Windows 10: Schedule task not repeating.

Discus and support Schedule task not repeating. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am pulling my hair since yesterday, looking on google but nothing found, I have a very similar issue about this post on superuser Windows 10 task are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gilcon19, Feb 19, 2017.

1. gilcon19 Win User

Schedule task not repeating.

I am pulling my hair since yesterday, looking on google but nothing found, I have a very similar issue about this post on superuser Windows 10 task are not running.

I also try to set up the schedule on start up and it will just execute once, then the repeating schedule is not triggered. It even doesn't have an error. It will just say "The operation completed successfully.(0x0)".

Please help me, thanks.

BTW this is my first post here.

:)

gilcon19, Feb 19, 2017

2. (SOLVED) Anniversary Update (Version 1607 Build14393) Breaks Task Scheduler

I've discovered the issue.

All the affected tasks were set to start at some point early in the morning, and repeat every minute.

If you create a task that starts earlier in the day than the current time (the time when you are creating the task), and set it to repeat every minute, it will not run until your first start time of the next day.

For example, if the current time is 04:05:00 PM and I create a task to run at 12:00:00 AM every day, and repeat every minute, task scheduler will say that the next time the job will run will be 04:06:00 PM, as expected, but the job will not run at 04:06:00
    PM. It will not begin running until 12:00:00 AM the next day.

However, if the current time is 04:05:00 PM and I create a task to run at 04:06:00 PM every day, and repeat every minute, task scheduler will say that the next time the job will run will be 04:06:00 PM, as expected, and the job will run at 04:06:00 PM, and
    repeat every minute after that.

So, if you need tasks to start at 12:00:00 AM every day, everything is fine if you're willing to wait until the next day for your tasks to begin functioning. But that's not expected behavior, and is not always an option.

This is a bug - task scheduler has never behaved in this manner in any previous version of Windows, at least as far back as Windows 7.

jd_ms_0315, Feb 19, 2017
  3. Scrawny Win User
    Windows 10 Task Scheduler doesn't work

I found an answer. In frustration, I ran regedit.exe and then opened Task Scheduler. When an error was presented, I searched the registry and deleted the key involved. I thought that I would have to repeat this for the nearly 60 errors but after about 10
    or so all the rest of the errors disappeared.

Task Scheduler now runs properly.

I had created a system image prior to doing this in case of disaster.

Scrawny, Feb 19, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, welcome to tenforums. Could I suggest anyone who tries to answer this needs more detail.

Please post a screenshot of all relevant parts of your scheduled task specification, including conditions, triggers and what you are scheduling.

Also one of your event manager like that on the superuser page you posted.

Also a screenshot like this please:

Schedule task not repeating. [​IMG]

dalchina, Feb 19, 2017
  5. gilcon19 Win User
    This is the only event saved on the task scheduler folder, the operational log is empty.

My services.

And the task schedules

All the non repeating task is working normally. I also deleted some of my tasks and test tasks.

I created the 3 task task 1, task 2 and task 3. Then restart the system, then wait for more than 5 minutes before taking the screen shoot.
    First on the google update it should repeat every 1 hour, but the last run time is on 2 pm.
    The task 2 should run on start up, but i don't know it didn't run. because on my previous test, it runs.

I was just starting using windows 10, around last November. then I just notice that some of my task is not triggering when i check my backup yesterday.

Thanks

gilcon19, Feb 19, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hello, you need one successful run of your task triggered by the system (not manually) before repetition can start.

Focus on one task which is set to repeat. Can you see that it has run successfully once after e.g. logging on?

Please provide a screenshot of all details of that task. E.g.

I can confirm I see tasks repeating in my scheduler history, also that this question has occasionally been asked over the years as you'll know, I expect.

Please note: forum rules forbid 'thread bumping and useless one-liners' - thanks.

dalchina, Feb 20, 2017
  7. DavidE Win User
    In Task Scheduler, Enable All Tasks History

If history is enabled you can look at the History tab of any task that ran since history was enabled to see each step in the task
    Look at each step in the task and see if there are any errors

I don't know if there is a tutorial for this with pictures and better instructions, i couldn't find one

DavidE, Feb 20, 2017
  8. gilcon19 Win User

Ohh my task history is disabled, I thought the logs is from the event viewer.
    I will reply later with my task schedule history.

gilcon19, Feb 20, 2017
  9. gilcon19 Win User
    Test task 1

This task successfully executed but doesn't have next run time.

Test task 2.

This task never runs, even it has a next run time, it just past the next run time and add 5 minutes on the next runtime, even the system is already running for more than 30 minutes.

Thanks.

btw sorry for the one-liners thread bumping.

gilcon19, Feb 20, 2017
  10. DavidE Win User
    In the task Settings tab
    Enable the Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed
    See if that makes a difference

From what i can see in the screen prints
    the task was registered on 2/21/2017 6:34 PM
    the task is scheduled to start on 2/21/2017 4:00 AM
    maybe it missed the first scheduled start because it was set to start before the task was registered

DavidE, Feb 20, 2017
  11. gilcon19 Win User
    Yes the run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed is enabled.

and the test 1 and test 2 successfully run the task at first.
    But on the test 2 even the next run time is changing every 5 min, the last run time is still the same even after 20 minutes. While the test 1it only managed to run it first schedule at startup and there is no next run time available.

Thanks.

gilcon19, Feb 21, 2017
  12. DavidE Win User
    @gilcon19
    I can duplicate your issue
    from what i've found,
    if the task is created or edited/saved with a scheduled start datetime in the past it does not work correctly
    if i set the scheduled start datetime in the future, the task works correctly

i never used the Repeat task every option with minutes before, i never had a need to run a task every few minutes so i never tested it
    i've used the Repeat task every option before with hours in Win 7 and didn't have any problems

i'm going to create a task in Win 10 to check for Windows Defender definition updates and schedule it to run every 4 hours to see if it works correctly
    i use to do that with Win 7 / MSE to keep more up to date with new definitions and never had problems

DavidE, Feb 21, 2017
  13. gilcon19 Win User

@DavidE
    Yeah the 5 minutes repeat task every option is for the test, so I can quickly take screen shoots.

I will also recreate the test with a longer time for the repeat task every option.

Actually I am been using Win 10 around 3 months and before with Win 7 I never had this problem.

Thanks

gilcon19, Feb 22, 2017
  14. DavidE Win User
    Cool, play around with the settings and see how it works for you.
    I did create a WD definition update task that runs every 1 hour and so far that is working correctly.

DavidE, Feb 22, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    I confirm that seeing a future start date for a task scheduled in minutes works, in the past, doesn't.

dalchina, Feb 22, 2017
Thema:

1. Schedule task not repeating. - Similar Threads - Schedule task repeating

2. Task scheduler!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task scheduler!: Hi again, I clicked on Defrag optimise files and this came up! I have been into services to try and start it but no joy! Not had this problem before!Any ideas?Windows 10 22H2Brian...
  3. Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Scheduler: I want to schedule a video file using task scheduler and the task scheduler is working properly and the wizard opens where I have to choose an application to run the video file but when I select VLC or Power Media Player, it shows these errors: Why is it happening?...
  4. Task to be scheduled

in Windows 10 Customization
    Task to be scheduled: Hi,My requirement is that systemwhich flap is down and it is shutdown should turn on daily 7 amIt should open MS Teams and certain more apps.I tried the Windows Task scheduler but No such optionCan anyone suggest any Program for this or guide me for this requirement in Task...
  5. Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task Scheduler: Hey r/windows10, I'm trying to use Task Scheduler, and struggling. I've looked around on the internet for solutions, but either my searches aren't worded right, or this isn't a common question, but essentially what I'm trying to do is make my computer shut down at 2am if I...
  6. Task scheduler

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task scheduler: Hi! In Windows task scheduler I have turned on "run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed". Task was not started on the day it was supposed to start, and I wanna ask you, will it run task next day? And the second question - can I set latest time to run...
  7. Scheduled Tasks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Scheduled Tasks: I have found working with computers for the past 30 years that they don't make mistakes. Or if they do, they make them consistently. That being said, I use Scheduled Tasks and Robocopy to backup to different drives on the same, and different computers on the same network....
  8. Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler: I have a relatively new install of Windows 10. I installed a new SSD and installed from scratch and then reinstalled all my software. I created some scheduled tasks, just 4 simple copy and paste tasks that I use for backing up. I've recently had to reinstall from scratch my...
  9. How to schedule repeating task in Microsoft To-Do app?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to schedule repeating task in Microsoft To-Do app?: Hello I recently downloaded Microsfot To-Do app on my laptop and iPhone and I have two concerns 1- scheduling a task on a certain day and setting this task to be repeated everyday not showing this task on my day list in the next day 2- the app synchronized the tasks with...
  10. Task scheduler

in Windows 10 Support
    Task scheduler: I have created a task that will run once every night 01:00 on my Windows machine. It worked OK before upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Now it doesn't. When I try to run it manually from Task Scheduler following error occurs: Task Scheduler service is not available. Task...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 1607 task repeat not working