Windows 10: Schedule SHADOW COPY problem wmic

Discus and support Schedule SHADOW COPY problem wmic in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to plan a schedule of shadow copy like image, but even if set correctly appear an error 0x800700002. I verify and the file wmic is present..... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hispanico, Mar 18, 2021.

1. hispanico Win User

Schedule SHADOW COPY problem wmic

I'm trying to plan a schedule of shadow copy like image, but even if set correctly appear an error 0x800700002.
    I verify and the file wmic is present..
    Where i wrong or where is the problem ??

Thnak
    Hispa

:)

hispanico, Mar 18, 2021

2. Shadow Copy With Storage Spaces?

1 Create shadow storage

1.1 The System protection tab in System Properties

• this GUI only lists NTFS volumes, so you can't create shadow storage for ReFS volume there
    • instead try one of:
      • vssadmin add shadowstorage /for=D: /on=D: /maxsize=100GB (Windows Server only)
        • alternatively for non-server Windows editions try vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=D: /on=D: /maxsize=10% that will add shadow storage if it does not exist and thus is comparable to vssadmin add
      • wmic shadowstorage call create Volume=D:\ DiffVolume=D:\ MaxSpace=20
        • if this command returns ReturnValue = 10 (which is Unknown error) workaround follows
      • wmic shadowcopy call create Volume=D:\
        • creating shadow copy on disk without shadow storage will create one automatically
        • you can resize the shadow storage with vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=D: /on=D: /maxsize=10%

1.2 List shadow storages

• make sure the shadow storage is there and configured using one of:
      • vssadmin list shadowstorage
      • wmic shadowstorage list

2 Create shadow copy

2.1 Create shadow copy

• you want to use scheduled system protection feature, but for now just take a snapshot manually:
      • wmic shadowcopy call create Volume=D:\

2.2 List shadow copies

• verify the snapshot was created:
      • vssadmin list shadows /for=D:

3 Mount shadow copy

• since you are using Storage Spaces, you won't see snapshots in Previous versions tab in disk/file properties
    • but the snapshots exists and can be mounted as a folder
    • this shortage apply for both NTFS and ReFS Storage Spaces
    • to mount a snapshot you will need shadow ID, shadow path and temporary folder

3.1 Get shadow copy ID

• vssadmin list shadows /for=D:
      • look for something like this Shadow Copy ID: {5cc29315-0379-415e-8496-69923618e3de}

3.2 Get shadow copy path

• wmic shadowcopy where "ID='{5cc29315-0379-415e-8496-69923618e3de}'" get DeviceObject
    • or vssadmin list shadows /for=D:
      • look for Shadow Copy Volume: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy624

3.3 Mount shadow copy as folder

• mklink /j %tmp%\shadow \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy624\
      • note the extra \ at the end
      • the shadow copy is now available in %tmp%\shadow

Vlastimil Ovčáčík, Mar 18, 2021
  3. Volume Shadow Copy - Win 10 problems

Hi Göran,

There are several reasons why the error shows when creating a System Restore. In some cases, it can be due to multiple backup solutions installed on your PC that causes conflict. For us to better assist you, we would like to ask for additional information.
    Please answer the following:

• Do you have another backup solution in your PC aside from the one provided by Microsoft?
    • Have you tried checking the Windows Services if the Shadow Copy, Task Scheduler, and
      Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service are running?

We hope to hear from you soon.

Jennifer Cha, Mar 18, 2021
  4. Schedule SHADOW COPY problem wmic

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered.

Hi,

Thank you for getting back with a reply.

I suggest you to start the Volume shadow copy service and check. Follow these steps:

a. Click Start and type services.msc in the search box.

b. Search for the Volume shadow copy service and make sure the start- up type is automatic.

i. Right click on the service

ii. If the service is stopped, then Start the service

iii. Select Properties

iv. And in the Start-up type select Automatic.

c. Click Ok.

Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Mar 18, 2021
Thema:

Schedule SHADOW COPY problem wmic

1. Schedule SHADOW COPY problem wmic - Similar Threads - Schedule SHADOW COPY

2. Timing of Shadow Copy Deletions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Timing of Shadow Copy Deletions: Running Server 2003 R1. Shadow copies are enabled and set to use a maximum of 25GB. Instead of deleting incrementally, the copies build up to 25GB and then all of the copies are deleted at once. Is there a way to change this to an incremental deletion?...
  3. Shadow copy and SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shadow copy and SSD: Hello.I have an ASUS ROG with an internal ssd and a internal hdd that i use as storage.A few months ago i install O&O defrag.When try to use trim command appears a message to disable shadow copiescreation of restore points because decrease the life time of ssd!!!Is that...
  4. Shadow copy and SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shadow copy and SSD: Hello.I have an ASUS ROG with an internal ssd and a internal hdd that i use as storage.A few months ago i install O&O defrag.When try to use trim command appears a message to disable shadow copiescreation of restore points because decrease the life time of ssd!!!Is that...
  5. shadow copy storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shadow copy storage: i have to resize shadow copy size.what commands do i need?i tried vssadmin.. this did not work.this needed for create a system image. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shadow-copy-storage/02922a1c-fc7a-42de-bd1d-a2f882196c08
  6. shadow copy storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shadow copy storage: i have to resize shadow copy size.what commands do i need?i tried vssadmin.. this did not work.this needed for create a system image. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shadow-copy-storage/02922a1c-fc7a-42de-bd1d-a2f882196c08
  7. Shadow copy auditing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Shadow copy auditing: Hi There,I need a way for auditing shadow copy creation/deletion/restoration events. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shadow-copy-auditing/b1b5734d-245b-4b07-8cb3-8196bc7f46ba
  8. Schedule SHADOW COPY problem wmic

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Schedule SHADOW COPY problem wmic: I'm trying to plan a schedule of shadow copy like image, but even if set correctly appear an error 0x800700002. I verify and the file wmic is present.. Where i wrong or where is the problem ?? Thnak Hispa 176149
  9. Shadow Copy Windows10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shadow Copy Windows10: Hello, I update to 18860 Insider build, before that I was able to see my shadow copies in "Previous version" tab in every folder. But latest build loose my task schedules, can you help, what is right command to enable shadow copies again and show on "Previous version"?...
  10. Restore and Shadow Copy

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore and Shadow Copy: What is the difference between System Restore and Shadow Copy? I am familiar with the first, but only came across references to the second recently. 56132