Windows 10: Scaling problems after monitor sleep

Discus and support Scaling problems after monitor sleep in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I've searched many forums and can't find a resolution or even a similar issue. I recently went to a fresh install of Windows 10 and noticed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Tayguerr, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Tayguerr Win User

Scaling problems after monitor sleep

Hi,

I've searched many forums and can't find a resolution or even a similar issue. I recently went to a fresh install of Windows 10 and noticed shortly after that after the monitor wakes from sleep, there's a good chance that the scaling on my notification/action center will be completely off. Notifications are so large that they are unreadable, and the action center looks completely over-scaled. Logging out and back in will resolve it. So too will changing the scaling size in display settings, then changing it back, so it makes me think the issue has something to do with this particular setting.

I've tried reinstalling and updating display drivers which had no effect. I also have a second monitor, a TV that has a higher scaling size, but that screen remains deactivated most of the time.

It's getting very annoying so any help would be appreciated.

Best,

Tayguerr

Scaling problems after monitor sleep c237e9c3-54fd-4730-bbae-d82b82b78ccb?upload=true.png

:)

Tayguerr, Apr 8, 2019

2. MS Office and Skype scaling issue with display monitors

Hi J,

The scaling issues with your display monitor can be caused by an outdated operating system. To further isolate the concern, we suggest that you check for the latest update for Windows by following these steps:

• Click on Start or the Windows Logo on your taskbar.
    • Select Settings or the gear icon and click Updates & security.
    • Click on Check for updates.

If any updates are found, install it and wait for Windows to complete the update and then restart the device.

Let us know the result of your troubleshooting.

Genevieve Cri, Apr 8, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    DaveM121, Apr 8, 2019
  4. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Scaling Problems using 4K Monitor

I saw a great deal on a UHD monitor and grabbed it, completely unaware of the issues regarding scaling for programs, particularly older programs, in a 4k environment.
    (For those who also do not know: this is when a program opens and is so tiny on the screen you can't read anything, or it opens in a normal sized window but the text is so tiny you can't read anything.)
    I took the crash course (otherwise known as Numpty School) and corrected a few things.

• Windows Settings > System > Display > Custom Scaling Settings. I use 190. Seems good.
    But this does not work with some older programs, so...
    I also did the "High DPI Settings" trick:

• Find the programs .exe file > Properties > Compatibility Tab > Change High DPI Settings >
    • Program DPI > check: Use This Setting…. (Note: “Open Advanced Scaling Settings” just opens the W10 General Settings listed above)
    • In drop down for Use DPI Settings that’s set for my main display when: change to: When I open this Program
    • High DPI Scaling Override > Check: Override High DPI Scaling Behavior > Performed by: Change to: System.
    • OK > Apply > OK
    This works great for some programs but not all. Plus I need to do this for every program with a problem one at a time. Any easier way known?

But some programs don't use exe. They use dll. And they are freaking out.
    I found this fix below, a registry edit:
    • Registry > HKCU \ Software \ MS \ WindowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ AppCompatFlags \Layers
    • Add Key: C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe > Set Value to: HIGHDPIAWARE

Is this a good fix for this problem?
    Does anyone know of a better, more permanent, or more universal fix?
    Thanks

Thema:

1. Scaling problems after monitor sleep - Similar Threads - Scaling problems monitor

2. Action Center problems after scaling

in Windows 10 Customization
    Action Center problems after scaling: Just purchased a nice 4K AOC monitor, however I'm having a serious problem with the Taskbar/Action Center:Often times the icons/clock just disappear completely.The recommended settings have me at 3840x2160 and 150% scaling.I've tried other scaling options, but to no...
  3. Second monitor problem after sleep mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Second monitor problem after sleep mode: So i have a dual monitor setup, the main one is connected through DP and the other through HDMI. Whenever I put my pc to sleep mode, and turn it back on, all the windows I had on my second monitor move the my main one, and i get a popup from my Radeon Driver, saying that...
  4. Dual-monitor scaling

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual-monitor scaling: Hi, everyone. I have a laptop+external monitor setup. I use 125% scaling for laptop display and 100% for external monitor. The problem is when I unplug monitor from laptop and later connect it, scaling factor for external monitor resets to laptop display value. So, every...
  5. scale problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    scale problem: so the application i have to use for my work is not very updated. it's highest compatibility is with win8. but it works perfectly fine with win10 pro on my old laptop. but with my win10 home, there's one of the window of the app that's too big for my screen. i try to change...
  6. Monitor Sleep/Wake Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Monitor Sleep/Wake Problem: On my Win 10 64 desktop PC, the monitor goes to sleep as per settings then immediately wakes. Have tried different solutions without any success. The only thing that works if I remove MS wireless mouse 5000/keyboard 3050 transceiver. Then the monitor stays asleep (of course,...
  7. Scaling Problems using 4K Monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Scaling Problems using 4K Monitor: I saw a great deal on a UHD monitor and grabbed it, completely unaware of the issues regarding scaling for programs, particularly older programs, in a 4k environment. (For those who also do not know: this is when a program opens and is so tiny on the screen you can't read...
  8. Monitor Scaling and resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitor Scaling and resolution: I have a 2 monitor setup on windows 10. I have a 23.8 inch 1440p monitor, and a 31 inch 1080p television as my second monitor. In the windows display settings menu it assumes the 1080p tv is smaller than the 1440p monitor despite it being the opposite. Is there a way to input...
  9. Scaling with multiple monitors

Scaling with multiple monitors: Hi there, I've got a 15 inch Dell laptop with 4K screen. Using the Dell docking station, I'm running 2 external monitors connected over DP ports (LG's 2560*1080 and Dell's 1920*1080) - both external screens run at their respective native resolutions in the extended desktop...
  10. scaling problem

scaling problem: Hello, I have a 4K TV as a monitor connected via DVI-HDMI. I have 3840*2160 and scaling 100% (because I want all pixels when viewing photos *Wink Today for the second time I noticed that all desktop icons are spread out in crazy distance like around 200px but they are small,...