Windows 10: Scheduled task crashing system on startup

Discus and support Scheduled task crashing system on startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a device that, once I login, after a ~30 second pause, is bombarded with countless command prompt windows, to the point where it freezes the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by righteousficus, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Scheduled task crashing system on startup

I have a device that, once I login, after a ~30 second pause, is bombarded with countless command prompt windows, to the point where it freezes the system entirely. CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing to stop it; the mouse doesn't even track after the process has been going for a couple of seconds. Once the command prompts start opening, all actions other than a hard reset are impossible.

-Windows 10 Home, fully updated through April's 1909
    -Nothing of note in the error logs
    -Performed SFC /scannow in safe mode ... errors found and corrected
    -Performed checkdisk ... nothing
    -Performed a full virus scan using Avast (outside of OS) ... nothing identified (was running Avast CloudCare before the event started)
    -Performed a Windows Reset (keeping apps and files) ... no change

None of these helped. I turned off the Task Scheduler in the registry to perform some of these actions, but it doesn't really define what is causing the command prompts to open. Before I go digging through the tasks registry, does anyone have any ideas?

Also, yes, I could easily reinstall Windows and transfer the files to a sledded drive and move them back, but it would take a while reinstalling the software I have on there, and it doesn't tell me what actually went wrong.

:)

righteousficus, Apr 20, 2020

2. Task Scheduler with error message The selected task »CreateChoiceProcessTask« no longer exists

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

I suggest you to clear the task from Task Scheduler using the below steps and check if the issue still persists.

Steps:-

• Type Task Scheduler on Search bar.
    • Click on Task Scheduler Library.
    • Select the particular task and right click on it.
    • Select End.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Apr 20, 2020
  3. Task scheduler

No errors found by each suggestion. May have to do a clean install unless someone has a different solution

disherabcd, Apr 20, 2020
  4. Scheduled task crashing system on startup

Task scheduler

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

What error message you're getting while using Task Scheduler?

Suggest you try the below mentioned steps to fix any issue with corrupted system files:

• Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open Task Manager.

• Click File > Run New Task

• Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”

• Type CMD

• Type or copy/paste the following commands at the CMD prompt:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannnow
    Reboot the system and check if the issue still occurs. If the problem still persist, try to check the issue by creating other User Profile to see if problem still arises.

Hope this will address your query.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Apr 20, 2020
Thema:

Scheduled task crashing system on startup

1. Scheduled task crashing system on startup - Similar Threads - Scheduled task crashing

2. Automation by Task Scheduler how to trigger by System Startup for auto-login As-Is, it is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automation by Task Scheduler how to trigger by System Startup for auto-login As-Is, it is...: When Mom prefer auto-login, how to automate Word to run upon System Startup? Task did not trigger even though Mom is automatically login after Startup of Computer.Microsoft Windows 11 Home Version 22H2 10.0.22621 Build 22621 Task Category Launch condition not met, user not...
  3. Automation by Task Scheduler how to trigger by System Startup for auto-login As-Is, it is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automation by Task Scheduler how to trigger by System Startup for auto-login As-Is, it is...: When Mom prefer auto-login, how to automate Word to run upon System Startup? Task did not trigger even though Mom is automatically login after Startup of Computer.Microsoft Windows 11 Home Version 22H2 10.0.22621 Build 22621 Task Category Launch condition not met, user not...
  4. Task Scheduler crashes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Scheduler crashes: Hello. I was editing an xml for Task scheduler to import. I didn't notice I missed a digit in the date so when it saved it errored immediately. When I tried to start Task Scheduler it loops in a error. I deleted the file from system32 location but it still errors out. Is...
  5. Task Scheduler wont run “.exe” file on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler wont run “.exe” file on startup: So, I have the AutoHotKey script, to permanently lock the NumLock key. I converted it to an .exe file because I thought that would solve the Task Scheduler problem. The thing is, its not working! I checked Task Manager, and it actually shows up there, after restart, but its...
  6. Task manager > startup > task scheduler configuration tool

in Windows 10 Support
    Task manager > startup > task scheduler configuration tool: So im going through my pc's with a comb (you've noticed if you are following this forum lol) and i came across this. Due to the fact I have 2 entries on this pc, and 1 on my backup pc, I "think" i know what it is, but I want to make sure as I dont recall them being there in...
  7. Scheduled job not running at system startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Scheduled job not running at system startup: I use a proprietary backup system which uses the task scheduler to kick off its scheduled backups. One of these is set to be started at system startup time, but it does not get run. A time-scheduled backup ran OK, though. So it looks as if something is broken on system...
  8. Startup task doesn't work, but putting it in Task Scheduler works-why?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Startup task doesn't work, but putting it in Task Scheduler works-why?: On my Win 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1803 machine with 16GB RAM and an i5 Intel chip, I like Task Manager to start automatically on startup. 1) If I put its shortcut in the Startup folder, nothing happens. 2) If I create a TaskScheduler task for it, to start on logon of any user,...
  9. Task Scheduler "At startup" Causing Performance Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler "At startup" Causing Performance Issue: When I use Task Scheduler to launch a video (MP4) with VLC, at startup, the video stops several times, for a second or two. Am I doing something wrong, or is this a problem in Windows. 64738
  10. Task Scheduler at startup fails

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler at startup fails: Task Scheduler will not run a .bat or .vbs on startup; both were tested with Task Scheduler Run. 101817