Windows 10: Scheduling malware scans in new Windows Security

Discus and support Scheduling malware scans in new Windows Security in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, The current Windows Security app allows me to Quick Scan, Full Scan, etc. my Windows 10 PC. I have looked across the Settings and Microsoft... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DC on Windows, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Scheduling malware scans in new Windows Security

Hello,

The current Windows Security app allows me to Quick Scan, Full Scan, etc. my Windows 10 PC. I have looked across the Settings and Microsoft Security apps but cannot find how to schedule a computer scan. The information I have found online only shows how to do this for previous versions of Windows when Windows Security had another name. I remember being able to schedule daily Quick Scans in previous versions of the app.

:)

DC on Windows, Jan 11, 2021

2. Unable to schedule windows defender scan

Scheduling a scan by adding a trigger to the Windows Defender Scheduled Scan task doesn’t work:

How do I schedule a defender scan?

It is still possible to schedule a Windows Defender scan by calling the Command Line Utility (MpCmdRun.exe) or the old Windows Defender UI (MSASCui.exe), but the rules for this could change “without notice” at any moment – as they’ve done so frequently
    in the past:

Windows Defender - How to schedule a scan?

Now these issues certainly aren’t creating any kind of crisis for Windows Defender users, because the priority for running scheduled scans with Windows Defender is actually pretty low. Defender’s real-time protection will generally find any active
    malware that Defender is capable of detecting, and will only leave inactive malware (archived malware) or inactive malware remnants for scheduled scans to pick up. So running periodic manual scans with third-party malware-removal tools is usually a more productive
    strategy – just because these apps work with different signature sets, and consequently have the potential for finding active malware that Defender simply can’t detect:

List of Malware Removal Tools

GreginMich, Jan 11, 2021
  3. how to schedule a full windows 10 security scan

Hello,

Please refer this step-by-step guide:

[How To] Schedule Windows Defender Scan In Windows 10

For full scan, use following scheduled task command or use one mentioned in article above:

"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -Scan -ScanType 2

Hope this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

Kapil Arya MVP, Jan 11, 2021
  4. Scheduling malware scans in new Windows Security

Scan schedule for Windows 10?

Windows Defender regularly scans your PC through the 'Automatic Maintenance' feature which may be setup to run at 2AM every day. You can find your machines setting in the control panel here by searching here:
    Control Panel >System and Security > Security and Maintenance > Automatic Maintenance

To manually scan your PC, use the Task Scheduler.

• Search and open Schedule tasks.
    • In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft > Windows > Windows Defender.
    • Select 'Windows Defender Scheduled Scan' and select
      'Run'

Scheduling malware scans in new Windows Security c1ab74c1-e300-4555-90ba-a82bb424d042.jpg

CJ. Eichholz [MSFT], Jan 11, 2021
Thema:

Scheduling malware scans in new Windows Security

1. Scheduling malware scans in new Windows Security - Similar Threads - Scheduling malware scans

2. Scheduling a Scan in Windows Security

in Windows 10 Customization
    Scheduling a Scan in Windows Security: I've stopped using all the outside antivirus stuff. Too much bs to put up with. I have Windows Defender firewall, and Windows Security turned on. However, I read that you can run a scheduled scan in Windows Security, but I've looked over "scan options", and I don't see where...
  3. Scheduled Scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Scheduled Scan: I want to schedule a weekly scan. But, in Task Scheduler, the choice of scheduling a scan is not present. What do i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scheduled-scan/8e1ee21d-0d90-43a0-b464-66635ed32fea
  4. do windows security quick, scans scan for malwares, ramsonwares .... etc

do windows security quick, scans scan for malwares, ramsonwares .... etc: other then scanning virus? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-windows-security-quick-scans-scan-for-malwares/e0ada0f8-a347-4edf-992b-de63ded1fc41
  5. scheduling a virus scan with Windows 10 Windows Security ex Defender

scheduling a virus scan with Windows 10 Windows Security ex Defender: I want to schedule antivirus scans in Windows 10 using Windows Securityex Defender. I used the Task Scheduler and could not find a folder for Windows Defender. I discovered that Windows Defender is now called Windows Security. I could not find that either. Windows...
  6. how to schedule a full windows 10 security scan

how to schedule a full windows 10 security scan: I want to schedule a full scan with Windows 10 security, but I don't see any option to do that: [IMG] How to do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-schedule-a-full-windows-10-security-scan/a5344ae1-69bc-45c8-b1f3-1046e429766e"
  7. Scheduling Windows Defender scans

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Scheduling Windows Defender scans: I'm not understanding how/if Windows Defender anti-virus, etc. scans operate. Does the User need to manually start a scan, from the various Scan types available in settings ? It's unclear. Can't find anywhere to examine previous Defender scans ....to see what was...
  8. Schedule Windows Defender Scan

Schedule Windows Defender Scan: Can I schedule a virus scan to run at regular times? [Original Title: Windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/schedule-windows-defender-scan/eab2c9ea-4138-4a76-80d1-e0afa89c8f10
  9. Windows Defender Scheduled Scan

Windows Defender Scheduled Scan: How do I get Windows Defender Scheduled Scan back in Task Scheduler? I go: Schedule tasks > Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Defender. I had been messing around with the scheduler trying to make it work properly. Unfortunately, in the process I...
  10. Windows Defender Scan Schedule?

Windows Defender Scan Schedule?: Don't know if this is just me or not, but: For the last month or so WD regularly hits me with the Yellow Warning Triangle to SCAN NOW. Sometimes twice a day. Sometimes days between these events. I don't know enough to be able to find the date/time of it's last scan. Not...