Windows 10: Screen blinks as the Desktop Window Manager stops working

Discus and support Screen blinks as the Desktop Window Manager stops working in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; 3 or 4 times a day, or at least when I'm working on my Lenovo Edge 2-1580, the screen will blink off and back on. According to the Reliability Monitor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by muhlbacer-7B0DD6C6-0074-4, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Screen blinks as the Desktop Window Manager stops working

3 or 4 times a day, or at least when I'm working on my Lenovo Edge 2-1580, the screen will blink off and back on. According to the Reliability Monitor the Desktop Window Manager stops working when this occurs. Usually happens 2 times in a row. The issue had been occurring, so i did a factory reset, and it continued happening. I swapped to new HDD, and did factory restore with a recovery USB, and it is still occurring.

Reliability Monitor:------------------------------------

Source
    Desktop Window Manager

Summary
    Stopped working

Date
    ‎8/‎10/‎2019 6:53 PM

Status
    Report sent

Description
    Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\dwm.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: BEX64
    Application Name: dwm.exe
    Application Version: 10.0.18362.145
    Application Timestamp: 6468b8f9
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_ac46
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Offset: PCH_EF_FROM_ntdll+0x000000000009CBB4
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Data: 0000000000000008
    OS Version: 10.0.18362.2.0.0.768.101
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: ac46
    Additional Information 2: ac462b2fd07cc853b652b5104a1cf381
    Additional Information 3: 6071
    Additional Information 4: 607118aaf656852b819d7d592a28f50b

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: ae1bd28afee3b7d07e31d306a5e15444 (2175752120502932548)

----------------------------------------

Ran Sfc /scannow
    ----Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violtions

Ran dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorhealth
    ----The restore opertaion competed successfully

Ran Sfc /scannow
    ----Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violtions

:)

muhlbacer-7B0DD6C6-0074-4, Aug 15, 2019

2. desktop screen blinks

Hi Chanda,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with blinking screen after upgrade to Windows 10. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message when the screen flashes?

This issue might have occurred due to outdated/ corrupted display drivers, try the below and check if it helps.

I suggest you to try the steps mentioned in the below article by Andre Da Costa and check if you are able to access after log-in.

How to: Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows 10 Installation

Refer to the section: Blinking or Flashing desktop after log in

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 15, 2019
  3. Blinking Screen

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

Blinking screen issue is usually caused due to Video card drivers.

I suggest you to try updating the Display Adapter drivers check if it works for you.

Follow the steps to update the Display driver:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand ‘Display Adapters’.
    • Right-click on the Display Adapter listed and click on ‘Update Driver Software’.
    • Select the option to automatically search for the updated driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its updated and verify.
    Also try to access the computer manufacturer's website and download the latest display drivers for your computer and install the same.

If issue still persists, I suggest you to Uninstall and reinstall the Display driver and check if it works for you.
    Refer to the steps below:

Follow the steps to uninstall the Display driver:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand ‘Display Adapters’.
    • Right-click on the Display Adapter listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.
    • Select the option to Delete driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its uninstalled.
    Also try to access the computer manufacturer's website and download the latest display drivers for your computer and install the same.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Aug 15, 2019
  4. Screen blinks as the Desktop Window Manager stops working

Need to stop blinking start screen

Not very helpful.

I installed Windows 10 - seemed to go fine - Windows 10 initial screen and sign on page worked fine - after signing in get what appears to be my old Windows 8.1 start screen that blinks on and off - Suggestions to go to Device Manager or Start Menu or some
    other place are not useful as cursor and screen blink and do not let me go anywhere else.

Curiously though, hitting F1 does bring up Edge which works fine.

Frustrated in MDZD, Aug 15, 2019
Thema:

Screen blinks as the Desktop Window Manager stops working

1. Screen blinks as the Desktop Window Manager stops working - Similar Threads - Screen blinks Desktop

2. desktop windows manager stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop windows manager stopped working: hi, i have an issuefor this past week while i play a game, a few minutes into the game my monitor would go black but i could still hear the sound and the pc is irresponsive. the fan gets loud and i have to force shut down my pc. i check the reliability history and it would...
  3. desktop windows manager stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    desktop windows manager stopped working: hi, i have an issuefor this past week while i play a game, a few minutes into the game my monitor would go black but i could still hear the sound and the pc is irresponsive. the fan gets loud and i have to force shut down my pc. i check the reliability history and it would...
  4. desktop windows manager stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows desktop manager has stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows desktop manager has stopped working: Hello, I keep getting an error where it says windows desktop manager has stopped working and my whole pc freezes and I have to restart my pc. This only happens when playing rocket league and it's random. I'm confident it isn't rocket league itself as I've reinstalled it...
  6. Windows desktop manager has stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows desktop manager has stopped working: Hello, I keep getting an error where it says windows desktop manager has stopped working and my whole pc freezes and I have to restart my pc. This only happens when playing rocket league and it's random. I'm confident it isn't rocket league itself as I've reinstalled it...
  7. desktop windows manager stopped working

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop windows manager stopped working: I always get the same error then the pc force a restart, and sometimes after i switch on the pc from sleep, every thing is black except for the taskbar.its DWM stopped working followed by the hardware errors.its been going on for a while and not sure how to fix it.help is...
  8. Desktop Window Manager Stopped Working, Resulting in black screen crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Window Manager Stopped Working, Resulting in black screen crash: Windows has been consistently crashing while playing Hunt Showdown. Every time this occurs Reliability Monitor has shown "Desktop Window Manager Stopped Working" Today I reset windows downloaded from the cloud including removing all personal files. This was suggested by...
  9. Desktop Window Manager Stopped working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop Window Manager Stopped working.: When i was playing one of my game minecraft all of the sudden my video would stop and my fans would rev up and id be forced to hard restart my PC.When i checked reliability history i found loads of critical events saying Desktop Window Manager Stopped working with these...
  10. Desktop Windows Manager stopped working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Windows Manager stopped working: What is this & what does it do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-windows-manager-stopped-working/a8aba03a-b98f-4100-b417-972b5861a2eb

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dwm.exe monitor blinking