer...
  10. Two quick queries before I start

in Windows 10 Support
    Two quick queries before I start: I originally posted this in another thread and maybe I should have started a new thread so..... Haven't had chance to run the 10 yet but soon. I have two queries which probably everyone will se as dumb. 1. If I upgrade to a cloned clean install of 7 and want to go back...