Windows 10: "Scan Drive for Errors": 6 months of non stop problems with Windows 10

Discus and support "Scan Drive for Errors": 6 months of non stop problems with Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everybody, I'm not big on posting in forums but I am truly desperate at this point. For over six months I've been in a daily struggle with my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Ben017, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Ben017 Win User

"Scan Drive for Errors": 6 months of non stop problems with Windows 10

Hello everybody, I'm not big on posting in forums but I am truly desperate at this point.

For over six months I've been in a daily struggle with my laptop, just to use Windows 10 for basic functions.

I'll try to keep the description as brief as possible, but basically around September 2020 I started getting a notification that read "scan drive for errors".

I would follow the steps, restart and let the computer scan and fix the files. But within hours I would get the same notification.

I've pretty much done everything I've read on this issue here on Microsoft Answers, and yet the problems remain.

I've done sfc /scannow, chkdsk, dism, and all the other relevant command prompts. It appears that they work, but sure enough the problems return sooner or later.

I've also reinstalled Windows 10 about 30-50 times since then with the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, and yet the problems remain.

I've gotten to the point where I get the "scan drive for errors" notification on my initial startup of Windows 10 after installation.

I thought maybe the problem was the way I installed it, so just to make sure I've deleted and created one new partition during install - and still the errors remain.

I cannot for the life of me figure this one out, and it seems like no matter what I do I eventually wind up with a bad OS.

So I guess my question is...what can I do? Is it possible this is a hardware issue and not software? Literally nothing changed back in September when the issues started.

Also, I know sometimes people ask for computer specs in order to provide answers. If this is the case, just tell me what specs you need and I'll post them. I can tell you that it's a genuine Windows 10 with an active subscription.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

:)

Ben017, Mar 10, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Error: problem with this drive. Scan the drive now and fix it when connecting an HD drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To get a clear picture of the issue, we will need the following details:

• When exactly are you receiving the error message?
    • Have you tried connecting the drive to any other USB port?
    • Are you able to access the drive on any other computer?
    • What is the make and model of the computer and the HD drive?

In the meantime, I suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

You can scan the drive for errors by following the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

1. Press Windows key + E, to open
      File Explorer
    2. Click on This PC on the left pane.
    3. Right click on the HD Drive and select
      Properties.
    4. Click on Tools tab, under
      Error Checking
      click on Check. This will scan the drive for error and fix them.
    Note: If any bad sectors are found on the hard drive while Windows try to repair the sectors, data on the sectors might be lost.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 10, 2021
  3. STOP error after Windows MCE 2005 clean install

OK, found the rest of it.

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive and make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0xF7C7B524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Ben Clarke, Mar 10, 2021
  4. RLRehm Win User

Windows 7 Professional keeps dropping the DVD/CD drive

Working with a fresh install (2nd attempt) of Windows 7 Professional on new hardware. The motherboard is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. Running 4G of RAM and an Intel Q9400 Quad Core CPU. The DVD/CD optical drive is a Pioneer DVR-218L.

Here's the problem - after two fresh installs, Windows 7 drops the DVD/CD drive and I get the following error in Device Manager (The device cannot start {code 10}). After the install, the drive works for a period of time, then stops working and I get the error code.

The driver appears to be a standard Windows driver (CD-ROM driver).

I've tried uninstalling the drive and re-installing it in Device Manager but it does not work - I continue to get the device error.

I've also swapped out the DVD/CD drive to insure it's not a bad unit. Same problem with both drives.

What do you suggest for next steps?? Could it be an issue with the motherboard?? A driver problem?

I visited the Pioneer web site - could not find any help or additional Windows 7 drivers.

What now??

RLRehm, Mar 10, 2021
Thema:

1. "Scan Drive for Errors": 6 months of non stop problems with Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Scan Drive Errors

2. Scanning and repairing drive won’t stop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scanning and repairing drive won’t stop: Does anyone know how I can fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scanning-and-repairing-drive-wont-stop/d1127665-2acf-41b4-a827-ee87e139454f
  3. Scan for drive errors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Scan for drive errors: I had recently experienced a problem with my device. I am unable to understand why it is happening. Initially i got a notification regarding the "scan drive for errors, restart to fix", when i restarted my device it says, repairing disk errors this might take over an hour to...
  4. Daily BSOD for 6 months

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Daily BSOD for 6 months: Hi. Looking to pin point whether it's a driver issue or hardware. So far, I've done the basic memory diagnostic tool for both RAM pieces seperately and they've come fine. I will do an overnight one tonight unless told otherwise if someone checks my dump files before I go to...
  5. non stop issues and errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    non stop issues and errors: how to i kill cortana permanently? I have her disable in group policy and I even have a reg entry made to disable her. She is non stop for no apprent reasoning using CPU in the background, non stop. What I love the most is that when i task manager and end task cortana, she...
  6. Scanning and repairing drive problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Scanning and repairing drive problem: Hello everyone, recently, my computer has been having this *problem* stated in the title which is the scanning and repairing drive in the loading screen. This problem just appeared out of nowhere when I came back from a 3-day trip of not using my laptop. I take care of my...
  7. Scanning and repairing drive problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Scanning and repairing drive problem: Hello everyone, recently, my computer has been having this *problem* stated in the title which is the scanning and repairing drive in the loading screen. This problem just appeared out of nowhere when I came back from a 3-day trip of not using my laptop. I take care of my...
  8. scanning flash drive for problems

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    scanning flash drive for problems: I am working with windows 10 and see that I have Windows Defender to scan drives...how do I scan flash drives to see if they have any problems? thank you 28791
  9. One Drive error 6

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive error 6: One drive error 6 Can not access any file for hours Robert 91062
  10. Scan drive for errors

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Scan drive for errors: I keep getting a notification to scan drive for errors: [img] It says to "Click to start scan" and it does nothing. I ran Chkdsk /scan as stated in "Event Viewer" and rebooted, but the message does not go away; even after clearing, it comes back. 97759