Windows 10: Screen Blank after one minute but I set it to 20

Discus and support Screen Blank after one minute but I set it to 20 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This happens on Lenovo Thinkpad W550s with Win10 Pro. I do not have Lenovo crapware on it, because I did a clean, generic install about 1.5 year ago. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by docGlenn, Apr 25, 2019.

1. docGlenn Win User

Screen Blank after one minute but I set it to 20

This happens on Lenovo Thinkpad W550s with Win10 Pro. I do not have Lenovo crapware on it, because I did a clean, generic install about 1.5 year ago. I have never had this problem on a Windows desktop with Win10Pro or a Dell laptop with Win10 Pro.
    Behavior
    After one minute of inactivity the screen goes blank. Shake the mouse and I get the lockscreen. Have to enter code to unlock.
    Settings
    I have set screensaver to None and screen timeout to 20 minutes when plugged in, 10 minutes on battery. So why does it blank after one minute?
    Solutions?
    I have tried many solutions. Sometimes it works as set for a few weeks, then reverts to one minute. Sometimes the screen goes blank after 20 minutes, but it never goes to lock screen!
    No matter what I do it always reverts in a few weeks to this one-minute blank and lock behavior.
    Currently I have set a reg key: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\InactivityTimeoutSecs. Oh, I've set it to 7200 (2 hours). BTW, I didn't set it by using regedit, I set it by using secpol.msc.

It's so exasperating. I see that many people have this problem. Where is Microsoft in all this?

:)

docGlenn, Apr 25, 2019
  2. kodex Win User

Screen goes blank after changing BIOS settings/

I don't know how long this has been happening, a few weeks at least, but whenever I change a setting in my BIOS (and save & exit), my screen goes blank and my monitor goes into standby. Any suggestions to fix this?

kodex, Apr 25, 2019
  3. I updated to windows 10, after 20 minutes it has gone to a blank screen.

I started updating to windows 10, after 20 minutes it has gone to a blank screen. I have tried restarting my pc 3 times. It has been like this for 4 hours. I launch my PC, Alienware startup screen comes up - then blank screen with cursor on it. Help?

MattH12345, Apr 25, 2019
  4. Screen Blank after one minute but I set it to 20

Blank Screen

Hi Virginia,

Conflicts with third-party software and outdated graphic drivers are common contributors to the black screen issue that you're having. To isolate the said issue, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Are you getting any error messages before getting a blank screen?
    • Are you experiencing this when using a particular app?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer settings prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you refer to this
    article
    which talks about the steps you can take to resolve blank screen errors.

We'll wait for your response and assist you accordingly.

Angela Pun, Apr 25, 2019
Thema:

Screen Blank after one minute but I set it to 20

1. Screen Blank after one minute but I set it to 20 - Similar Threads - Screen Blank minute

2. Blue Screen one minute after launch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue Screen one minute after launch: When starting Windows 11, the system service exception blue screen appears about a minute after startup. Everything works fine in safe mode.PC Ryzen 5 5600 processorRX 6600 gpuBiostar x470gta motherboardThe Windows 11 image was downloaded from the Microsoft websitedump:...
  3. Blue Screen one minute after launch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue Screen one minute after launch: When starting Windows 11, the system service exception blue screen appears about a minute after startup. Everything works fine in safe mode.PC Ryzen 5 5600 processorRX 6600 gpuBiostar x470gta motherboardThe Windows 11 image was downloaded from the Microsoft websitedump:...
  4. I set the display to turn off after one minute. After one minute the screen goes dark but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I set the display to turn off after one minute. After one minute the screen goes dark but...: I am running Windows 11 Home Edition. When I set the display to turn off after a minute the display does go dark but a second later the screen turns on again....
  5. I set the display to turn off after one minute. After one minute the screen goes dark but...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I set the display to turn off after one minute. After one minute the screen goes dark but...: I am running Windows 11 Home Edition. When I set the display to turn off after a minute the display does go dark but a second later the screen turns on again....
  6. PC crashing 20 minutes after I turn it on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC crashing 20 minutes after I turn it on: This has been happening for a while now but has gotten worse recently.After I turn on my PC it takes about 20 minutes before both my monitors freeze, the audio continues for about 10 seconds then stops. Sometimes I get a constant buzzing sound through my headphones too. I...
  7. Black screen for ~20 minutes after login

Black screen for ~20 minutes after login: I have a virtual environment where everyone logs into they physical desktop and then connects to a dedicated virtual desktop via VMware. I've already taken this to VMware support, and they say it's not their problem. With certain users on certain VM's, after they enter their...
  8. Blue screen error every 20 minutes

Blue screen error every 20 minutes: The computer crashes about every 20 minutes or so. It was working fine up until recently. I'd done a Windows update just prior to this problem, but there are no system restore points to allow me to restore prior to the update. It's an older machine 11 years, so I'm not...
  9. Notebook start screen for 20 minutes?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Notebook start screen for 20 minutes?: Since 20 min I only see the start screen where acer is standing how does the notebook go 10 days old Notebook seid 20 min in Startbildschirm?
  10. BSOD after 20 minutes

BSOD after 20 minutes: Hello, after building a new Skylake based Windows 10 64 bit machine to house my GPU with a friend (who does such things for a living) I am experiencing weird BSOD behaviour. The machine gets a BSOD after 20 minutes (irrespective of what I am doing at the moment) and...