Windows 10: Screen Background resets to picture from slideshow

Discus and support Screen Background resets to picture from slideshow in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, Like many other people I have the issue that after a restart the background slideshow resets to Picture. It is still a picture from the slideshow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Andrew Denham, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Screen Background resets to picture from slideshow

Hi,

Like many other people I have the issue that after a restart the background slideshow resets to Picture. It is still a picture from the slideshow but not what it was set to.

The lockscreen could not be changed claiming that some settings were disabled by my organisation. I am the organisation and it has not been disabled or at least not deliberately by me! Following this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1le-gXQL6-s stopped that, but the background problem remains.

I have scanned for malware, repaired the windows installation 20H2 update and tried every registry edit I have found in these pages with no luck.

Checking with GPedit in group policies Administrative templates\ Control Panel \personalisation, are all set to "not configured" which seems to be the default.

There is no option to run gpedit as administrator in this version of windows 10. Could that be the problem? cmd offers admin option as do most others.

Any help would be appreciated, since this only seems to be happening to me since the 20H2 update although there are many questions about it on the web.

I have Kaspsersky Internet security 21.16.590 c installed. Could that be the issue?

:)

Andrew Denham, Mar 13, 2021

2. Background slideshow error n screen saver settings reset to "NONE"

1) win10 V1709

2) set background (personalization==>settings) to slideshow and pointed to this folder

a) I created a folder name windows 10 wallpaper (aka wp folder) and it only has ALL .jpg files (not even alternate like jpeg, etc, just jpg)

b) there are 2 extra folders that are empty within the pictures library, called "Camera Roll" n "Saved Pictures" These come with the OS, I deleted them 3x and they "came back" on their own despite I didnt restore from rubbish bin

3) set locked screen to also slideshow

4) set screen saver to photos chose wp folder

5) Power & sleep settings==> screen = NEVER, sleep = NEVER

I have tried the workaround for my slideshow for background and locked screen, so will report back whether I am still getting "cant display slideshow" error once in a while (sometimes it decided to work, sometimes not). This is the part i dont quite understand

========================================

CASE: Set screen saver to photos and choose wp folder FIRST

1) set background, locked screen to slideshow==> screen saver reset to "NONE"

2) set background to picture, locked screen to slideshow==> screen saver reset to "NONE"

3) set background to picture, locked screen to picture==>screen saver to picture ==> works screen saver is still picture

Case: Set screen saver AFTER setting background and locked screen

1) set background, locked screen to slideshow==> background and locked screen reset to picture

2) set background to picture, locked screen to slideshow==>both reset to picture

3) set background to slideshow, locked screen to picture==>both reset to picture

* whether i set background to slideshow or locked screen to slideshow or both or one of them to slideshow, the other picture will get RESET to picture once i set screen saver to photos

======================================

million dollar question: Why system even seems to display screen saver sometimes when its set to NEVER sleep for BOTH screen and sleep settings?

and giving me the error "there is a error to display the slideshow" (or something similar)

====================================

what I have tried so far

1) creating another folder making sure its under "library" and copy ALL my wp jpg files to this new folder and set background and locked screen to use this new folder ==> FAILED. Tried 3x

2) currently i tried a trick that one user says work for him, set locked screen to picture, locked the screen, login, set the locked screen to slideshow ==> will report back whether this work or not as I dont locked my screen

YMLeong1609, Mar 13, 2021
  3. Can i have the same preview layout like window 10 slideshow lock screen on window 10 slideshow desktop background ?

Hi,

You can have the same preview layout for your lock screen and desktop background slideshow as long as the photos are saved on the same folder. To change the desktop background picture to slideshow, please follow these steps:

• Open the Settings app.
    • Click on Personalization.
    • Under Background, choose Slideshow.
    • Click on Browse, and then navigate to your slideshow folder that you have created to specify the directory.
    • Set the time interval. Under Change picture every choose your time preference of between 1 minute and 1 day.

After customizing the desktop background, you'll need to configure the lock screen slideshow settings too. Follow the steps given on this article and select the same slideshow folder:

Personalize your lock screen

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Janeane Cru, Mar 13, 2021
  4. Aqtarus Win User

Screen Background resets to picture from slideshow

you need more than one picture to show error with Lock screen Slideshow

Hi Microsoft Community,

I had this issue for years and did not find any solution: workaround with Win+L, Indexing, etc... nothing was working.

But the solution is quite simple: store the folder you want to use for the picture for your slideshow directly under the Picture Library. Check that the files are indexed, and then select this folder.

To be 100% clear

1. Open the Pictures Library (User/Pictures)
    2. Create a folder "Slideshow"
    3. Populate the folder with picture you want to use for Lock Screen
    4. Check the pictures are indexed
    5. Go to Settings/Personalization/Lock Screen
    6. Select Slideshow for Background
    7. Choose Folder "Slideshow" created in step 2
    8. remove other folders
    9. Open Advanced slideshow settings
    10. Turn "Only use pictures that fit my screen" Off
    11. Enjoy your slideshow!

Aqtarus, Mar 13, 2021
Thema:

Screen Background resets to picture from slideshow

1. Screen Background resets to picture from slideshow - Similar Threads - Screen Background resets

2. Windows 11, background keeps resetting from slideshow to a picture. How can I fix this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11, background keeps resetting from slideshow to a picture. How can I fix this?: I have a folder set to shuffle as a slideshow for my wallpaper not lock screen and it keeps resetting to an individual picture with my doing so. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-background-keeps-resetting-from/0aea0092-90fd-4a2c-a696-bbe2b7f3d488
  3. Windows 11, background keeps resetting from slideshow to a picture. How can I fix this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11, background keeps resetting from slideshow to a picture. How can I fix this?: I have a folder set to shuffle as a slideshow for my wallpaper not lock screen and it keeps resetting to an individual picture with my doing so. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-background-keeps-resetting-from/0aea0092-90fd-4a2c-a696-bbe2b7f3d488
  4. Windows 11: Desktop background keeps resetting from slideshow to a picture.

Windows 11: Desktop background keeps resetting from slideshow to a picture.: From Settings > Personalization > Background I select "Slideshow" from dropdown for "Personalize your background", I choose my picture album for a slideshow and set change to every 1 minute, and shuffle on, on battery off, fit to desktop.Close settings and my slideshow...
  5. Windows 11: Desktop background keeps resetting from slideshow to a picture.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: Desktop background keeps resetting from slideshow to a picture.: From Settings > Personalization > Background I select "Slideshow" from dropdown for "Personalize your background", I choose my picture album for a slideshow and set change to every 1 minute, and shuffle on, on battery off, fit to desktop.Close settings and my slideshow...
  6. Windows 11, background keep resetting from slideshow to a picture.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11, background keep resetting from slideshow to a picture.: I set my background in Windows 11 to a single different picture initially for both of my desktops I usually keep 2 desktops on my laptop. Then I thought I wanted to set different slideshows for both desktops, then I found out that I could not do that, so I thought of instead...
  7. Windows 11, background keep resetting from slideshow to a picture.

Windows 11, background keep resetting from slideshow to a picture.: I set my background in Windows 11 to a single different picture initially for both of my desktops I usually keep 2 desktops on my laptop. Then I thought I wanted to set different slideshows for both desktops, then I found out that I could not do that, so I thought of instead...
  8. Login screen slideshow for background

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Login screen slideshow for background: Hi all, I love the refreshing new images i get to see when i login to my windows station. But then i see the dead 20 year old picture of the woman running on the beach. Can I make my background change the same way the login screen changes. If not, why not. The computer...
  9. background slideshow changes to picture upon reboot

in Windows 10 Customization
    background slideshow changes to picture upon reboot: I have set up my background to display slideshow. There appears to be no save button on this page. Every time I reboot the computer I find the slideshow has been changed back to "picture" mode. Is there a way to stop this from resetting? 32859
  10. Background switches from Slideshow to Picture

in Windows 10 Customization
    Background switches from Slideshow to Picture: Hey Everyone, I upgraded my computer (Desktop PC) from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 RTM and while everything works good, I have an issue with my background settings. I have a folder on a local drive that has all of the pictures that I want in my slide show, and it works...