Windows 10: Scheduled Defender Definition Updates Not Completing After AU

Discus and support Scheduled Defender Definition Updates Not Completing After AU in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Going back to Windows 8 I have created a task to manually update Windows Defender definitions on a schedule. This is fairly straightforward as detailed... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by bru, Aug 28, 2016.

1. BRU
    bru Win User

Scheduled Defender Definition Updates Not Completing After AU

Going back to Windows 8 I have created a task to manually update Windows Defender definitions on a schedule. This is fairly straightforward as detailed here Auto update Windows Defender and here http://www.thewindowsclub.com/update...dates-disabled.

Today I noticed the computer that has updated to AU is not completing the task. I get "The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)".

The created task and the included argument is the same on all my computers. "“C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe” -SignatureUpdate​".

My other computers, which do not have AU, complete the task without error. I am fairly certain the one with AU also completed it prior to the update. AFAICT the file location is named correct and is the same after the AU so why can it not find the file specified?

It appears Defender is updating definitions on its own (not frequent enough which is why I schedule the definition updates) and I can update them manually through the program so the function is working.

:)

2. Cos_ Win User

Windows 10 Schedule Updates, Is there anyway to schedule updates a couple time a day?

An advantage to scheduling updates is you can schedule updates to occur ~ 1 hour Before you have a Win Defender scan scheduled. Thus you scan with latest virus definitions.

The problem with not being able to schedule updates is that more than half the scans done with windows defender appear to be done with day old virus definitions.

Microsoft needs to fix this problem so when Defender scans are run, they automatically run with latest definitions.

This should be obvious. Maybe they'll fix it.

3. bru20 Win User
    Automatic Update broke Windows Defender

Definition Signature updates work fine after the modification I described above. Scheduled Defender scan still does not.

I guess GreginMich is MIA.

bru20, Aug 28, 2016
  4. BRU
    bru Win User

I have resolved this. The Action entered has to be modified to:

"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate

5. simrick Win User
    *Thumbs Cheers!

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Scheduled Defender Definition Updates Not Completing After AU - Similar Threads - Scheduled Defender Definition

2. Defender - UPDATE DEFINITIONS

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender - UPDATE DEFINITIONS: For well over a year now, Defender has not auto-updated Definitions. I must manually select Update Definitions. Can someone tell me how to fix this? Thank you....
  3. Not Getting Defender Definition Updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not Getting Defender Definition Updates: I have Task Scheduler set to check for Defender definition updates every 15 minutes, which it is doing without interruption. The virus definition update history lists the last 50 updates and I usually receive 8-12/day. However, when I look at the definition update history,...
  4. Windows Defender Definition Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Defender Definition Updates: I have a Toshiba Satellite P875-S7200 & also a Dell Inspiron17 (series 5000). Both computers have Windows 10 64-bit. The Toshiba has version 1809 on it and the Dell has version 1803 on it. On both computers all updates seem to install without issue except the Windows...
  5. Defender Scheduled Scans & Definition Updates Not Working Correctly?

Defender Scheduled Scans & Definition Updates Not Working Correctly?: Hi, I am really baffled by the following situation. On Windows 10 Pro 1803 I set up tasks for scheduled scans and definition updates as follows: 1. Using Group Policy Editor I set up definition updates to run every 3 hours starting at 6am in the morning. The updates occur...
  6. definition updates for defender

definition updates for defender: i have had 8 of these in one day was wondering if something is wrong 121010
  7. definition updates for defender

in Windows 10 Support
    definition updates for defender: i have had 8 of these in one day was wondering if something is wrong 121010
  8. could not update defender definitions

could not update defender definitions: Error message 0x80004004 shown when trying to update windows defender definitions in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/could-not-update-defender-definitions/a94e2c99-c5fa-4dfa-aac3-8c40134ca5db"
  9. Updating Defender Definitions.

Updating Defender Definitions.: can't update the definition https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_updating-windows_10/updating-defender-definitions/01d2f8f4-51bd-48f3-b7d7-03f00f5c959d
  10. bsod after au updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    bsod after au updates: hi i cannot send dm_log-collector because of windows error [invalid file]. since the au updates this computer has been a problem. i would like you to see this file. is there another way? thank you 68783