Windows 10: Scan to External Hard Drive Attached to Asus Router

Discus and support Scan to External Hard Drive Attached to Asus Router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hoping someone can help me with this...scanning to external hard drive attached to router. My setup: Windows 10 on a Dell Optiplex 9010... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jkle, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Jkle Win User

Scan to External Hard Drive Attached to Asus Router

Hoping someone can help me with this...scanning to external hard drive attached to router.

My setup:

Windows 10 on a Dell Optiplex 9010 (purchased from Dell's refurbished site, if that means anything)
    Asus RT-AC3200 router
    HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 printer
    Printer is connected via ethernet from switch (cannot be attached by USB cable as location is on opposite side of house)

I can scan to desktop, email, print wireless from laptop, any iPhone/iPad.

I've mapped the network hard drive. I originally noticed I had some permission issues, which I still think may be the case, and even though my user account is listed as Administrator, the only way I could change any kind of permissions anywhere seemed to come by way going to CMD and entering

Net user administrator /active:yes

then changing permissions from this account.

One thing I noticed last night was that when I looked at permissions on the mapped hard drive was that it still says "Special Permissions" only. I change it, hit Apply, and the check marks disappear, changing nothing. I'm not sure which account I was signed into at that moment.

On router, I've enabled share with read/write permissions on all folders within the external hard drive, enabled sharing on media server, FTP share...I'm trying anything and everything with my limited IT knowledge.

I'm at a loss as Asus techs weren't successful in helping resolve issue and a friend in IT logged in remotely to check to it out to no avail, but the friend only could spare about 10 minutes.

Anyone have some thoughts or suggestions please?

:)

2. Windows 10 backup image to nas fails, Error 0x80070570

Hello all. In an attempt to backup image of windows 10 to external hard drive attached by usb3 to asus router fails with the above error, indicating file is "unreadable and corrupted". The image almost completes then the error is delivered

I have been messing with this issue for awhile. I am not the most tech savy but due to the fact I have been trouble shooting this problem for over a year, I want to win this round. I will try to describe the behavior in a short and sweet manor.

Windows 7 pro images fine, when hard drive is directly connected to pc or connected through asus router.

Windows 8.1 pro delivers the same issue as my current windows 10 pro backup error. In both win10 and win8.1 when attempting to perform image backup to hard drive connected usb3 to asus router same error displays as mentioned in title of post. Interestingly,
    both image fine when directly connected to the pc that is being imaged.

Drives of machine being imaged and external hard drive are error free. The images have been performed using various laptops, and attempted images to at least 3 different external hard drives. All in which produce the same behavior.

Me thinks the problem has to do with permissions relating to the router or the fact that my router is a linuxed based device which uses samba and cifs for communication. Or some type of combination between the two. With that said some may think I would be
    better served consulting asus, however, there is not much to go on in their discussion and troubleshooting.

Also a couple other things, the hard drives when attached to the router can perform all other read and write activities, such as file history backups, or backups where you select your own files in both win 8 and win 10. The hard drive by the way is 2 terabytes (ntfs
    format) and all imaging has been attempted right after an install of the operating systems.

What I am going to do now is format the drive using ext4 and grant anonymous privileges. I will post results when complete.

Thanks in advance for the time and help.

mikesmith411, Sep 19, 2016
  3. Netwoek Credentials

I attempt to access my external drives attached to my asus router... When I attempt to acces the drives it asks me to enter network credentials. Under the credentials function I removed the need for network credentials but regardless of that change and
    rebooting ...whne I try to access the drives it again asks for network credentials.....It seems that there is a dependency that needs adjustment..... Please advise

PointMan51, Sep 19, 2016
Thema:

Scan to External Hard Drive Attached to Asus Router

1. Scan to External Hard Drive Attached to Asus Router - Similar Threads - Scan External Hard

2. Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing: It has been stuck for 16 hours. I cannot access the hard drive nor can I run chkdsk. If I am to physically remove the hard drive, how like will I be able to recover the lost data? Or do I just have to wait for even longer?...
  3. Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error checking external hard drive stuck at scanning and repairing: It has been stuck for 16 hours. I cannot access the hard drive nor can I run chkdsk. If I am to physically remove the hard drive, how like will I be able to recover the lost data? Or do I just have to wait for even longer?...
  4. External Hard drive scan and fix is stuck at 100%

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard drive scan and fix is stuck at 100%: When I plug in my hard drive, Windows wants to repair it, then loads to 100% and gets stuck. I searched for other solutions and came across "chkdsk". When I tried that, the same error occured. I suppose the cause of the error is that my hard drive is using exFAT instead of...
  5. Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive

Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive: I have a computer originally from my son. It had not been running for 5-7 years, burnt power supply. I was updating to most current Win 10 and the files got corrupted at version 1909 and it won't boot. In Win PE recovery mode I've tried system restore, system reset, advanced...
  6. Connecting an external hard drive to a modem-router

Connecting an external hard drive to a modem-router: I have a Western Digital My Book Essential external hard drive connected to my desktop computer by USB. I wanted to connect it instead to my Sky modem-router. Because the router does not have a USB port, I purchased a USB-to-RJ45 adapter and used this to make the connection....
  7. Stuck on BSOD with external hard drive attached

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck on BSOD with external hard drive attached: I was processing raw image files from an external hard drive when my screen went completely black. After a few seconds, I got the BSOD for the first time ever. It has been sitting at 100% complete for about 20 minutes. The fan is making a lot of noise (it's usually silent)....
  8. USB hard drive attached to Linksys EA3500 Router.

USB hard drive attached to Linksys EA3500 Router.: It’s also recommended that you map the external drive on your computer for fast, easy access. Mapping a network drive is simple. Just follow the steps listed below. 1. Open File Explorer from the taskbar or the Start menu. Alternatively, you can use the Windows Key + E...
  9. Connecting to a shared drive attached to my router.

Connecting to a shared drive attached to my router.: I recently found the need to "reset" Windows 10 after several years of operation. In doing so I lost the connection to a backup drive connected to my router. When I attempt to access the router directly I'm told that I have no internet access, which is not the case, nor can...
  10. Unable to Boot Windows 10 with External Hard Drive Attached

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to Boot Windows 10 with External Hard Drive Attached: So this question is asked here and there with nothing concrete. I have an alienware alpha with Windows 10. Whenever I plug in an external hard drive Seagate Backup Plus NAB90MJS 2019 the computer goes into black screen. Things I have tried: 1. Using Legacy BIOS 2....