Windows 10: Scheduled "At Startup" task that worked in Windows 7 no longer works after upgrade to...

Discus and support Scheduled "At Startup" task that worked in Windows 7 no longer works after upgrade to... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; On Windows 10 Pro 10.0.18362 Build 18362 The scheduled task ran fine "At startup" in Windows 7 Pro as the Admin user, but stopped working after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by firstlast_933, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Scheduled "At Startup" task that worked in Windows 7 no longer works after upgrade to...

On Windows 10 Pro 10.0.18362 Build 18362

The scheduled task ran fine "At startup" in Windows 7 Pro as the Admin user, but stopped working after upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

I normally shutdown and power off the computer at night.

If the computer is powered off and then powered on and Windows started, the task does not run at startup.

If Windows is shutdown but the computer is not powered off and then Windows is started, the task runs at startup.

I have tried running the task At Startup:

+ as Admin : no success

+ as SYSTEM: no success

+ delayed 10 minutes: no success

+ Run whether user is logged on or not: no success

+ Run with highest privileges: no success

+ Start only if Any network connection : no success

+ Start without network connection: no success

+ Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed: no success

+ If task fails, restart every 5 minutes for 4 tries: no success

The task runs fine if manually selected to Run in task scheduler.

The task runs fine after the computer is powered back on if changed to from "At Startup" to "start at 2am" with "Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed"

Why is it not running with the At startup setting?

This problem exists for any "At Startup" scheduled task that I create.

Any suggestions how to get "at startup" scheduled tasks working?

My current workaround is to use the 2am start with run task as soon as missed.

:)

firstlast_933, Dec 5, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

Startup task doesn't work, but putting it in Task Scheduler works-why?

I suggest the explanation as to why it doesn't work which you sought is in the text of the tutorial:

dalchina, Dec 5, 2019
  3. HokieMan Win User
    Task Scheduler Error

When I access Task Scheduler, an error appears that says SqmUpload_S-1-5-21......... no longer exists. To see the current tasks, click Refresh. However, the same message appears when I click Refresh. I can close the message and it appears the Task Scheduler is OK. A person on the Microsoft boards gave me several steps to follow beginning with booting into Safe Mode. However, I received a message when I accessed Task Scheduler that it doesn't function in Safe Mode.
    I did not feel safe following their additional suggestions at that point as I am not that adept at such endeavors. Has anyone else encountered this error and/or found a simple solution? I feel it is caused by some remnant leftover from Windows 7 during the upgrade but this is pure conjecture on my behalf.

HokieMan, Dec 5, 2019
  4. Scheduled "At Startup" task that worked in Windows 7 no longer works after upgrade to...

random shut downs, defender scan at startup, Task scheduler doesn't work?

Upgraded from W7 to 10.. machine randomly shuts down, and defender scans at startup. Machine sometimes shuts down during startup scan!

I don't know why defender scans at startup (Machine USELESS for 7-10 minutes). Task schedule doesn't work. Problems not resolved.

Task schedule thread: Wakeup task not working in Windows10

RickMcKenney, Dec 5, 2019
Thema:

Scheduled "At Startup" task that worked in Windows 7 no longer works after upgrade to...

1. Scheduled "At Startup" task that worked in Windows 7 no longer works after upgrade to... - Similar Threads - Scheduled Startup task

2. Task Scheduler not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler not Working: Hi My problem is that when I attempt to run a task such as the W7 backup or one of my own scripts via Task Scheduler, it doesn't work. I have an external hard drive attached for the backup location. I close my laptop lid and verify that both the laptop and XHD are asleep. I...
  3. Scheduled Task, Custom Power Profile No Longer Work

in Windows 10 Support
    Scheduled Task, Custom Power Profile No Longer Work: I've had a custom power profile set to put my PC in sleep mode after 4 hrs idle and a task setup in Task Scheduler to wake the PC every morning at a specified time. Both have been working flawlessly for a long time. Now, after installing update KB4592449 neither are working....
  4. EliseM_456 My Reply is not working. Custom task in task scheduler is not working after...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    EliseM_456 My Reply is not working. Custom task in task scheduler is not working after...: hello elise, i'm having trouble replying. that's why i wast able to answer you. is there some other way I can talk to you? this is my question -...
  5. Reply is not working. Custom task in task scheduler is not working after windows update

Reply is not working. Custom task in task scheduler is not working after windows update: hello elise, i'm having trouble replying. that's why i wast able to answer you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reply-is-not-working-custom-task-in-task-scheduler/652a9fcd-7c0c-494f-8dc4-48b25041ffaf
  6. Custom task in task scheduler is not working after windows update

Custom task in task scheduler is not working after windows update: Hello, please someone help me out in this one. i recently updated my windows 10 to latest 2004 build. this has caused a custom task in my task scheduler to stop working. for reference i task i created is from this site https://trendblog.net/lock-feature-bitlocker/ it used to...
  7. Task Scheduler not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Task Scheduler not working: Hi, I've set up a scheduled task to transfer files using WinSCP using a batch file .bat. The task works as intended when I run the task manually by clicking the run option inside Task Scheduler. When I allow the task to run automatically using the daily trigger, the error...
  8. Task Scheduler not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task Scheduler not working: Hi everyone, I'm having issues with the Task Scheduler since a time ago. A message saying "The remote computer was not found" when I try to open it. I've searched for this problem and tried to run the command line "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" but it...
  9. Task Scheduler no longer working, Unable to start.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Task Scheduler no longer working, Unable to start.: Can't install any application that use the task scheduler service. It is no longer running and I can't determine what has caused it to stop. I have checked the event viewer for anything related to the task scheduler stopping and could not find any results. This appears to...
  10. Startup task doesn't work, but putting it in Task Scheduler works-why?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Startup task doesn't work, but putting it in Task Scheduler works-why?: On my Win 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1803 machine with 16GB RAM and an i5 Intel chip, I like Task Manager to start automatically on startup. 1) If I put its shortcut in the Startup folder, nothing happens. 2) If I create a TaskScheduler task for it, to start on logon of any user,...