Windows 10: Says my windows licence will expire.....I don't understand why?!!

Discus and support Says my windows licence will expire.....I don't understand why?!! in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, so i upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 home, over a year ago. (full retail windows 7, NOT OEM installed) a few months ago i upgraded my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by hiohaa, Jun 30, 2016.

1. hiohaa Win User

Says my windows licence will expire.....I don't understand why?!!

Hi,
    so i upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 home, over a year ago. (full retail windows 7, NOT OEM installed)
    a few months ago i upgraded my system, new motherboard, so decided to do a clean install of windows 10 - made the bootable USB tool via Microsoft site for windows 10 home, formatted my drive through the setup process and did a clean install.

now all of a sudden its saying the below. What the hell!
    Am i going to have to reformat, install windows 7 again, then upgrade through that?
    There's got to be another way, surely.

if i click on activate, it does nothing. If i click on change product key and type in my windows 7 key, it says its the wrong key for windows 10 home.

Says my windows licence will expire.....I don't understand why?!! [​IMG]

:)

hiohaa, Jun 30, 2016

2. my windows 10 is saying my licence expires on the 26th november

A few weeks after getting the free upgrade to windows 10, I got a messeage that says

Your windows licence will expire soon .,you need to activate windows in settings.

On going to settings it says it is activated, but there is another message saying, your windows licence expires on 22nd November 2015.

I do not understand this as It is a new computer running windows 8.1 , then I updated to windows 10 free.

Any ideas, I am not totally computer savvy so plain English please.

Thanks for any answers

Bob

RobertPayneZH., Jun 30, 2016
  3. VangelisK Win User
    Windows 10 pro licence expiry

Hello,

I got a message this morning that my Windows 10 pro licence will expire on 25-May-2016. This is from a commercially bought dell laptop that had windows 7 pro pre-installed and I have a windows 7 pro licence key (holographic sticker with the key at the back
    of the laptop).

tried updating (no new updates were found), tried logging in with my MS account as well as the local admin account but under "settings" --> "activation" it says that Windows is Activated, but then right under that I get a red text saying that the licence
    will expire on May 25th.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? Do I have to revert to windows 7 pro? I don't really want to do a fresh install...

Thanks in advance.

VangelisK, Jun 30, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi hiohaa and welcome to Tenforums.

Upgrading a MB constitutes a new system, so unless your W7 key is a Full Retail Key, you need a new key.

Pre-installed OEM licenses do not have transfer rights and are linked to the original system.
    OEM System Builder keys are the same as above, with regards transfer rights.
    Full Retail Keys have transfer rights and will activate when you change the MB, as new system.

simrick, Jun 30, 2016
  5. hiohaa Win User
    It is a full retail key. NOT a pre installed windows 7. I have changed mobo many times during my windows 7 years.

hiohaa, Jun 30, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    That's good. Maybe you need to run slui.exe 4 and activate by phone then? That's a generic key you have on the system right now.

simrick, Jun 30, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    Just a comment: the only times I've seen a date or time mentioned with Windows to activate was after a clean install, 30 days, a reinstall, 3 days, or with the Insider Preview that does give an expiration date. Is it possible the Insider Preview got installed by accident? Hold down the Windows key and press R, type winver to see what is installed.

Berton, Jun 30, 2016
  8. Says my windows licence will expire.....I don't understand why?!!

I think you might be on to something

Over a year ago Win10 was still Tech Preview

A few months ago (3?) might equate to a 90 day evaluation install

This is an interesting thread. I don't have a solution, other than a phone activation as simrick suggested.

Double check your ISO / install media to make sure it matches your installed system (Home).

Command Prompt (Admin)

DISM /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:F:\sources\install.wim /index:1
    DISM /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:F:\sources\install.wim /index:2

-- OR --

DISM /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:F:\sources\install.esd /index:1
    DISM /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:F:\sources\install.esd /index:2
    F: is only an example - change the drive letter to match your install media or mounted ISO

Slartybart, Jun 30, 2016
  9. hiohaa Win User

hiohaa, Jul 1, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Running slmgr /dlv in a command prompt (admin) and posting the results here will help us figure out what is going on. You should get something like this:

NavyLCDR, Jul 1, 2016
  11. Mystere Win User
    Windows 10 Upgrades are only licensed to the machine it was installed on. Even though your Windows 7 was a retail, the Windows 10 has a digital entitlement that is limited only to that PC (ie motherboard).

In order to make this work, you'll need to either re-install Windows 7 and then upgrade on top of it (before July 29th, when the free upgrade offer ends) or you will need to get ahold of a recent (version 1511, not the original 10240) and do a clean install and enter your Windows 7 key (which I've never tried, but i'm told it's supposed to work).

Mystere, Jul 1, 2016
  12. There was a recent article referencing a change. First it is now Digital License not Digital Entitlement - ok it's just words - the lawyers got involved *Wink

But in that same article was changing out the motherboard did not invalidate your license. There wasn't much detail, so there isn't any valuable discussion on whether it was a replacement motherboard for one that failed or just a new motherboard.

The end result is that the user will have to phone in to activate.

Sorry, no citation, but it is on Tenforums somewhere. It might be related to the new Activation troubleshooter that ties your license to your MS account in 1607 or will it be 1608? Not sure if there were two articles or one discussed both things.
    Just though I'd mention it.

Slartybart, Jul 1, 2016
  13. Mystere Win User

It's still called a digital entitlement though. Regardless, that feature only works in the most recent insider builds (and of course the anniversary update when that comes). He has mentioned he was on 10586.420

Mystere, Jul 1, 2016
  14. hiohaa Win User
    i've tried finding the number to call microsoft for activiation.......i'll have to try harder to find the webpage with the info!
    as for this suggestion above, sorry i don't follow *Sad
    so i should put in the USB stick i used to do the install and then run the above for it? (With the drive letter corresponding)

hiohaa, Jul 1, 2016
  15. Rocky Win User
    If you have Windows 10 installed, just go to the start menu and scroll down to Contact Microsoft.

Rocky, Jul 1, 2016
Thema:

1. Says my windows licence will expire.....I don't understand why?!! - Similar Threads - Says licence expire

2. Windows 11 keeps saying "licence is expiring soon"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 keeps saying "licence is expiring soon": I upgraded my windows 10 to 11 on my personal computer and I keep getting the message "Licence is expiring soon" and I can't get the message to stop appearing. I have looked up everything in trying to get rid of the message and no matter what I do or how many times I restart...
  3. Windows 11 keeps saying "licence is expiring soon"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 keeps saying "licence is expiring soon": I upgraded my windows 10 to 11 on my personal computer and I keep getting the message "Licence is expiring soon" and I can't get the message to stop appearing. I have looked up everything in trying to get rid of the message and no matter what I do or how many times I restart...
  4. I don't understand why this rectangle is there on my screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I don't understand why this rectangle is there on my screen: This weird rectangle on my screen appears randomly I tried taking screenshot of it on my desktop but it didn't appeared correctly so I made that grey background just below it in paint so it will be visible properly.Whenever I hover my mouse over that area cursor changes to...
  5. I don't understand why this rectangle is there on my screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I don't understand why this rectangle is there on my screen: This weird rectangle on my screen appears randomly I tried taking screenshot of it on my desktop but it didn't appeared correctly so I made that grey background just below it in paint so it will be visible properly.Whenever I hover my mouse over that area cursor changes to...
  6. The licence expiring

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    The licence expiring: Recently I have gotten many of these "Your license is expiring soon" pop-ups. I read somewhere that I should check how many days are left until the expiration date in Task controller and I did so it says that there are 13 days left, but the problem is that in 2018. I had...
  7. licence expiring

licence expiring: I am getting a message that my licence is about to expire and to go to settings to activate. In settings>activate it says the licence is activated by my organisation. I am not a member of an organisation and I do not know how to proceed. This has happened since the Nov 2019...
  8. windows licence expire

windows licence expire: sir there is a notification when i start my laptop that your windows licence will expire soon . and when i am solving the then i update the window this process is not complete it start retry....
  9. window licence expire

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    window licence expire: Hi my window will expire soon, nd i lst my product key. how can i fixed again? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-licence-expire/be502a10-4997-4864-851b-2548df6158a9
  10. Don't understand why this happens......

in Browsers and Email
    Don't understand why this happens......: Win 10 Home ver 1803 Build 17134.81 Default browser is IE11. No 3rd party browser installed. Home page is google.ca Situation : I have IE11 shortcut on my desktop. Each time I click it open, I get 2 google tabs. Why is that ? This situation happens only on opening...