Windows 10: Scheduled Defrag treats SSD as HDD and defrags it while manual doesn't

Discus and support Scheduled Defrag treats SSD as HDD and defrags it while manual doesn't in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi fellow Windows users, so I've been using 1903 for a while but noticed some weird behaviour regarding the default defragment tool. I know Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by desmonds99, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Scheduled Defrag treats SSD as HDD and defrags it while manual doesn't

Hi fellow Windows users, so I've been using 1903 for a while but noticed some weird behaviour regarding the default defragment tool. I know Windows 10 normally treats SSD and HDD seperately and will only trim SSDs instead of defragging them. Which is what happens when I try to optimize my SSD manually. It says X% trimmed, nothing unusual.

Manual optimization

Scheduled Defrag treats SSD as HDD and defrags it while manual doesn't [​IMG]

However if I let Windows optimize on a regular schedule, and then leave the computer idle for a while, here's what happened:

Scheduled optimization

Scheduled Defrag treats SSD as HDD and defrags it while manual doesn't [​IMG]

It says 15% defragmented (I used printscreen so I could capture this before it gets terminated). So I let it run again and observed its behaviour. It went through different stages like analyzing, defragging and finally consolidating, and it took a long time to progress just like defragging a fragmented HDD, unlike trimming, which takes like 5 seconds on average.

I'm not sure when it started behaving like this, but definitely not on or before 1809. I discovered this issue back in last year but only brought this up now since recent updates didn't seem to have fixed it.

My system drive is a Samsung 850 Evo 500GB. I also wonder if anyone else can reproduce this.

:)

desmonds99, Apr 29, 2020

2. Defragmenting SSD

Hello everyone! Should I use the Windows 10 built-in Disk Defragmentation to defragment my SSD? Some internet sources suggest that SSDs should never be defragmented.

Nikos Lagios, Apr 29, 2020
  3. kthr33 Win User
    Defrag Schedule

In Windows 10, my system is set to defrag weekly. Is it possible to see when during the week it is set to defrag? Some of my people prefer to shut their systems down over night and if the defrag schedule is known, they would know to leave their systems
    on that night. All suggestions, ideas, comments any wish to offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, K.

kthr33, Apr 29, 2020
  4. Scheduled Defrag treats SSD as HDD and defrags it while manual doesn't

Defragging a mechanical HDD - How much free space do you need?

Scheduled optimization is defrag for HDD and may be re-trim or defrag for SSD.

Igor Leyko, Apr 29, 2020
Thema:

Scheduled Defrag treats SSD as HDD and defrags it while manual doesn't

1. Scheduled Defrag treats SSD as HDD and defrags it while manual doesn't - Similar Threads - Scheduled Defrag treats

2. Defrag a SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defrag a SSD: I have been told by Norton it is safe to use the defrag tool that is built into Windows even on a SSD. I was very worried about it because I have damaged a SSD before by defragmenting it. I used a third party tool then though. Has Norton lied to me about this. I had paid for...
  3. Defrag a SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defrag a SSD: I have been told by Norton it is safe to use the defrag tool that is built into Windows even on a SSD. I was very worried about it because I have damaged a SSD before by defragmenting it. I used a third party tool then though. Has Norton lied to me about this. I had paid for...
  4. HDD defrag

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD defrag: Hey! My HDD model: st1000dm010-2ep102 is stuck at 2% in defragmentation,no matter what I do.. 50% occupied. I use latest drivers latest win10 and all,what should I do? Is it a problem? Does it affect my HDD performance and loading times? Thanks if you help....
  5. Defrag SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defrag SSD: I have read defragging a SSD (Solid State drive) can greatly shorten its life so i have turned off scheduled maintenance for C & D discs however it seems to turn itself back on again over time (i am not sure when) is there a way of uninstalling windows 10 defrag or a...
  6. SSD optimize and defrag

SSD optimize and defrag: There is a place to set optimize and defrag on or off and to schedule if you wish. However, I have read that Windows does this itself in its own way. So should I turn mine off or leave it set to a month? 130044
  7. Defragmenting SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defragmenting SSD: Hello everyone! Should I use the Windows 10 built-in Disk Defragmentation to defragment my SSD? Some internet sources suggest that SSDs should never be defragmented. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmenting-ssd/a3aac7a1-64d5-4c2d-a1eb-7b62401e340d
  8. To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD)

To defrag or not to defrag? (non-SSD): My secondary drive in my system is a 2TB standard hard drive. Windows 10 defrag (both UI and the command line) tells me that I do not need to defrag the disk, as it is "0% fragmented" but upon delving a little further (adding the /V switch) I notice that it doesn't include...
  9. Should SSD's be defragmented

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should SSD's be defragmented: Here's a question that hasn't been asked before I'm sure. Should an SSD be defragmented. Seriously, I know there are a multitude of opinions on this but was wondering what the experts on this forum would suggest. 52802
  10. Windows Defrag schedule / SSD maintenance query

Windows Defrag schedule / SSD maintenance query: Hi all, As I posted in another thread (about another issue) a while back, I recently installed an SSD and did a clean install of Windows 10. Being my first experience of using an SSD, I did a lot of reading up on it, mainly about maintenance, such as defragmentation etc,...