Windows 10: Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby)

Discus and support Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So, I've spent the last week scouring the web for this and failed! I am trying to wake a Dell XPS laptop overnight to run maintenance tasks, including... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Jong, May 13, 2019.

1. Jong Win User

Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby)

So, I've spent the last week scouring the web for this and failed!

I am trying to wake a Dell XPS laptop overnight to run maintenance tasks, including backup to local network server, and so far it has proven impossible.

While in the "Resiliency Phase" (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...modern-standby) all apps run in an Interactive Session are suspended but task running In Session-0 appear able to run. However, once the computer has entered DRIPS any task that relies on sleeping hardware will not succeed and on the Dell XPS, which runs in "Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected", this includes the network adaptors (both WiFi and USB connected Ethernet), so even backup tasks that I can get to run still fail due to no network connection. Waking from DRIPS on a schedule seems impossible!

Wake timers do not work on Modern Standby systems, so neither do any user created Task Scheduler tasks (even ones set to run under SYSTEM). About the only thing that will occasionally wake the system is Windows Update, but it seems there is no longer any way to schedule that. Microsoft docs say UWP apps can (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...y-wake-sources) but it seems no one has written one for this purpose.

Surely there must be a way, short of writing your own UWP app, to get a Modern Standby system to wake from DRIPS out-of-hours for housekeeping?? There don't seem to be any code snippets we can use. This just seems crazy hard!

All that needs to happen is for the software equivalent of a "power button press" or even, I think, just the computer to leave DRIPS. The tasks are waiting to run and as soon as the system wakes they should keep the system awake until they have completed.

Hopefully someone can make me look a total fool and point out something I have missed!

:)

2. t0yz Win User

Can't enable Modern Standby

You need an exclusively UEFI PC (without Legacy support) for Modern/Connected, at least it's what I've heard. I guess if that Z390 doesn't have it, I am not really expecting any consumer desktops to implement it, I assume it would require manufacturers to kinda rewrite their BIOS. It is also indirectly suggested on Anandtech that the feature depends on the onboard WiFi:

Personally I love my Ethernet cables and 1Gbit speeds, and WiFi would be the last thing I'd do to my PC, but I would like to test this feature when I buy a new PC, since Z370 is clearly out of question. Considering that Z390 basically has onboard WiFi and Z370 doesn't , it further solidifies this as a potential WiFi only feature. Maybe it's possible for the PC to switch to WiFi for Connected Standby and then back to wire after it wakes up? That would be nice.

Edit: there's also this:
    "Modern Standby is only available on some SoC systems. When it's supported, the system does not support S1-S3."

Yeah... S3 is the "normal" standby. So if your firmware manufacturer supports that, it's bye-bye Modern? Ouch.

3. Task Scheduler not compatible with Connected Standby

Just so you will know... With Windows 10 on the Surface tablets, Task Scheduler cannot wake the device to perform a task. Task Scheduler is incompatible with Connected Standby. Unbelievable...

MichaelWGilbert, May 13, 2019
  4. Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby)

Mark St..., May 13, 2019
Thema:

Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby)

1. Scheduled wake from DRIPs (Modern Standby) - Similar Threads - Scheduled wake DRIPs

2. Remote Desktop Remote Sound not working after wake up from standby

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop Remote Sound not working after wake up from standby: The remote sound from the remote desktop works fine at the beginning. But when I put the server on standby and then the server wakes up, remote sound stops working. There is no sound from either the host or the client machine. Everything looks fine on the settings side. But...
  3. Alienware 17 R4 wont wake up from sleep/standby

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Alienware 17 R4 wont wake up from sleep/standby: This issue has happened on every desktop/laptop ive owned from custom build to name brand why isnt microsoft dealing with this issue, their are 1000's of people with this concern who have this very same problem, i would want my Alienware 17 r4 to sleep then when i open the...
  4. No option for "disconnected standby" anymore on modern standby device

No option for "disconnected standby" anymore on modern standby device: I can't find any information about this, but did MS, for whatever reason, remove the toggle option on the WiFi settings to turn off WiFi during modern standby? The option isn't available anymore for my laptop. I am speaking about this option: https://i.imgur.com/jD6odQx.png...
  5. Microsoft modern keyboard not waking computer from sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft modern keyboard not waking computer from sleep: Hello, Recently purchased a Microsoft modern keyboard with finger print ID. Works great … with one exception... it won't wake the computer from sleep. Online there is lots of discussion about getting a Bluetooth device to wake PCs, but no real solutions. I've ensured...
  6. VIDEO SCHEDULER INTERNAL ERROR on wake from sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    VIDEO SCHEDULER INTERNAL ERROR on wake from sleep: New thread created as requested by Axe0 I just updated my Windows 8.1 desktop to Windows 10 Home and all is now running fine apart from this BSOD which occurs when restarting the PC from Sleep. As I use the PC as a Media Centre the ability to Sleep is important....
  7. Regular BSOD following waking computer from Standby

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Regular BSOD following waking computer from Standby: Hi, I've been getting consistent BSOD's, seemingly at random, with the only pattern being that they seem to mostly come after waking the computer from Standby mode. The BSOD's then can happen two or three times following a restart for some reason. I've attached the .zip file....
  8. Find "Wake up from sleep" Scheduled Tasks

Find "Wake up from sleep" Scheduled Tasks: Other than going through each and every task in the task scheduler, is there a way to see those that are allowed to wake the machine while it is sleeping? My PC woke up this morning at 3:30 am. It then went back to sleep about ten minutes later. I've checked all of the normal...
  9. Schedule wake up from sleep (not using task scheduler)

in Windows 10 Support
    Schedule wake up from sleep (not using task scheduler): HiI have tried using windows task scheduler to sleep and wake up at different times but it does not work. I am using a Linx 1010 tablet. Windows 10Would anyone know if there any third party app, or any other way to do this task?Many thanks 92480
  10. Cortana will soon be able to wake up your PC from standby

in Windows 10 News
    Cortana will soon be able to wake up your PC from standby: With Windows 10, Microsoft shipped a new personal digital assistant named Cortana and with help from Intel's Smart Sound technology, she will be getting a new feature: the ability to turn on your PC. A demo, which you can see below, was shown off at Intel's Developer Forum...