Windows 10: Scheduled task doesn't work when Windows is locked

Discus and support Scheduled task doesn't work when Windows is locked in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an odd request. I have my PC at work automated to backup everything on it every day at the same time, but I have it set to do so after I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tangre, Mar 25, 2021.

1. tangre Win User

Scheduled task doesn't work when Windows is locked

I have an odd request. I have my PC at work automated to backup everything on it every day at the same time, but I have it set to do so after I've closed all my programs and left. Reason is I also have it backing up my locally stored Outlook files, but the backup fails as long as Outlook is running. I leave at 5:00, the backup starts at 5:15, and then I also created a scheduled task to log Windows out at 5:30 ("c:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe" in the Program/script box and "-l" in the Add arguments box). I like it logged out so when I come in the next morning, I have to open a number of programs, and I have scheduled tasks at logon to open all of these programs for me. My issue is I lock my PC at 5:00 right before I leave. I've noticed when I do this the log off task simply fails. It works fine when unlocked, but not when locked. I could just turn off auto lock but I like it to be locked when I'm not near it and I usually do lock it myself manually but sometimes I forget. This is strange since even though it's locked, it's technically still logged on. The only thing I tried is setting the task to "run whether user is logged in or not" but that makes the task stop working completely, when I try to run it, it just does nothing. Does anybody know if there's a workaround to make it work when the screen is locked?

:)

tangre, Mar 25, 2021
  2. BetoLP Win User

Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Scheduled task doesn't work when Windows is locked [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Mar 25, 2021
  3. Window's Task Scheduler Not Running

Hi,

To assist you better, kindly provide us more details by answering the following questions:

• Have you tried recreating the task? If so, are you getting the same issue?
    • Have you tried creating a new task?
    Meanwhile, we suggest that you ensure that the Task Scheduler is running. You can verify if the service is running by following these steps:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Under Services (Local), make sure that the Task Scheduler service's status is
      Started or Enabled.
    Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Mar 25, 2021
  4. Scheduled task doesn't work when Windows is locked

Task Scheduler with error message The selected task »CreateChoiceProcessTask« no longer exists

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

I suggest you to clear the task from Task Scheduler using the below steps and check if the issue still persists.

Steps:-

• Type Task Scheduler on Search bar.
    • Click on Task Scheduler Library.
    • Select the particular task and right click on it.
    • Select End.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Mar 25, 2021
Thema:

Scheduled task doesn't work when Windows is locked

1. Scheduled task doesn't work when Windows is locked - Similar Threads - Scheduled task doesn't

2. Task Scheduler: PC sleeps when locked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Scheduler: PC sleeps when locked: Recently had to do a fresh install of windows 11 and forgot to save instructions to re-do a task scheduler task which puts the PC to sleep when locked with Win + L or similar. Can anyone help me out with step by step instructions on how to add this back? Regards...
  3. Task Scheduler: PC sleeps when locked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Scheduler: PC sleeps when locked: Recently had to do a fresh install of windows 11 and forgot to save instructions to re-do a task scheduler task which puts the PC to sleep when locked with Win + L or similar. Can anyone help me out with step by step instructions on how to add this back? Regards...
  4. Task Scheduler doesn't start task

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Scheduler doesn't start task: I use FreeFileSync to backup my NAS to a USB drive. The batch file runs when I manually start it by double clicking on the batch file. Per FreeFileSync instructions I put "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\FreeFileSync.exe" in the "Program/Script: field" and "C:\FreeFileSync...
  5. Task Scheduler doesn't start task

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Scheduler doesn't start task: I use FreeFileSync to backup my NAS to a USB drive. The batch file runs when I manually start it by double clicking on the batch file. Per FreeFileSync instructions I put "C:\Program Files\FreeFileSync\FreeFileSync.exe" in the "Program/Script: field" and "C:\FreeFileSync...
  6. Task Scheduler doesn't start task

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Task Scheduler asks for username and password, doesn't work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Task Scheduler asks for username and password, doesn't work: In trying to create a UAC bypass with task scheduler, I came across a problem. Task Scheduler asks for a password.I searched many forums, and the solutions never worked, which led me to create a question myself. I am trying to run with the highest privileges, except there is...
  8. Task Scheduler not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Task Scheduler not working: Hi, I've set up a scheduled task to transfer files using WinSCP using a batch file .bat. The task works as intended when I run the task manually by clicking the run option inside Task Scheduler. When I allow the task to run automatically using the daily trigger, the error...
  9. Task Scheduler not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task Scheduler not working: Hi everyone, I'm having issues with the Task Scheduler since a time ago. A message saying "The remote computer was not found" when I try to open it. I've searched for this problem and tried to run the command line "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" but it...
  10. Startup task doesn't work, but putting it in Task Scheduler works-why?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Startup task doesn't work, but putting it in Task Scheduler works-why?: On my Win 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1803 machine with 16GB RAM and an i5 Intel chip, I like Task Manager to start automatically on startup. 1) If I put its shortcut in the Startup folder, nothing happens. 2) If I create a TaskScheduler task for it, to start on logon of any user,...