Windows 10: Scanner requires a WIA Driver

Discus and support Scanner requires a WIA Driver in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My Canon MG3650 printer /scanner has suddenly developed a problem. When I click on the scanner a message appears saying I need a WIA Driver to use this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GeoffBott, May 20, 2019.

1. GeoffBott Win User

Scanner requires a WIA Driver

My Canon MG3650 printer /scanner has suddenly developed a problem. When I click on the scanner a message appears saying I need a WIA Driver to use this device. Canon UK are unable to help, saying it is a Windows Driver. Can somebody help me please, I have tried everything.

Thanks a lot

:)

GeoffBott, May 20, 2019

2. computer does not recognize scanner says WIA driver missing

Hi,

Solution 1: Restart Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Service

1. Type services in the search box, and then you will see services application is on the best match position. Open the services desktop application.

2. Find the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) in the services.

3. Right-click Windows Image Acquisition and select Properties from the context menu.

4. In WIA services properties, select the startup type as Automatic. And then click Start button in service status.

Tips: if the services status is running, try to stop it and then restart it again.

After you click the start button, windows 10 is attempting to start the WIA service on local computer. The process takes several seconds.

5. After the services control finish, click OK button.

6. Follow above steps to start other two services: Shell Hardware Detection and Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

After that, you can use the printer and scanner to test if it needs WIA driver when scanning.

Solution 2: Uninstall Scanner Driver

1. Open device manager and expand the Imaging devices.

2. Find the scanner and right-click it to select Uninstall.

Then the scanner driver will be uninstalled in your Windows 10.

3. Restart your computer, system will scan all the devices and install Windows 10 WIA driver for your scanner. And now, when you scan the documents, it can copy files properly.

Solution 3: Update Scanner WIA Driver

If the computer cannot help to install the WIA drivers correctly, you should do this thing by yourself. And sometimes, after you upgrade system to Windows 10, the incompatible or corrupted scanner driver may cause this problem. And there are two ways you can
    do to update WIA drivers for your scanner.

As the error remind, there is a CD containing WIA drivers for your Scanner, so reboot the CD with the CD/DVD drive to install the WIA driver step by step. But if you cannot find the CD media, you should go to the manufacturer’s website such as HP, Dell, Epson,
    Fujitsu.

1. Enter the scanner manufacturer’s website to find the scanner drivers and firmware, download them manually.

2. Install the scanner driver and update firmware step by step.

Solution 4: Troubleshoot for your Scanner

If the Scanner appears the error of “You need a WIA driver to use this device”, you can troubleshoot to fix the WIA driver missing problem. It is an automatic tool which can help to fix all the scanners whatever it is, Canon scanner, HP scanner or Dell scanner.

1. Go here: Windows > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.

2. Find Hardware and Device, and then click Run the Troubleshooter.

It will start scanning all your Windows system devices including Scanner and find the Scanner error and then repair it automatically.

Tips: If you are using a printer which contains the scanning function, you can also choose to troubleshoot the printer.

I think these three solutions will help to solve WIA driver disappearing problem. And if the scanner cannot scan, you can do a system restore to solve it if you want.

MilagrosM2020, May 20, 2019
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    wia driver

Hi Jan,

An outdated scanner driver is one of the possible reasons why your scanner needs a WIA driver in Windows 10. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the
      Windows key, type winver, and press the
      Enter
      key.
    • Do you have a third-party security software installed?

Meanwhile, I would suggest that you download and install the latest scanner driver from the manufacturer's website of your device. You can follow the steps in this

Forum Article
    that was provided by Andre Da Costa and go to the section,
    How to find and download drivers from the manufacturers website.

We'll be looking forward to your reply.

Eric Ber, May 20, 2019
  4. Scanner requires a WIA Driver

WIA driver and Canon scanner

For what it's worth. After almost but not all Win10 updates my Canon MX512 scanner is not found by my PC, neither by wireless or USB connection. The printer part works fine. A message appears telling me that I need to install the WIA driver. My MX512
    was up to date on software/drivers. I have been using Win's built-in scanner utility. Because it was simpler to use, less bells and whistles.

From my call to Canon I came away with the following answer. Canon said that it was up to MS to fix the problem and recommended that I use Canon's printer/scanner software which I am now using w.o problems. My web browsing seems to indicate that MS has
    not addressed this and there is no WIA driver to download and install. I see that HP printer/scanner owners face the same issue and are somewhat aimlessly (like me) searching for a WIA driver. I didn't have this issue with 8.1 or XP.

My conclusion is that Win 10's scanner utility will be problematic in some cases and rather searching for possibly a non-existent WIA driver it is best to use the software that comes with the unit.

ontheedge_911, May 20, 2019
Thema:

Scanner requires a WIA Driver

1. Scanner requires a WIA Driver - Similar Threads - Scanner requires WIA

2. سكانر يطلب wia driver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    سكانر يطلب wia driver: اسكانر من نوع BENQ موديل SZW 3300u wia driver تم تعريفه و لكن كل مرة اريد استخدامة يطلب مني علما ان الوندوز 7 BIT 32شكرا https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%D8%B3%D9%83%D8%A7%D9%86%D8%B1/e1610cab-c885-4257-a6cb-112e3b44bf43
  3. WIA driver not working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WIA driver not working.: My scanner will not work. It keeps saying I need a WIA driver. I have one. It is set to automatic. Microsoft says it is up to date and working, but I cannot change the settings. I have downloaded the latest drivers from Epson. I have turned off both computer and printer. No...
  4. Problem with 260ci WIA Driver

Problem with 260ci WIA Driver: Tried downloading my pictures to my laptop but not possible but when trouble shoot, it shows 260ci WIA Driver has a driver problem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-with-260ci-wia-driver/3d131ae0-7421-4a19-bca7-371d6294f376
  5. Driver 260ci WIA

Driver 260ci WIA: Troubleshoot cannot fix this problem. What can I do ? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/driver-260ci-wia/fe3e8763-ef6f-497b-bead-c3fc5d6a0621
  6. WIA Driver

WIA Driver: Hi I am trying to get my Canon i-sensys MF4780W printer's scanner to work from my laptop. I get message WIA Driver required to perform this action. I have windows 10, 64 bit. My WIA driver is running. Please can I get some advice on this matter. Marinda...
  7. computer does not recognize scanner says WIA driver missing

computer does not recognize scanner says WIA driver missing: Lenovo desktop using windows 10 will not recognise Canon MG5660 scanner says WIA driver missing. All other features of Photocopier work It was scanning successfully before....
  8. 260ci WIA driver (USB)

260ci WIA driver (USB): In WORD there are check marks on the side of most of my files and white Xs with a red back drop. I am not sure if this is a result of the driver message that says I have a driver problem. I'm only assuming the checks and Xs is a result of something else....
  9. WIA Driver for Canon MG8220

WIA Driver for Canon MG8220: I read your entries for similar questions/issues with other Canon scanners. Mine worked perfectly, including last night, but after Microsoft did an overnight update, the message appeared, requiring a WIA driver and refusing to recognize my scanner. Can you suggest a link to a...
  10. WIA driver to use this device

WIA driver to use this device: I have a hp officejet pro 8610 all in one printer and i can not use the scanner. i am getting a error saying, you need a WIA driver to use this device. please install it from the installation cd or from manufacturer's website and try again. I got through to HP and they...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wia driver epson

2. wia driver for epson scanner

3. epson 80ECDO WIA driver

4. epson printer wia driver windows 10,
  5. canon you ned a wia driver to use this device windows 10,
  6. wia driver epson scanner windows 10,
  7. wia driver,
  8. epson wia driver windows 10,
  9. wia driver in use windows 10,
  10. scanner needs wia