Windows 10: Scaling Problems using 4K Monitor

Discus and support Scaling Problems using 4K Monitor in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I saw a great deal on a UHD monitor and grabbed it, completely unaware of the issues regarding scaling for programs, particularly older programs, in a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by TV2, Feb 24, 2019.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Scaling Problems using 4K Monitor

I saw a great deal on a UHD monitor and grabbed it, completely unaware of the issues regarding scaling for programs, particularly older programs, in a 4k environment.
    (For those who also do not know: this is when a program opens and is so tiny on the screen you can't read anything, or it opens in a normal sized window but the text is so tiny you can't read anything.)
    I took the crash course (otherwise known as Numpty School) and corrected a few things.

• Windows Settings > System > Display > Custom Scaling Settings. I use 190. Seems good.
    But this does not work with some older programs, so...
    I also did the "High DPI Settings" trick:

• Find the programs .exe file > Properties > Compatibility Tab > Change High DPI Settings >
    • Program DPI > check: Use This Setting…. (Note: “Open Advanced Scaling Settings” just opens the W10 General Settings listed above)
    • In drop down for Use DPI Settings that’s set for my main display when: change to: When I open this Program
    • High DPI Scaling Override > Check: Override High DPI Scaling Behavior > Performed by: Change to: System.
    • OK > Apply > OK
    This works great for some programs but not all. Plus I need to do this for every program with a problem one at a time. Any easier way known?

But some programs don't use exe. They use dll. And they are freaking out.
    I found this fix below, a registry edit:
    • Registry > HKCU \ Software \ MS \ WindowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ AppCompatFlags \Layers
    • Add Key: C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe > Set Value to: HIGHDPIAWARE

Is this a good fix for this problem?
    Does anyone know of a better, more permanent, or more universal fix?
    Thanks

:)

2. TH90 Win User

4k Resolution scaling but then watching a 4k video

Hi,

I am building a PC with windows 10. I have yet to buy my monitor.

I'm considering buying a 4k/UHD monitor but given the issues you can have with scaling (i.e. when using program's that aren't set up to cope with the scaling and therefore show up blurred) I am wondering if it is worth it at this point in the 4k/windows
    infancy? Its worth pointing out that I am thinking of buying a monitor no bigger than 24" so not using scaling won't be very good as the task bar will be tiny.

Also, (my main question) when you use the scaling its effectively at Full HD resolution, correct me if I'm wrong, so what happens when scaling is on and I want to watch a 4k video. Will it be shown in 1080p or 4k? How does it work? What is the scaling actually
    doing.

Thanks in advance.

3. Dual Monitor Setup issues - 4k and 1080p combination

The issue is worse than it seems at first. I have a 4k display (200%) scaling and a 1080p display (100% scaling) and even office apps look blurry on the 1080p display. If I unplug the 4k display and reboot the problem goes away. I believe the problem is
    present on all apps and is a system issue. It's been suggested that to get the 100% scaling everything on both monitors is generated at 200% and then the part on the 1080p display is downsampled to 100%, resulting in the poor quality.

As it is Windows 10 is almost unusable with a very different DPI dual monitor setup.

RichardLittlewood, Feb 24, 2019
  4. MarkW1975 Win User

I want to buy a 4k monitor. Is UHD scaling going to be better in Windows 10?

Original Title: Windows 10 4k Support

I want to buy a 4k monitor. Is UHD scaling going to be better in Windows 10? I heard its awful in Windows 7.

MarkW1975, Feb 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Scaling Problems using 4K Monitor - Similar Threads - Scaling Problems using

2. 1080p scaling issues on 4K monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    1080p scaling issues on 4K monitor: I have a laptop which uses a 4K screen. The problem is that I want to run intensive programs however I can only run them in lower resolutions such as 1080p as in 4K they are laggy and unusable. The problem is that if I set my computer resolution to 1080p, the ui, especially...
  3. Windows Scaling - Does this Defeat the Purpose of a 4K Monitor?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows Scaling - Does this Defeat the Purpose of a 4K Monitor?: Hi, I recently upgraded my monitor to 4K and noticed that Windows Scaling shows the value of 150% as Recommended. Leaving it at 100% is super crisp, clean, but small - the upgraded resolution is obvious. But I find that 150% almost looks like a 1080p resolution... and am...
  4. 4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution: Hi, I have a 4K 2160 x 3840 monitor for my Windows 10 PC.If i use windows display scaling set at 100%, all the icons are tiny, but when i do a screen resolution test using various websites, the results come back as 2160 x 3840.I used websites such...
  5. Windows 10 4K scaling

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 4K scaling: Hai, I’m planning to buy a new monitor. Preferably one with a high resolution whereas a high DPI/PPI. Online I read that windows 10 had issues with scaling for 4K monitors. Everything looks tiny and to fix that people use the scaling feature. But then some programs look...
  6. Anyone using a 4K monitor? Scaling issue when snipping?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone using a 4K monitor? Scaling issue when snipping?: When you run Windows and you take a screenshot using Snip & Sketch, do you have any weird scaling issues? I have a Windows laptop with 1080p native resolution that is connected to a 4K monitor. When I take screenshots using Snip & Sketch, a weird scaling effect happens where...
  7. How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor: I have a new 15.6" laptop and 27" external monitor. Both the laptop display and external monitor are 4k. So far the only app that does not scale properly is Remote Desktop. When I RD to another Win 10 Pro system the fonts in the RD window are so small that they are barely...
  8. How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor: I have a new 15.6" laptop and 27" external monitor. Both the laptop display and external monitor are 4k. So far the only app that does not scale properly is Remote Desktop. When I RD to another Win 10 Pro system the fonts in the RD window are so small that they are barely...
  9. 4K and 1080 Monitors problem...

4K and 1080 Monitors problem...: I purchased a 4K monitor and also have a 1080 monitor on my system. I have set the size of text, apps and other items in the Display options on the 4k monitor at 150% so its readable, at 100% the text is very small. I have set the 1080 monitor at 100%. The problem is...
  10. Scaling 1920x1080 to 4K screen

Scaling 1920x1080 to 4K screen: Hello everyone! I have a question that I have not been able to find a proper answer to, and I'm starting to think it's impossible to do. I recently bought a Dell XPS 15 with a 4K screen. I normally don't care for 4K but I thought it would be useful to futureproof my...