Windows 10: Scheduling Windows Updates

Discus and support Scheduling Windows Updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Installed Windows 10 several weeks ago, and getting used to it.. slowly... but.... is there a way to prevent Windows Update from automatically... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by frustrated, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Scheduling Windows Updates

Installed Windows 10 several weeks ago, and getting used to it.. slowly... but.... is there a way to prevent Windows Update from automatically downloading all updates? I am on a metered connection for Internet (satellite), and am only allowed 10G download each month, and with Windows 7 , I was able to do any updates by doing them between Midnight and 5am which is "free time" and the data download is not included on monthly limits.. Since installing Win 10, the automatic downloads have pretty much used up my monthly allowance, and if there is not a way to change the updates to a manual process, then I think I will have to "go back to Windows 7" before I go broke trying to pay for updates that happen automatically?
    PS.. I may have found the answer to this or rather someone did for me... Thought it was in this forum, but can't find it back.. I used the Task Scheduler and set it up to "trigger" at 1am which is in the free time frame for my ISP.. took me awhile to figure out how to use it, but betting it will work.. Also set up Adobe updates to use the free time frame as well.. I will give it a week and see how it is working and will update this

:)

frustrated, Aug 12, 2015
  2. LadyDiYK Win User

Scheduling Updates

Windows 10

Do have the "change active hours" and other options as shown in your reply; however, when I go to these sites, it won't let me change anything.

Thanks

LadyDiYK, Aug 12, 2015
  3. trbogt Win User
    Scheduling Updates

Hi...what version windows are you running?

Settings> 'System'...select 'About' there will be the OS Build number

if you go into 'Updates and Security' is there an option to 'Change Active Hours' ?

Scheduling Windows Updates [​IMG]

*john

trbogt, Aug 12, 2015
  4. WhyMe Win User

Scheduling Windows Updates

Hi & welcome to the forum *Biggrin

Source: Microsoft

WhyMe, Aug 12, 2015
  5. I'll be watching the response to this thread, as I am in a similar situation to the OP.

I have a data cap of 20GB per calendar month at a maximum DL speed of 4 Mbps, and if I exceed that, I am "soft-capped" and this results in my connection downgraded to a speed of 2 Mbps until the new month kicks in.

During the hours between 20h00 and 06h00 I can use as much data as I like, without it being deducted from my monthly cap, and I would like to schedule MS updates (and also any other downloads I may need) to occur between 20h00, and 06h00.

Any recommendations for a download manager that would allow me to schedule my downloads, as well as Win 10 updates, to only begin after 20h00?

Atomcrusher, Aug 12, 2015
  6. TairikuOkami, Aug 12, 2015
  7. Looks like using "Task Scheduler" to change times of updates is the way to go... I changed Updates, adobe updates, and HP updates to all between Midnight and 4am, and looks like it is working!... Unless you are very much into computers, you may want to ask for help on how to use the Task Scheduler, because it took some time and experimenting before I figured out how to use it..

frustrated, Aug 19, 2015
  8. Harpert Win User

There are 2 options that work well:

- you let Windows decide what to download, but YOU decide when to install
    This will not decrease the volume downloaded, but will prevent these unfriendly restarts

in SETTINGS find Update & Security, goto Updates and Advanced options
    There change to: Notify to schedule Restart

- Second is more brutal
    In SERVICES.msc, right click, Microsoft Update and switch from Manual to Disabled
    This will completely disable Microsoft Update, but also the Microsoft Store *Smile

Good luck

Harpert, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Scheduling Windows Updates - Similar Threads - Scheduling Updates

2. How do I notify user about some specific software update by using window task scheduler?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I notify user about some specific software update by using window task scheduler?: I have requirement as below.1. Create task scheduler get notify over Teams or Email to the user for any upgrade/update to the specific software....
  3. How do I notify user about some specific software update by using window task scheduler?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I notify user about some specific software update by using window task scheduler?: I have requirement as below.1. Create task scheduler get notify over Teams or Email to the user for any upgrade/update to the specific software....
  4. Java Update Scheduler has stopped working, can't reinstall Java 8 Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Java Update Scheduler has stopped working, can't reinstall Java 8 Update: This happened after uninstalling java 8 update from my pc with a third party app called Geek Uninstaller, the reason i used geek uninstaller is because I wanted to fully remove java from my pc including registry files and then do a fresh reinstall, but now i can't even run...
  5. Java Update Scheduler has stopped working, can't reinstall Java 8 Update

Java Update Scheduler has stopped working, can't reinstall Java 8 Update: This happened after uninstalling java 8 update from my pc with a third party app called Geek Uninstaller, the reason i used geek uninstaller is because I wanted to fully remove java from my pc including registry files and then do a fresh reinstall, but now i can't even run...
  6. is there anyway to disable a scheduled update during off-hours?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is there anyway to disable a scheduled update during off-hours?: my computer is in my room. therefore i don't want to be woken up at 4 am in the night for an update i can't disable. i pressed the "disable updates for 1 week" button yet my computer is still turning on at 3 and 4 am to force this update; some of us have work that needs to...
  7. is there anyway to disable a scheduled update during off-hours?

is there anyway to disable a scheduled update during off-hours?: my computer is in my room. therefore i don't want to be woken up at 4 am in the night for an update i can't disable. i pressed the "disable updates for 1 week" button yet my computer is still turning on at 3 and 4 am to force this update; some of us have work that needs to...
  8. Urgently need to stop scheduled UPGRADE not update today/Friday

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Urgently need to stop scheduled UPGRADE not update today/Friday: I purchased a computer last week with Win10 and during Micro Center Store's setup it decided on its own to upgrade to windows 11without my consent... at noon today EDT-U.S.I've searched the web and all I get is instructions on how to stop/cancel windows updates... not...
  9. Urgently need to stop scheduled UPGRADE not update today/Friday

Urgently need to stop scheduled UPGRADE not update today/Friday: I purchased a computer last week with Win10 and during Micro Center Store's setup it decided on its own to upgrade to windows 11without my consent... at noon today EDT-U.S.I've searched the web and all I get is instructions on how to stop/cancel windows updates... not...
  10. Urgently need to stop scheduled UPGRADE not update today/Friday

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade