Windows 10: scam with microsoft warning and international charges

Discus and support scam with microsoft warning and international charges in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; received a pop up on a new computer saying an error occurred and to call the 800 number. I called and gave access to the person saying they were... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Cyndi44, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Cyndi44 Win User

scam with microsoft warning and international charges

received a pop up on a new computer saying an error occurred and to call the 800 number. I called and gave access to the person saying they were Microsoft tech support. They found that Russian hackers had accessed and used my credit card for a **** and in China for gambling. They told me my phone was compromised and I needed to use their dedicated line so they put me through to the credit card company. The call sounded very legit and the person at credit card company had all my information, He read my current charges, but then said I had $3000 in international charges that could not be stopped. Both the support tech and credit card customer service gave me their names and empl ID numbers. Of course they were foreigners with American names. Should have been my next clue but I wasn't thinking of that I was concerned about the credit card fraud. I was told by customer service at credit card There was a time window that I could go get gift cards to cover that amount but only encrypted ones from Target or Saphora. I thought this odd and asked why my account would not be frozen and a new card issued. I was told that since it was international and my phone must have been hacked since they had phone approval it could not be closed. It appeared so legit. I went to target and purchased 2 gift cards for the limit they would allow I gave the information to the Microsoft support tech. Then he told me to go to Macy's since time was of the essence. That is when I decided something was not right. I went to a friends house and used their landline to call the credit card company. I spoke to the reporting fraud department and asked them to look at my account. This rep. read off my charges just like the last guy. I asked him about international charges and if there were any for $3000 from Russia for a ****. He looked and said no. That is when I told him what was going on. He immediately closed my account which was interesting since the FAKE customer service rep. said it could not be closed. After that, I got 20 calls from the Microsoft tech. I decided not to answer. I was always skeptical and good at catching scams, but everyone can be had, especially when you have a lot going on. I was so focused on the dollar amount and identity theft, that I let the customer service rep and support tech trust them. Has anyone else encountered this?

How do I double check that they did not put something on my computer? I ran scans for maleware and virus, anything else?

:)

Cyndi44, Nov 27, 2019
  2. Guest1 Win User

Scam warnings

I am getting continuous scam warnings that say they are from Microsoft saying Microsoft has found a problem with my computer and to call a number. How do I clear my computer permanently of this warning?

Guest1, Nov 27, 2019
  3. Guest2 Win User
  4. Guest3 Win User

Scam warnings

What browser are you using?

You might want to get a good advertisement blocker...

And suggestion to read the following article which describes in detail various methods how to get out of such pop ups. The article also mentions methods how to prevent these kind of fake alerts.

Guest3, Nov 27, 2019
Thema:

1. scam with microsoft warning and international charges - Similar Threads - scam microsoft warning

2. WARNING! SCAM!! Window Defender Platinum Invoice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WARNING! SCAM!! Window Defender Platinum Invoice: Yes! I intentionally misspelled the words, because that is what Scammers do and how to identify. Microsoft Windows users beware! This scam, originally mentioned in this forum in 2021, is BACK! It is a Scam!!!!!!KM...
  3. WARNING! SCAM!! Window Defender Platinum Invoice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WARNING! SCAM!! Window Defender Platinum Invoice: Yes! I intentionally misspelled the words, because that is what Scammers do and how to identify. Microsoft Windows users beware! This scam, originally mentioned in this forum in 2021, is BACK! It is a Scam!!!!!!KM...
  4. microsoft security warning scam phone 1-888-970-5117

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    microsoft security warning scam phone 1-888-970-5117: While ELDERLY USER searching for COD RECIPE.CLICKED ON "SOMETHING"GOOGLE CHROME POPUP "microsoft security warning phone 1-888-970-5117"RESOLVED: TASK MANAGER "END TASK" GOOGLE CHROMEFULL VIRUS SCAN - NO THREATS FOUNDGOOGLE CHROME SECURITY CHECK - OKPASS IT ON...
  5. E-Mail Scam !!!!Warning Do Not Comply!!!!!

E-Mail Scam !!!!Warning Do Not Comply!!!!!: Dear Customer, Thank you for using our Services for the past year. YourWindows Defender support plan will expire in 5 days, so we thought we'd check in. We wanted to remind you that you have chosen the auto-renewal option for future charges. You will be billed from your saved...
  6. **Microsoft Warning Alert** scam - Microsoft Community**

**Microsoft Warning Alert** scam - Microsoft Community**: 16th April 2020. Hi Microsoft, PLEASE . comment on this : Whenever I/We get Windows 10 Updates, often daily. there's comment by persons on the Net and personally in touch NOT to post these update. PLEASE ADVISE. THANK YOU. as they say, there's are not advisable. hacked,...
  7. Scam "Warning Screen"?

Scam "Warning Screen"?: In the middle of checking emails and diverting to a familiar site I've accessed before, I received an alert warning with a loud alarm sound and a voice (computerized) stating that and attempt was made to access my system, but Windows Smart Screen prevented an unrecognized app...
  8. Microsoft Warning scam

Microsoft Warning scam: So I started my laptop today and I was gonna watch youtube so I turned on the volume and I am hearing about a spyware and the possibility of my laptop being disabled, so I looked into it and found out about the scam. I hear what I've read the warnings say but i dont get any...
  9. Red Scam Warning in Browser

Red Scam Warning in Browser: A little while ago, shortly after booting the computer and launching Chrome, the Yahoo! home page got replaced with a red page about some sort of malware attack on my computer, complete with recorded voice warning. Considering that Avast and Malwarebytes both found nothing,...
  10. UK scam warning.

UK scam warning.: DVLA email scam offers motorists car tax refund | Cars | Life & Style | Express.co.uk 86641