Windows 10: Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby)

Discus and support Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So, I've spent the last week scouring the web for this and failed! I am trying to wake a Dell XPS laptop overnight to run maintenance tasks, including... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Jong, May 13, 2019.

1. Jong Win User

Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby)

So, I've spent the last week scouring the web for this and failed!

I am trying to wake a Dell XPS laptop overnight to run maintenance tasks, including backup to local network server, and so far it has proven impossible.

While in the "Resiliency Phase" (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...modern-standby) all apps run in an Interactive Session are suspended but task running In Session-0 appear able to run. However, once the computer has entered DRIPS any task that relies on sleeping hardware will not succeed and on the Dell XPS, which runs in "Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected", this includes the network adaptors (both WiFi and USB connected Ethernet), so even backup tasks that I can get to run still fail due to no network connection. Waking from DRIPS on a schedule seems impossible!

Wake timers do not work on Modern Standby systems, so neither do any user created Task Scheduler tasks (even ones set to run under SYSTEM). About the only thing that will occasionally wake the system is Windows Update, but it seems there is no longer any way to schedule that. Microsoft docs say UWP apps can (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...y-wake-sources) but it seems no one has written one for this purpose.

Surely there must be a way, short of writing your own UWP app, to get a Modern Standby system to wake from DRIPS out-of-hours for housekeeping?? There don't seem to be any code snippets we can use. This just seems crazy hard!

All that needs to happen is for the software equivalent of a "power button press" or even, I think, just the computer to leave DRIPS. The tasks are waiting to run and as soon as the system wakes they should keep the system awake until they have completed.

Hopefully someone can make me look a total fool and point out something I have missed!

:)

2. t0yz Win User

Can't enable Modern Standby

You need an exclusively UEFI PC (without Legacy support) for Modern/Connected, at least it's what I've heard. I guess if that Z390 doesn't have it, I am not really expecting any consumer desktops to implement it, I assume it would require manufacturers to kinda rewrite their BIOS. It is also indirectly suggested on Anandtech that the feature depends on the onboard WiFi:

Personally I love my Ethernet cables and 1Gbit speeds, and WiFi would be the last thing I'd do to my PC, but I would like to test this feature when I buy a new PC, since Z370 is clearly out of question. Considering that Z390 basically has onboard WiFi and Z370 doesn't , it further solidifies this as a potential WiFi only feature. Maybe it's possible for the PC to switch to WiFi for Connected Standby and then back to wire after it wakes up? That would be nice.

Edit: there's also this:
    "Modern Standby is only available on some SoC systems. When it's supported, the system does not support S1-S3."

Yeah... S3 is the "normal" standby. So if your firmware manufacturer supports that, it's bye-bye Modern? Ouch.

3. Task Scheduler not compatible with Connected Standby

Just so you will know... With Windows 10 on the Surface tablets, Task Scheduler cannot wake the device to perform a task. Task Scheduler is incompatible with Connected Standby. Unbelievable...

MichaelWGilbert, May 13, 2019
  4. Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby)

Mark St..., May 13, 2019
Thema:

Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby)

1. Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby) - Similar Threads - Scheduled wake DRIPs

2. windows 11 modern standby

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 modern standby: HiWe are working on scheduled recordings using modern standby on regular desktop Windows 11PC with live TV Tuners. We use UWP notifications to wake from S0i3. The problem is that sometimes Windows wakes up and goes back to sleep in 30 seconds so our scheduled recordings are...
  3. windows 11 modern standby

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 modern standby: HiWe are working on scheduled recordings using modern standby on regular desktop Windows 11PC with live TV Tuners. We use UWP notifications to wake from S0i3. The problem is that sometimes Windows wakes up and goes back to sleep in 30 seconds so our scheduled recordings are...
  4. S0 Low Power Idle (Modern Standby) and wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    S0 Low Power Idle (Modern Standby) and wake from sleep: Powercfg /a tells that the only supported sleep state is S0 Low Power Idle. That is a very confusing thing, I could not find satisfactory information by googling. Is that sleep state supposed to arm keyboard/mouse wakeup the exact same way than S3? I see that if I force S3...
  5. Window keeps waking up laptop from Modern Standby

in Windows 10 Support
    Window keeps waking up laptop from Modern Standby: Hi, On my new laptop (it's in my specs) that came with 2004 preinstalled so far I have figured out that updating it to 20H2 has brought back the option to enter Code: reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power /v PlatformAoAcOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0 (in an elevated...
  6. Stop Modern Standby from activating on SP4

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stop Modern Standby from activating on SP4: I have repurposed a MS Surface Pro 4 that has a cracked display into a file server to replace a very old HP laptop that was serving in that role. The SP4 has no keyboard, has several USB drives, a USB Ethernet connection, and is connected to AC power. The drives are shared on...
  7. Modern Standby - slow wifi after wake

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Modern Standby - slow wifi after wake: I have fast internet speeds over wifi when I connect to the network (approx. 600Mbps). If my machine goes to sleep (modern standby enabled) and I wake it up after a while, speed drops from the original speed to a pretty constant 20Mbps. If I disconnect from wifi and...
  8. How to use Task Scheduler to wake a laptop from 'Connected Standby'?

How to use Task Scheduler to wake a laptop from 'Connected Standby'?: Hi I have just purchased a new laptop which apparently only support 'Connected Standby'. In spite of setting a Task Schedule to wake the PC from 'Connected Standby' I have not had any success. The Task Schedule is set as per my older Windows 10 Home laptops that do WAKE the...
  9. Disable mouse wake up in modern standby

Disable mouse wake up in modern standby: Hi, I have new laptop Dell which support modern standby. There is one thing, I can't disable mouse to prevent waking up from modern standby. My mouse does not have power switch, so every time when I put my laptop to backpack it wakes up, because of mouse. I have tried...
  10. No option for "disconnected standby" anymore on modern standby device

No option for "disconnected standby" anymore on modern standby device: I can't find any information about this, but did MS, for whatever reason, remove the toggle option on the WiFi settings to turn off WiFi during modern standby? The option isn't available anymore for my laptop. I am speaking about this option: https://i.imgur.com/jD6odQx.png...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. modern standby schedule wake

2. modern standby task scheduller

3. drips modern standby