Windows 10: Scheduling my surface to wakeup on time fails

Discus and support Scheduling my surface to wakeup on time fails in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi I want to set an alarm in Clock app in widnows 10 even when my surface is in sleep mode. So, I have created a task in the scheduler to wakeup the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mahmoodn, Aug 1, 2020.

1. mahmoodn Win User

Scheduling my surface to wakeup on time fails

Hi

I want to set an alarm in Clock app in widnows 10 even when my surface is in sleep mode. So, I have created a task in the scheduler to wakeup the system at specific time. But it seems that the surface won't wakeup from sleep. Below you can see the task scheduler settings. I can not find any log related to "failed wakeup" in the event viewer. Where should I look for it?

Scheduling my surface to wakeup on time fails 89d7de9f-d8bd-4132-9be8-ca10b09df6c7?upload=true.png

Scheduling my surface to wakeup on time fails 9c153fe5-b728-4ea9-9237-d9724ef63a28?upload=true.png

Scheduling my surface to wakeup on time fails c7df6a76-ffde-4ddd-b35e-7132050316b7?upload=true.png

Scheduling my surface to wakeup on time fails 8a06f5cd-96ca-4ce0-b1a2-8b0e55ce91d3?upload=true.png

Scheduling my surface to wakeup on time fails ea1cffeb-359b-4978-88f7-72827411f2bf?upload=true.png

Scheduling my surface to wakeup on time fails 243d5e0b-f225-48f0-b9da-bcab5e6b7a71?upload=true.png

:)

mahmoodn, Aug 1, 2020

2. Scheduled Tasks Cannot Wakeup Surface Book

Ok, I restarted in Safe Mode, but the Task Scheduler is not available in Safe Mode, so the issue cannot be tested.

So then I did a clean boot as per those instructions, set the time for the test scheduled task (cmd.exe /c dir) for a couple minute ahead, and put the computer to sleep.

A few minutes later I woke the computer with the power button, and looking at the history for the test task confirmed it did not launch at the scheduled time and looking at the event log I confirmed the system was in connected standby before the scheduled
    time and until I pressed the power button.

I've also tried re-enabling hibernate and un-checking both settings for "stay connected to Wi-Fi while asleep".

I think a more basic question is a Surface Book with Windows 10 and all current firmware and OS updates EXPECTED to be able to have the Task Scheduler wake it from connected standby. Power profile settings (have created several new ones) do not show the
    option to "Allow wake timers" unless a registry entry is added to add that setting. I've tried that as per Power Options - Add or Remove "Allow wake timers" but there is no difference when those setting are enabled.

Does the command "powercfg /waketimers" reporting "There are no active wake times in the system." mean they aren't supported (several Scheduled Tasks are set to wake the computer)? With all kinds of people complaining about Surface Books and Surface Pro
    4's waking up to apply updates, one would assume wake from connected standby is supported.

I still wonder if it is simply that the Task Scheduler does not recognize connected standby. If someone could tell me scheduled tasks definitely wake their Surface Book from connected standby, then it would make sense to keep debugging this particular system.

Chris Sacksteder, Aug 1, 2020
  3. Scheduled Tasks Cannot Wakeup Surface Book

Update. The last few mornings (my backup task is scheduled for 4am) I see the task was started, but it fails with a lanch failure, error 2147942658. According to the system event log, the computer does not come out of connected standby at those times.

It looks like the Task Scheduler does not recognize Connected Standby as something that has to be changed in order to run the task. So I wonder if there is a command line to come out of Connected Standby that could be defined to run first in the scheduled
    task.

Chris Sacksteder, Aug 1, 2020
  4. HottoG Win User

Scheduled Tasks Cannot Wakeup Surface Book

I too have this problem, but on a Surface Pro 4. It is many months later, the Anniversary Update has installed, and I have few other problems left. But my SP4 will not wake up to run scheduled tasks. PITA.

HottoG, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Scheduling my surface to wakeup on time fails - Similar Threads - Scheduling surface wakeup

2. Pc fail to wakeup from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc fail to wakeup from sleep: The "sleep" don't work on the system.It goes to sleep but when it comes back something is wrong and the system resets and restarts normally, but I lost everything I was doing !!!I'm with windows 20h2 v2, until a few days ago it worked.How can I solve? Of course windows is...
  3. Pc fail to wakeup from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc fail to wakeup from sleep: The "sleep" don't work on the system.It goes to sleep but when it comes back something is wrong and the system resets and restarts normally, but I lost everything I was doing !!!I'm with windows 20h2 v2, until a few days ago it worked.How can I solve? Of course windows is...
  4. Pc fail to wakeup from sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Pc fail to wakeup from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Pc fail to wakeup from sleep: The "sleep" don't work on the system. It goes to sleep but when it comes back something is wrong and the system resets and restarts normally, but I lost everything I was doing !!! I'm with windows 20h2 v2, until a few days ago it worked. How can I solve? ( Of course...
  6. PDC.SYS Failed, Blue screen on wakeup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PDC.SYS Failed, Blue screen on wakeup: In recent weeks when I wake my computer up after a overnight or long period i get the blue screen with PDS.SYS failed and suggests HTTPS://Windows.com/stopcode, it then will start a count down and re start windows. I have gone to this page but don't actually see a...
  7. Task Scheduler fails to schedule Restore Point Creation

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Task Scheduler fails to schedule Restore Point Creation: I have set up the following in Task Scheduler:- [img] However it does not work! Any ideas anyone? PS: How can I enable history? 31873
  8. Task Scheduler and Synchronizing Across Time Zones fails

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler and Synchronizing Across Time Zones fails: I am in the Eastern Time Zone which observes DST. I have Tasks that must be scheduled according to time in another Time zone that does NOT observe DST. I thought that checking the “Synchronize Across Time Zones” option box would do the trick, but that hasn’t worked. The tasks...
  9. Wrong time switching to correct on wakeup

in Windows 10 Support
    Wrong time switching to correct on wakeup: When I wake my Windows 10 anniversary version from sleep, frequently (not always) the time that appears is several hours off and then without my doing anything it quickly switches to the correct time. Is this normal? Could it be an early warning about my cmos battery?...
  10. Using "Quiet Time" on MY schedule.

in Windows 10 Support
    Using "Quiet Time" on MY schedule.: On my machine, quiet time seems to turn itself on and off, at what schedule I cannot tell. However, it is NOT turning it on and off according to the 12 am to 6 am schedule as averred by Microsoft. Quiet time for my machine is a wide swath through the middle of the day, when I...