Windows 10: Scammed when turned laptop on. What do I do?

Discus and support Scammed when turned laptop on. What do I do? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi Really sorry, I'm naive and stupid and seem to have fallen for a scam and don't know what to do. I turned my laptop on and it came up with a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Nottechsavvymb, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Scammed when turned laptop on. What do I do?

Hi

Really sorry, I'm naive and stupid and seem to have fallen for a scam and don't know what to do.

I turned my laptop on and it came up with a black screen saying it had a serious virus, not to turn it off or it would be rendered unfixable but to phone the number displayed. Being an idiot I did.

They said that I had virus and that my version of windows 10 was problematic. They could fix it all remotely and install a new version of windows 10 for £250 and that would protect me for 3 years.

In my panic I agreed. I have since been told that this is a scam. Now I'm too scared to turn my laptop on. What could they have access to? What should I do?

Sorry for being stupid, please help me!!

:)

Nottechsavvymb, Jul 27, 2019
  2. n-ster Win User
    n-ster, Jul 27, 2019
  3. Munki Win User
    laptop LCD not turning on..

Here is a tip is you cant fix it, make it noticeable that you broke it...step on it *Wink Scammed when turned laptop on. What do I do? ;) "Oh my gawd, did i step on your lil ol laptop, im terribly sorry" Then she has no choice but to buy a new one.

Munki, Jul 27, 2019
  4. Zeeba# Win User

Scammed when turned laptop on. What do I do?

My hp laptop wont turn on

This is a frequent problem am sure as you have already seen from online searches.

Flea power is usually the culprit here, basically its residual power that remains on the computer even after thecomputer has been shutdown. You can drain the flea power with the steps the other answers have suggested.

• Disconnecting the battery and adapter
    • Press the hardpress the power button for 30 seconds
    • This should clear the flea power

If this doesnt work, read this article its about
    a dell inspiron
    but the same applies for you hp. It has some detailed step by step instructions

Zeeba#, Jul 27, 2019
Thema:

Scammed when turned laptop on. What do I do?

1. Scammed when turned laptop on. What do I do? - Similar Threads - Scammed turned laptop

2. Computer locked. Is this a scam? What should I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer locked. Is this a scam? What should I do?: I called 888.236.0923 phone was not answered as Microsoft. I have not clicked or called any other number. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-locked-is-this-a-scam-what-should-i-do/cdaeb063-ae61-48ea-bbe3-11e6df7861d2
  3. Computer locked. Is this a scam? What should I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer locked. Is this a scam? What should I do?: I called 888.236.0923 phone was not answered as Microsoft. I have not clicked or called any other number. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-locked-is-this-a-scam-what-should-i-do/cdaeb063-ae61-48ea-bbe3-11e6df7861d2
  4. What do I do? WHAT DO I DO!?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What do I do? WHAT DO I DO!?: A few weeks ago, I got an email from Paypal; long story short, it led me to a number, I allowed this a**hat into my laptop.I got scammed out of some money; I uninstalled everything related to that damn scam; I should have known better but I was just tired that day and wasn't...
  5. What to do when laptop is not turning ON after update and shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What to do when laptop is not turning ON after update and shutdown: My hp laptop is not turning ON after I did update and shutdown yesterday, it's just showing HP's loading screen and a restarting window and is alternatively showing these two loading screens . What should I do?...
  6. What to do when laptop is not turning ON after update and shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What to do when laptop is not turning ON after update and shutdown: My hp laptop is not turning ON after I did update and shutdown yesterday, it's just showing HP's loading screen and a restarting window and is alternatively showing these two loading screens . What should I do?...
  7. What to do when laptop is not turning ON after update and shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Received possible scam attempt what do I do?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Received possible scam attempt what do I do?: I received an alert on my computer saying that my computer could be infected and my personal and banking info had been compromised. Is this a scam and what do I do now? They provided a Microsoft support number that does not match any of the numbers in your list of...
  9. my computer scammed what do I do now

my computer scammed what do I do now: computer has been scamed what to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-scammed-what-do-i-do-now/aefcbc75-8029-4b4c-ae7b-0e17d8146a1b"
  10. What do I want to know about this scam?

What do I want to know about this scam?: Suddenly popped up. Does not give any workable option to close it. URL is strange, all sorts of flags here.... I even had a difficult time to regain control of the computer. It played a loud announcement. I switched off the speaker. Claims to be Windows Defender....