Windows 10: Scanning a USB stick

Discus and support Scanning a USB stick in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; What's a secure way to scan a suspect USB stick for malware/virii? I don't want to just plug it in with the possibility of getting infected. It's from... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by swarfega, Sep 1, 2017.

1. swarfega Win User

Scanning a USB stick

What's a secure way to scan a suspect USB stick for malware/virii? I don't want to just plug it in with the possibility of getting infected. It's from a neighbour that we've known for years but I don't trust her computer skills.

:)

swarfega, Sep 1, 2017
  2. Sleuth12 Win User

Scanning with Windows Defender

How do I use Windows Defender to scan an external hard drive or a USB stick? There does not appear to be any option to scanning the computer hard drive only.

Sleuth12, Sep 1, 2017
  3. Where did my files go?!?! (Windows 10)

Try Windows.old... In the C:-drive. Other users have to explain where, you find the files.
    Don't delete Windows.old BEFORE your files are back again, and then save them on extern harddisk and USB-stick!

If you will use file-recoveryprogram like the free Recuva, set it also to scan for non-deleted files, and Deep scanning. The fast scanning don't find much with any file-recoveryprogram. And install it on USB-stick, so you don't overwrite the "deleted" files...

MicaelNielsen, Sep 1, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

Scanning a USB stick

I have since thought that one way would be with a linux live distro.

swarfega, Sep 1, 2017
  5. Tony K Win User
    Good thinking. Another would be with a VM. That's if one is willing to risk losing it.

Tony K, Sep 1, 2017
  6. swarfega Win User
    swarfega, Sep 1, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User

Scanning a USB stick

Please let us know if you use that and how it goes. Personally I wouldn't be sticking that thing in my main system, but that's me.

Tony K, Sep 1, 2017
  8. swarfega Win User
    Indeed I wont be, I will use my insider/linux machine. More likely Linux although thats not completely infallible either.

swarfega, Sep 1, 2017
  9. Borg 386 Win User
    Down the road you might want to use a USB immunizer on all your FD's. I have all my FD's immunized, but I'm still wary about plugging them into an unknown PC.

http://www.askvg.com/panda-usb-vacci...lware-attacks/

Borg 386, Sep 1, 2017
  10. DavidY Win User
    DavidY, Sep 1, 2017
  11. Borg 386 Win User
    Yep, seen those, they are supposed to have software installed first to limit their destructive ability & test if your system is safe from such attacks. Unfortunately they can be used to do quite a bit of harm to everyday objects that have USB ports out in public nowadays.

Borg 386, Sep 1, 2017
  12. swarfega Win User

Scanning a USB stick

Yes I was watching a video about one such situation the other day called Bash Bunny Primer:

[youtube]8j6hrjSrJaM[/youtube]

swarfega, Sep 1, 2017
  13. simrick Win User
    Oh yeah... version 2.0
    [youtube]Y37-PfXZujM[/youtube]

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Scanning a USB stick

1. Scanning a USB stick - Similar Threads - Scanning USB stick

2. File manager corrupts JPG photos while scanning usb stick.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File manager corrupts JPG photos while scanning usb stick.: When the usb memory is opened for the first time in the file manager, the pictures inside are not corrupted, but as you scan the usb memory, it starts to corrupt the photos normally the original photos are visible, but for some reason it corrupts the photos while scanning. I...
  3. File manager corrupts JPG photos while scanning usb stick.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File manager corrupts JPG photos while scanning usb stick.: When the usb memory is opened for the first time in the file manager, the pictures inside are not corrupted, but as you scan the usb memory, it starts to corrupt the photos normally the original photos are visible, but for some reason it corrupts the photos while scanning. I...
  4. Problem with USB sticks

Problem with USB sticks: I have tried to format a USB stick. It finished formatting and was empty but the next time I looked I found a folder called SoundBlastBackup. I tried to delete it but its permissions were held by System and nothing I could would let me get at the object.I gave up with that...
  5. “USB memory stick."

“USB memory stick.": I wanted to look into what I called, “USB memory sticks among other things and came up with the following term. “A small electronic device used to store digital data, more portable and robust than a hard drive.” Knowing nothing about them I have always bought inexpensive ones...
  6. usb stick abnormalities

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    usb stick abnormalities: I have 2 usb connected to pc.I checked and see both chdsks are ok.One 7gig FAT usb Active ,primary partitionSandisk 8 gig FAT usb primary partitionso my question is -why is the sandisk 8 gig -not Active ??? I tried changing the usbs in their socket- same reading just...
  7. Bootable USB stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bootable USB stick: I downloaded from the official website the ISO of Windows 10, the one released on 10th of October 2020. At the moment I'm using Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS, and I want to go back to windows OS. As probably many know, while creating the bootable USB stick with windows ISO, I encounter...
  8. Software to usb stick

in Windows 10 Support
    Software to usb stick: First I have never tried this and know nothing about what I want to do. I have many questions. I have a piece of software that is an iso file. It is too large to put on a DVD. I have been told I can put it on a usb stick. Can I use IMGburn to do this? The usb stick I want...
  9. USB stick infected?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    USB stick infected?: Hello ten community, When i connected my USB stick on PC ( windows LTSC v.1809) got such weird folders. please see attached screenshot. I had it formatted before and nowhere connected till today. whats that? p.s. is any solutions to avoid PC infections from USB? when i...
  10. usb stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    usb stick: When using the media creation tool and when you get to the part where you can choose 'create USB stick' or 'ISO file> (Rufus not shown)', is it the same either way or is one better than the other? I used the ISO file and then Rufus to create the bootable stick to install Win...