Windows 10: Scanning network is picking up wrong Interface, mac, and ip address?

Discus and support Scanning network is picking up wrong Interface, mac, and ip address? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I've just used an application to scan for pc's on my network as a shortcut for wake on lan. Two of the three pc's show up with spot on information... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by klepp0906, Mar 25, 2020.

1. klepp0906 Win User

Scanning network is picking up wrong Interface, mac, and ip address?

So I've just used an application to scan for pc's on my network as a shortcut for wake on lan. Two of the three pc's show up with spot on information in its entirety.

The one illustrated in the photo, has everything incorrect barring the host name.I have went into device manager and disabled the vm adapter, which then passes to the other vm adapter. only upon disabling them both does it actually pick up the proper interface & associated information. This is obviously not a solution and I'd like to understand why its happening and how to fix it.

As you can see in the app, you can specify the ip range to scan, and the ip it's picking up for the problem pc isn't even IN the range. The IP it should be picking up is 192.168.1.1 so it evidently see's it on some level.I have done a Get-NetIPInterface and the metric is higher than my ethernet adapter. I've inflated it further just to be safe, with no change so evidently that is not the root of the issue.

If someone could advise id be appreciative.

Scanning network is picking up wrong Interface, mac, and ip address? [​IMG]

:)

klepp0906, Mar 25, 2020

2. Change Mac address

The MAC address is like your devices ID ,so short of being able to change very core settings ,you're not gonna be able to do anything unless I'm mistaken.

Maybe you don't need to change your MAC address, what is it you're trying to accomplish?

Spoiler: I found this change mac w/o root I can't say whether or not this is an effective method it's just a method I found after searching this topic .
    I cant say whether or not it is "safe" or if the software required is free. use at your own risk.

Change MAC Address of Android Devices without Root Access

Go to Settings>About Phone>Select Status and then make a note of the current MAC Address of your Android device.
    Download the Android Terminal Emulator application from the Google Play Store. You can directly navigate to the Android Terminal Emulator Google Play Store download page by clicking here.
    Launch the above application on your Android device and then type “IP LINK SHOW”.
    Note the interface name of your Android device from the list.
    And then type in the command below,
    ip link set interfacename XX:XX:XX:YY:YY:YY
    Replace interfacename with the Interface Name of your network that you noted in Step 4 above and XX:XX:XX:YY:YY:YY with the MAC Address you wish to set.
    And that’s it. The MAC Address of your Android device will now be modified/changed.

jboydgolfer, Mar 25, 2020
  3. petrib Win User
    E61 IP and MAC addresses

Which is easier to remember as *#MAC WLAN#

Anyway, the MAC address is also printed on the label in the phone under the battery.

There is no built-in user interface/tool/application to show the IP address that gets assigned to the phone (for any connection).

It is possible to do it programmatically (at least by opening a TCP/IP or UDP socket and then getting the information from/for the socket).

petrib, Mar 25, 2020
  4. divB Win User

Assign additional/virtual MAC address/interface on Win 10

I have the frustrating scenation at my university that they supply static IP addresses via MAC address.

When I register my computer with my MAC in my apartment I get an IP from a specific address range. When I come to the office, I get a random IP address assigned because it is not in the same network.

Now the policy is that every MAC address can only be registered once for a static IP address. I would need to decide if I want a static IP at home or at the office. But I want a static IP address at both locations and I do not want to assign static addresses or use scripts.

Which options do I have?

• Is it possible to somewhat assign two MAC addresses to an interface (an alias)? Likely not.
    • Maybe a bridge of some sort is a solution?
    • I could definitely install a tap device and bridge this with my ethernet interface but this I would like to avoid if there are better (and importantly, built-in) options.

Thema:

1. Scanning network is picking up wrong Interface, mac, and ip address? - Similar Threads - Scanning network picking

2. IP address wrong?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IP address wrong?: By clicking a link here is the message I Get....."No se pudo encontrar la dirección IP del servidor de edicion.tramita.comunidad.madrid".No way to follow the link. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ip-address-wrong/407d68bf-614b-45db-bb43-adf529a38a08
  3. IP address wrong?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    IP address wrong?: By clicking a link here is the message I Get....."No se pudo encontrar la dirección IP del servidor de edicion.tramita.comunidad.madrid".No way to follow the link. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ip-address-wrong/407d68bf-614b-45db-bb43-adf529a38a08
  4. Pinpointing the owner of a Mac/ip address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinpointing the owner of a Mac/ip address: anyone know how to do track down the info on a device if I have both the MAC and IP address?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pinpointing-the-owner-of-a-macip-address/6e1618e5-dcad-4c8e-a2aa-329d5d06a94e
  5. Pinpointing the owner of a Mac/ip address

Pinpointing the owner of a Mac/ip address: anyone know how to do track down the info on a device if I have both the MAC and IP address?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pinpointing-the-owner-of-a-macip-address/6e1618e5-dcad-4c8e-a2aa-329d5d06a94e
  6. Pinpointing the owner of a Mac/ip address

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Wrong IP address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wrong IP address: My computer for the last year keeps getting the wrong ip address. This can be fixed most of the time by restarting my computer, but it is weird how it keeps thinking I'm on the other side of the country. So when I go on other applications, they think I'm using a VPN and deny...
  8. Wrong IP address

Wrong IP address: Hey! So I got my pc repaired recently and noticed that my internet is weirdly bad. I checked my ip address and it is some other state. Not sure why, it's not the routers fault since my other devices are working just fine. I think it might have to do something with the repair...
  9. No mac address associated with ip address

No mac address associated with ip address: I got an error message while trying to open an app. It said No mac address associated with ip address error -8. What can fix this? I tried reinstalling the app several times, rebooting, etc. Nothing has worked so far. This app used to work fine then all of a sudden I got...
  10. Determinig an IP address using MAC.

Determinig an IP address using MAC.: Hello everyone! Today i need to find a device connected to my LAN network using it's MAC address. In case someone tries to tell me to do Code: arp -a[/quote] - it's not a way to do it. The case is i'm trying to find login page of Teltonika's RUT900. Default is...