Windows 10: Scratch file system

Discus and support Scratch file system in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I use a VM to build software automatically, which generates an awful lot of I/O requests to the host machine, which both slows down the build as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SimonJRichter, May 30, 2020.

1. Scratch file system

Hi,

I use a VM to build software automatically, which generates an awful lot of I/O requests to the host machine, which both slows down the build as we are waiting on disks quite a bit, and causes competition with other VMs, which further demotes the priority the build machine gets.

Since compiling essentially takes place in a throwaway environment, I was wondering if there is a way to create a "scratch" file system that is discarded on reboot, and thus doesn't need any consistency guarantees, so it would be acceptable to keep most of the contents in RAM and only push them out to disk if memory pressure goes up.

I've tried using a ramdisk in virtual memory using ImDisk and offsetting the RAM use with a larger pagefile, but while the resulting confguration was fast, it didn't run stable, and had several hiccups where the system would become unresponsive for a few seconds, or random programs crashed.

Is there a way to set up a partition as a "scratch" file system with relaxed consistency requirements data writes are cacheable even after the program has ended and go into a low priority queue, no journalling, no ordering of requests so I can use that as the working directory for the build?

Simon

:)

SimonJRichter, May 30, 2020
  2. Toothless Win User

Scratch In Plexiglass

"This forum member found how to fix scratches in one easy step! Case makers hate him! See how!"

Toothless, May 30, 2020
  3. file system error -1073545193

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description provided, I understand that you are encountering the error message when you are trying to access any media file in the CD/DVD Drive of your computer.

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, May 30, 2020
  4. Scratch file system

Windows 10 File system errors

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this. . I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide
    you better assistance.

• Did you made any system changes prior to this issue?
    Kindly follow the below given methods and check if issue is resolved.

Method 1:

This issue may occur due to some system file corruption.
    I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

• DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Method 2:

If issue persist, I suggest you to create
    a new account by following the below given steps and check if everything works fine in new account:

• Press Windows key + X key and select
      Control Panel.
    • Click on User accounts and Family Safety.
    • Click on User Account and then click on Manage Accounts.
    • Now click on Add a new user and follow the instructions.
    Sign-out from the current User account and sign in to new User account and check.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, May 30, 2020
Thema:

Scratch file system

1. Scratch file system - Similar Threads - Scratch file system

2. Starting from scratch with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Starting from scratch with OneDrive: I'd like to have all my documents, pictures, etc on my laptop and external drive, and then select what gets backed up to OneDrive. BUT my system is currently set up to store everything on OneDrive Desktop, Documents, Pictures folders, and I can't figure out how to change...
  3. Starting from scratch with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Starting from scratch with OneDrive: I'd like to have all my documents, pictures, etc on my laptop and external drive, and then select what gets backed up to OneDrive. BUT my system is currently set up to store everything on OneDrive Desktop, Documents, Pictures folders, and I can't figure out how to change...
  4. My DVD is not working No Scratches

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My DVD is not working No Scratches: I have 2 new and blank dvd's . They had very minor scratches. I inserted one in my desktops dvd reader and when i clicked on the dvd drive on windows explorer. it had 2 options. one was use this as a usb drive and other was to use it to play videos. i clicked the first and it...
  5. My DVD is not working No Scratches

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My DVD is not working No Scratches: I have 2 new and blank dvd's . They had very minor scratches. I inserted one in my desktops dvd reader and when i clicked on the dvd drive on windows explorer. it had 2 options. one was use this as a usb drive and other was to use it to play videos. i clicked the first and it...
  6. Audio popping and scratching

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio popping and scratching: Hi all, Since building my new PC over 6 months ago, I've had terrible audio problems on any form of media e.g. Twitch, Youtube, TeamSpeak, Discord etc. I've tried most guides online with setting playback rate, trying new cables, different drivers, editing regedit. If it...
  7. Windows 10 scratch off wont scratch off and i am confused

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 scratch off wont scratch off and i am confused: My windows 10 product key cant be reached due to a pink film over the top of it, i have tried scratching it off but it wont work, i have also tried to google the issue but have found no answers. i also tried entering the 8 digit code above the film but it wont work. please...
  8. Pin Scratched Off

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Pin Scratched Off: I over scratched the pin of my Windows 10 Pro. Please, how do i go about getting the pin from Microsoft? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pin-scratched-off/57c0c906-64b4-4519-9297-7907688d754e
  9. Page file/scratch disk on faster non-OS drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Page file/scratch disk on faster non-OS drive?: Now I suspect the answer is that I will not notice any difference but I have an older 250GB 500/500 (read/write) SATA SSD as C: with Windows 10 running on it and I am getting a WD Black SN750 m.2 nvme with 1TB and approx 3000/2000 (read/write) as E:. I'd rather not reinstall...
  10. Registry from scratch

in Windows 10 Support
    Registry from scratch: Hi there guys. I've been tweaking and modifying the Windows registry for years now. Usually I use google to search for what I want, I also use programs like regshot to monitor changes to the registry as I change settings. One thing I wish to learn though is how do people...