Windows 10: Scheduling System Restore Point Creation

Discus and support Scheduling System Restore Point Creation in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi Forum, I see that Win10 has deleted the function to schedule the creation of restore points! Supposedly it creates a new restore point before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Cburg, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Cburg Win User

Scheduling System Restore Point Creation

Hi Forum,
    I see that Win10 has deleted the function to schedule the creation of restore points!
    Supposedly it creates a new restore point before downloading updates (if the function is turned on; by default it is off!).
    I like to schedule the creation of points every few days or each week to prevent viruses from corrupting things.
    This feature is so important; I can't believe they have hidden it, made it less functional, and turned it off by default!
    Is there any way to run the creation button from the task scheduler or something to automatically schedule restore point creation?
    Thanks!
    Mike
    *Wink

:)

Cburg, Oct 11, 2015
  2. Tooslow Win User

Scheduling automatic creation of System Restore Points"

I am trying to get system restore points created on a schedule. I can create them manually but I'd like them to be created on a schedule. I have gone into Computer Management, System Tools, Task Scheduler, Microsoft, Windows, SystemRestore, selected properties
    and edited appropriately. It's running but failing with error code 0x0 which suggests that I'm using the wrong userid.

I have not altered the userid (SYSTEM) which is already filled in but I have had this battle before with previous versions of Windows and I remember that I do need to change the id (and maybe pw too) but I can't remember what to. I have a vague idea it was
    something like "NT User".

I'm sure it's the userid that's the problem, and the error message supports this. Does anyone have any ideas what it should be?

Oh, and Restore Points get created automatically at all of the times you would expect; on patch application, app installation or removal etc.

Thanks,

John

Tooslow, Oct 11, 2015
  3. Tooslow Win User
    Scheduling automatic creation of System Restore Points"

Hi, thanks for your interest but that didn't help.

As noted above the scheduled task is running with the "SYSTEM" account. This is what is filled in when you go to this scheduled task for the first time. If you follow the steps I described above on your own pc you will see this.

I tried the Administrator account. I had to enable it and give it a password, tried that and.... 0x0 the same as with "System" userid.

It's annoying that this doesn't "just work" but I had the same thing 6 years ago with Win 7. The solution then was (as I noted in my original post) I had to use a specific userid and pw, though this was 6 years ago so I can't remember what they were, though
    it was definitely not "Administrator".

There are all sorts of hits for overly complex solutions involving scripts and scheduled tasks but if I can't find a simple solution I'll just stick to taking the occasional manual restore point.

John

Tooslow, Oct 11, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

5. Run CMD as admin and enter:

schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SystemRestore\SR" /Enable
    vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /Maxsize=25GB
    reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SPP\Clients" /v " {09F7EDC5-294E-4180-AF6A-FB0E6A0E9513}" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "1" /f

TairikuOkami, Oct 11, 2015
  6. Cburg Win User
    Hi Tairiku,
    Thank you!
    I can discern that this would possibly enable restore, and set the file size to 25GB. Would it also schedule a restore point for each week?
    Thanks!
    Mike

Cburg, Oct 11, 2015
  7. Cburg Win User
    halasz,
    Thank you!
    The file seems to work, and I was able to set a schedule for it.
    Blessings to you!
    Mike

Cburg, Oct 11, 2015
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, noted in task scheduler I have a task set to (supposedly) create a restore point at 15:00 each day. It doesn't..
    Action = %windir%\system32\srtasks.exe ExecuteScheduledSPPCreation
    In Task Scheduler Library/Microsoft/Windows/SystemRestore in task manager.

I use the method above as per halasz.

Does anyone know anything about that entry in my task schedule? Historic leftover?

dalchina, Oct 12, 2015
  9. lx07 Win User
    That task is always there but doesn't have a scheduled frequency. It is used by Windows to make its restore points before you install software etc.

To make them on schedule you need to you the vbs from the Windows 7 tutorial or (if you want to do it less often than once a day) you could schedule powershell CheckPoint-Computer

10. dalchina New Member
    Thanks, the thing that puzzled me was that task is set to run at 15:00 every day..

(Yes, I've scheduled daily restore points thru Win 7, 8 before 10 like that or similar.. and used to do the same with registry backups)

dalchina, Oct 12, 2015
  11. lx07 Win User
    That 15:00 isn't right - must be some leftover as you say. All my systems it exits but has no schedule (including clean install of 10565 from yesterday).

If you run it manually it completes successfully but doesn't do anything (well doesn't make a restore point anyway).

12. Cburg Win User
    Hi Guys!
    So, is there a way to do this?
    Thanks!
    Mike

Cburg, Oct 16, 2015
  13. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Oct 16, 2015
  14. Ubtree Win User
    I have tried to precisely follow the instructions set out in System Restore Point : Create at System Startup - Windows 7 Help Forums, but the Task Scheduler / script is failing to create a restore point:
    • Running the script manually creates a Restore Point.
    • Task Scheduler appears to run the script, but no Restore Point results.

Scheduling System Restore Point Creation [​IMG]

(The Last Run Result code 0x41301 indicates "The task is already running".)

The Task Scheduler settings are as follows:

I would be grateful for any suggestions as to why the restore points are not being created.

Ubtree, Nov 8, 2015
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hi, not sure- not had a problem with this.
    Do you have UAC on? If so, try with it switched off.
    Does the name of your vbs script match with what is in your schedule?
    You say running the vbs manually creates a restore point - I assume you mean by d clicking the vbs file.
    Have you tried running the scheduled task manually? (Not 100% clear you have from above). (rt click scheduled task name, run)

Desperation:
    Try inserting a dummy entry in the scheduled task Action - say Wordpad.exe and try running the scheduled task manually.

dalchina, Nov 8, 2015
Thema:

1. Scheduling System Restore Point Creation - Similar Threads - Scheduling System Restore

2. How to create scheduled system restore points?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create scheduled system restore points?: No matter what I do, system restores points always disappear. Even those that happened recently.1- I want to schedule it every month and never gets deleted.I do give it all data needed... I have it set as maximum hard-drive space....
  3. How to create scheduled system restore points?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create scheduled system restore points?: No matter what I do, system restores points always disappear. Even those that happened recently.1- I want to schedule it every month and never gets deleted.I do give it all data needed... I have it set as maximum hard-drive space....
  4. How to create scheduled system restore points?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. System Restore Points Schedule

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore Points Schedule: Hi!I recently posted a question regarding a BSOD that surprisngly I can't get out of...What I found amusing after failing to restore the computer since I don't have restore points, I had a burst of questions and doubts regarding system Restore Points:What is the default...
  6. Scheduled Restore Points Not Appearing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Scheduled Restore Points Not Appearing: I found this thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scheduled-restore-points-not-appearing/c30c9f73-e074-43bf-b3ae-01995719ec49 but it´s locked. I have the same issue, but instead of following the tips, I'd like to tell you that I followed, I guess...
  7. Creating restore points on a schedule?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Creating restore points on a schedule?: Is there a way to get Win 10 to create system restore points on a schedule (e.g. once a day)? 117236
  8. Automatic Restore Point Creation

Automatic Restore Point Creation: Is there a way to get Restore Points created automatically periodically? The only ones showing in the Restore Point window are those I created manually. System Update has never created one. Thank you. 40391
  9. Scheduled Instant Restore Point - No Restore Point Created

Scheduled Instant Restore Point - No Restore Point Created: I followed the instruction to manually create a Manual Restore Point and that works fine. Then I decided to set up the task in the Task Scheduler to automatically create a restore point once daily. For some reason the task is started as it should but it never completes and I...
  10. Task Scheduler fails to schedule Restore Point Creation

Task Scheduler fails to schedule Restore Point Creation: I have set up the following in Task Scheduler:- [img] However it does not work! Any ideas anyone? PS: How can I enable history? 31873