Windows 10: Scared to do a clean install due to situation

Discus and support Scared to do a clean install due to situation in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I work at a small business (3 computers) that has no IT and bad computer setup. I have been doing my best as acting IT and been trying to update their... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Beanieazy, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Scared to do a clean install due to situation

I work at a small business (3 computers) that has no IT and bad computer setup. I have been doing my best as acting IT and been trying to update their system. However, I am quite scared to make the final leap that will help with their setup. Their current main computer is the server. It runs Windows Server 2012 r2. I have ordered a NAS and want that to be the 'server'. I feel quite able to set that up but once I do, I would like to get rid of Server 2012 on the main computer and replace with a basic os. I know I can do this by backing everything up and doing a clean install.

The part that I'm nervous about is if the program files are able to be restored after the install. We have EHR software on the computer and the files do not backup to a cloud. They are only on the computer and the other computers can only access it from a file share. How do I make sure I have everything backed up that I don't delete years of patient data and records? And how do I restore that data afterward?

I know questions about clean installs have been asked hundreds of times before. I would just rather feel stupid for asking and double checking than feeling confident and deleting everything.

submitted by /u/Beanieazy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Beanieazy, Oct 29, 2019

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Oct 29, 2019
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Oct 29, 2019
  4. Porthos Win User

Scared to do a clean install due to situation

Recommended clean install for this situation

Personally would never do that. Too many things can go wrong after that and you will get the blame.

Porthos, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

Scared to do a clean install due to situation

1. Scared to do a clean install due to situation - Similar Threads - Scared clean install

2. WHAT DO I DO I AM SCARED

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WHAT DO I DO I AM SCARED: I have a microsoft lockdown while scrolling through websites. Now the thing is that I have been told to never do this however I was scared and dialed the number and they answered the call, they said to not worry and do the following. Press ctrl then alt then Delete . After I...
  3. what do i do in this situation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what do i do in this situation?: what do i do in this situation, when i click “ok” it takes me back to this screen over and over. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-do-i-do-in-this-situation/5b9caeb6-a8b7-447a-aec0-51d88a96551f
  4. what do i do in this situation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what do i do in this situation?: what do i do in this situation, when i click “ok” it takes me back to this screen over and over. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-do-i-do-in-this-situation/5b9caeb6-a8b7-447a-aec0-51d88a96551f
  5. im scared to install virtualbox

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    im scared to install virtualbox: im scared to install virtualbox https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-scared-to-install-virtualbox/603777d3-8132-4ef9-8317-b9c3fe537872
  6. Scared to update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Scared to update: Recently a Windows 10 update and come out. My dad updated his pc but it wiped all of his hard drive. He has backed it up but I am scared to do the update myself. Should I do it? What should I do? Could someone please help. submitted by /u/ZlousyYT [link] [comments]...
  7. Recommended clean install for this situation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recommended clean install for this situation: A friend has an AIO that was originally Windows 8, don’t know if it was upgraded to 8.1. The computer was upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period but it ran lousy. Her “expert” daughter wiped the HDD shortly afterward. Didn’t know what to do after that. A few...
  8. Doing a clean install?

Doing a clean install?: Then your old OS will still be legal. Why not partition your hard drive and keep your old OS in case of problems? When I had a shop build my Win 7 desktop, I paid a little extra to have them install my legal copy of XP on a small partition. It ran some old software that...
  9. Very interesting clean installation situation for both 7 and 10.

Very interesting clean installation situation for both 7 and 10.: Note: The issue is not caused by Windows downloading every language pack available. For both Windows 7 and 10, the installation will take ~10 hours. The upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Premium OEM will take ~30 hours. I have also purchased a Windows 10 Home USB for a...
  10. How to backup and clean install? Specific situation

How to backup and clean install? Specific situation: Hey, guys, so I need your help. I have an ASUS laptop with pre-installed Windows 8 Home(UEFI). I've additionaly installed Ubuntu alongside. After a while, I wanted to uninstall the Ubuntu and install another distribution but I wasn't sure how to do that, and the guides...