Windows 10: Say Goodbye to Windows Defender (getting renamed)

Discus and support Say Goodbye to Windows Defender (getting renamed) in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I apologize for the rather "clickbaity" title; come Windows 10 20H1, Windows Defender will no longer be a thing in the Windows 10 operating system as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jul 19, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Say Goodbye to Windows Defender (getting renamed)

I apologize for the rather "clickbaity" title; come Windows 10 20H1, Windows Defender will no longer be a thing in the Windows 10 operating system as Microsoft will rename the tool to Microsoft Defender. So, instead of using Windows Defender or disabling it, users and administrators will use or disable Microsoft Defender instead.

Windows Defender Exploit Guard, the native EMET derivative, will receive the same treatment as it will be known as Microsoft Defender Exploit Guard in 2020.

It is unclear if previous versions of Windows, Windows 8.1 will be the last version left standing after the end of support of Windows 7 in January 2020, will receive the same treatment.

Say Goodbye to Windows Defender (getting renamed) windows-defender-660x467.jpg

The most recent build of Windows 10 version 20H1, the first feature update build of 2020 and the first major update since Windows 10 version 1903 1905, comes with the changed names already.

If you check the Group Policy entries for the security tool or the Settings application, you will notice the change right away.

If you run that preview build, you may also notice that some tools or features have not been renamed. Windows Defender Smartscreen is still called that, and so is Windows Defender Applications Guard. Whether that is going to remain or changed in upcoming preview builds remains to be seen.

One question has not been answered yet: why is Microsoft making the change? A likely explanation, and our colleagues over at Deskmodder seem to agree, is that Microsoft wants to use the Microsoft name for services and tools that are available on multiple platforms, and the Windows name if a service or tool is only available on Windows.

• Microsoft -- used for cross-platform products.
    • Windows -- used for Windows-specific products.

It is quite possible that Microsoft wants to bring Microsoft Defender or services related to the security tool to other platforms, and that it made the name change because of that.

Microsoft launched Windows Defender ATP back in 2017 for various platforms including Linux, Mac OS X, iOS and Android, and has renamed the service in the meantime to Microsoft Defender ATP (Advanced Threat Protection).

Now You: Too many name changes or changes that make sense, what is your take?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks)). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Say Goodbye to Windows Defender (getting renamed) appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jul 19, 2019

2. window defender

• You will want to print these instructions for offline reference -
    IMPORTANT => DON'T SKIP ANY STEP perform all Steps in one uninterrupted session - If a Step says to reboot
    reboot.

Problems starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

Pləase let us know what fixes the problem or if the pяoblem remains.

• `~`

José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Jul 19, 2019
  3. Windows update and windows defender issues

We suggest you to avoid installing any cleaner or anti-virus software that may interrupt the function of Windows Defender. Make sure that Windows Defender is always on. To do this follow these steps:

• On the Start menu, type Windows Defender and hit enter.
    • Click Settings.
    • Turn Real-time protection on.
    We also recommend you to install the latest update for Windows Defender.

Should you have further questions, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Jul 19, 2019
  4. Say Goodbye to Windows Defender (getting renamed)

files and folders "renaming music folder to audio"

Hello,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Are you facing any issues in renaming folder?
    • When you say, "music folder does not apply anymore as a primary designation" what exactly are you referring to?
    Follow the steps below to rename folder:

• Right click on a folder which you want to rename.
    • Select Rename and enter new name for it.
    Hope this helps. Kindly get back to us with the above details to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Jul 19, 2019
Thema:

Say Goodbye to Windows Defender (getting renamed)

1. Say Goodbye to Windows Defender (getting renamed) - Similar Threads - Goodbye Defender getting

2. Goodbye Naif Batarfi Goodbye Omnya Bafarat Goodbye Lama Batarfi Goodbye Adult Home Cleaning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Goodbye Naif Batarfi Goodbye Omnya Bafarat Goodbye Lama Batarfi Goodbye Adult Home Cleaning: HP Chromebook Laptop Setup New Laptop 8445 al rabat in open chrome app and type saudia.com type riyadh to new york https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/goodbye-naif-batarfi-goodbye-omnya-bafarat-goodbye/a60a36e7-158b-47e7-9ead-e03bf2bc689a
  3. Goodbye Winblows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Goodbye Winblows: Anyone else leaving Windows forever for a better operating system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/goodbye-winblows/0ce396e2-eb93-4de7-b6bb-cef0121be346
  4. Goodbye Winblows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Goodbye Winblows: Anyone else leaving Windows forever for a better operating system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/goodbye-winblows/0ce396e2-eb93-4de7-b6bb-cef0121be346
  5. Say Goodbye to Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    Say Goodbye to Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors in Windows 11: The Blue Screen of Death on Windows devices is probably one of the most feared errors that users and administrators alike may experience when using the operating system. The system becomes unusable when the error is thrown and a restart is required. Windows may start...
  6. Saying goodbye to Windows Hello

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Saying goodbye to Windows Hello: A new starter setup a laptop and configured a Windows Hello PIN when prompted. Unfortunately this means they can't map a network drive which they really need to do. This looks to have been an issue for some time....
  7. Time to say goodbye to i5-2500K?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Time to say goodbye to i5-2500K?: I have an old Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 motherboard with 16g ram and i5-2500k processor, nvidia GTX 750 TI GPU. No overclocking. For several months now I think, my Windows 10 updates have been failing. Occasionally the GPU driver would crash and try to restart. When I tried...
  8. Windows Defender getting renamed to Microsoft Defender

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Defender getting renamed to Microsoft Defender: Windows Defender is being rebranded to Microsoft Defender to indicate that it now part of a cross platform family of products. This includes enterprise products, which offer solutions for multiple OS platforms. Historically, Microsoft's consumer antivirus product has been...
  9. Goodbye Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Goodbye Windows 10: Fed up with failed updates constantly trying to install and going into update loops. Wasting my time. Back to Windows 7. Maybe when MS gets their act together I'll go back but for now it's over. 26627
  10. Windows 10 will let you say goodbye to passwords forever

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 will let you say goodbye to passwords forever: Microsoft is adding support for the Fast Identity Online (Fido) standard to Windows 10 to enable password-free sign-on for a number of applications. PC users' reliance on weak passwords that are easily cracked (and yet somehow still easy to forget, leaving the IT...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender rename