Windows 10: Scanning a USB stick

Discus and support Scanning a USB stick in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; What's a secure way to scan a suspect USB stick for malware/virii? I don't want to just plug it in with the possibility of getting infected. It's from... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by swarfega, Sep 1, 2017.

1. swarfega Win User

Scanning a USB stick

What's a secure way to scan a suspect USB stick for malware/virii? I don't want to just plug it in with the possibility of getting infected. It's from a neighbour that we've known for years but I don't trust her computer skills.

:)

swarfega, Sep 1, 2017
  2. Sleuth12 Win User

Scanning with Windows Defender

How do I use Windows Defender to scan an external hard drive or a USB stick? There does not appear to be any option to scanning the computer hard drive only.

Sleuth12, Sep 1, 2017
  3. Where did my files go?!?! (Windows 10)

Try Windows.old... In the C:-drive. Other users have to explain where, you find the files.
    Don't delete Windows.old BEFORE your files are back again, and then save them on extern harddisk and USB-stick!

If you will use file-recoveryprogram like the free Recuva, set it also to scan for non-deleted files, and Deep scanning. The fast scanning don't find much with any file-recoveryprogram. And install it on USB-stick, so you don't overwrite the "deleted" files...

MicaelNielsen, Sep 1, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Scanning a USB stick

I have since thought that one way would be with a linux live distro.

swarfega, Sep 1, 2017
  5. Tony K Win User
    Good thinking. Another would be with a VM. That's if one is willing to risk losing it.

Tony K, Sep 1, 2017
  6. swarfega Win User
    swarfega, Sep 1, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User

Scanning a USB stick

Please let us know if you use that and how it goes. Personally I wouldn't be sticking that thing in my main system, but that's me.

Tony K, Sep 1, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User
    Indeed I wont be, I will use my insider/linux machine. More likely Linux although thats not completely infallible either.

swarfega, Sep 1, 2017
  9. Borg 386 Win User
    Down the road you might want to use a USB immunizer on all your FD's. I have all my FD's immunized, but I'm still wary about plugging them into an unknown PC.

http://www.askvg.com/panda-usb-vacci...lware-attacks/

Borg 386, Sep 1, 2017
  10. DavidY Win User
    DavidY, Sep 1, 2017
  11. Borg 386 Win User
    Yep, seen those, they are supposed to have software installed first to limit their destructive ability & test if your system is safe from such attacks. Unfortunately they can be used to do quite a bit of harm to everyday objects that have USB ports out in public nowadays.

Borg 386, Sep 1, 2017
  12. swarfega Win User

Scanning a USB stick

Yes I was watching a video about one such situation the other day called Bash Bunny Primer:

[youtube]8j6hrjSrJaM[/youtube]

swarfega, Sep 1, 2017
  13. simrick Win User
    Oh yeah... version 2.0
    [youtube]Y37-PfXZujM[/youtube]

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Scanning a USB stick

1. Scanning a USB stick - Similar Threads - Scanning USB stick

2. USB stick problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB stick problem: I am new to this so I will try to explain my problem as best as I can, I've been getting used to my new laptop that has windows 10 on it and so far I have been watching some movies a friend put on a USB stick and up until today it has worked but this morning I put the USB...
  3. USB stick requirements

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB stick requirements: I want to download the 64 bit version of windows 10 pro for my new pc but my usb stick only has 7,45GB space. Is it enough? submitted by /u/NickAlpha [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e5fur1/usb_stick_requirements/
  4. scan usb

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    scan usb: does the built in Windows Defender automatically scan for viruses? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/scan-usb/caad821f-9201-4434-880c-7af84ba1be33
  5. USB memoty stick

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB memoty stick: I have never used a memory stick. I wish to know how to empty a stick and download photos. Can I be shown how, please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-memoty-stick/87a386dd-18b9-4f68-860e-ce4f8c7ffea3
  6. USB stick in use.

USB stick in use.: Have a problem I can't fix for a while now. Whenever I try to format it, make boot disk etc. I get a message that it's in use (by something) no idea what. It can be empty, not formatted, formatted etc. but same thing happens. Otherwise they work fine, I can write to them,...
  7. USB stick in use.

in Windows 10 Support
    USB stick in use.: Have a problem I can't fix for a while now. Whenever I try to format it, make boot disk etc. I get a message that it's in use (by something) no idea what. It can be empty, not formatted, formatted etc. but same thing happens. Otherwise they work fine, I can write to them,...
  8. Icon for ejecting usb stick

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon for ejecting usb stick: The icon has disappeared that I use to eject a usb safely. How do I get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_taskbar/icon-for-ejecting-usb-stick/5f83f60a-7497-4029-883c-4c843ef7ec54
  9. usb stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    usb stick: When using the media creation tool and when you get to the part where you can choose 'create USB stick' or 'ISO file> (Rufus not shown)', is it the same either way or is one better than the other? I used the ISO file and then Rufus to create the bootable stick to install Win...
  10. USB Stick is not recognized

USB Stick is not recognized: I have a 16GB USB stick. It had the ISO file of Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Today I "Wiped" it using MiniTool Parttion Wizard. Subsequently it was "Formatted" using the same tool. Now I have Windows 10 Creators Update in my Laptop. However, Window Explorer does not...