Windows 10: Screen brightness rapidly changes when watching video

Discus and support Screen brightness rapidly changes when watching video in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi there, CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 64GB DDR4 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 driver 442.19, feeding 2 monitors... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by samf88, Feb 18, 2020.

1. samf88 Win User

Screen brightness rapidly changes when watching video

Hi there,

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master

RAM: 64GB DDR4

GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 driver 442.19, feeding 2 monitors with DP1.2 compliant cables

Monitors: 2x ASUS PB238Q both running at 1920x1080 60hz, SDR colour depth 24-bit, 8bpc output colour depth, RGB and full dynamic range

OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit - Fully Updated as of 2020-02-18

I've just set up Windows 10 Pro on a new desktop build and it's driving me absolutely crazy by rapidly changing the screen brightness when playing video. I'm not even 100% sure Windows is the problem as everything is new on this system. It happens in Plex for Windows, PowerDVD and YouTube on Chrome so I know the software isn't the issue. I'm told by an Nvidia expert that my GPU can't be the cause of this specific issue, but I am not ruling it out completely. The problem seems to occur completely randomly when watching video in any of these applications. As I have a dual monitor setup, the brightness only changes on the screen playing the video. It affects UI of the application, subtitles, etc rather than just the video.

Most of the help sites out there including on this community just say to turn off Adaptive Brightness in the Power options... except that option isn't present for me, so I can't disable it. I also tried running "net stop SensrSvc" to stop the sensor service, but I was told that it wasn't running in the first place.

I am on a custom built desktop machine and AFAIK have not installed any kind of light sensor.

Multiple reboots haven't solved the problem.

The monitors are not new - they were part of my previous Windows 8.1 build and worked perfectly then.

I can't find anything related to this issue in all of the Windows settings, so I'm assuming it's either hidden away or is related to something else. I am really hoping somebody knows exactly the problem I am describing and can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

:)

samf88, Feb 18, 2020

2. screen brightness on windows 10

Hi,

Some computers can let Windows automatically adjust screen brightness based on the current lighting conditions.

To manually adjust the screen brightness, we suggest following these troubleshooting steps:

• Click Start, then select Settings.
    • Choose System, then select Display.
    • Under Brightness and color, move the Change brightness slider to adjust the brightness.

Feel free to post back if you have other concern.

Gerard Qui, Feb 18, 2020
  3. Unable to Change Screen Brightness of Laptop

So I'm not sure how long this has been happening but for some reason, I can't change the brightness on my laptop screen. I have linked a picture and as you can see, my brightness says 0% and that I can't change it, however my actual brightness is at 100%. I have looked around everywhere and the only responses I have found don't work for me. Here's a list of everything I have tried:
    - Reinstalling Display Drivers
    - Rolling Back Display Drivers
    - Reset Settings on UWT4
    - Power and Battery Settings
    (UWT4 or Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 is a customizer for Windows 10 and I thought that might be the problem but it wasn't)

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this, it's greatly appreciated! Thanks! -

FrostyTigerXP, Feb 18, 2020
  4. ICG01 Win User

Change screen brightness

My laptop screen is dull. Need to make it brighter. However the suggestion --> Start - Settings - System - Brightness and color

does not work. It is already set to max. brightness but there is no reaction. Screen remains dull. By the way there is no change if I move slide to minimum brightness, it would not change brightness level at all. Any suggestion?

ICG01, Feb 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Screen brightness rapidly changes when watching video - Similar Threads - Screen brightness rapidly

2. Television Monitor changes when watching videos.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Television Monitor changes when watching videos.: I recently started using a television as a monitor for my computer, and found out that I couldn't fullscreen videos I had downloaded, or else it would change resolution (?). However, with other applications, it wasn't a problem, so I ignored it. Until today when I updated my...
  3. Weird screen glitching when watching videos

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Weird screen glitching when watching videos: My laptop has been acting very weird for a long time, and I have been unable to find a solution. Whenever I watch a video on for example Youtube, the screen will randomly start glitching out. This can happen after a minute or an hour of watch time. As soon as it starts...
  4. Green screen when watching a video

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Green screen when watching a video: Hello, it must have been 2 months since I have empty green screens that appear randomly when I watch videos, whether on youtube, twich or netflix. However, I do not know that it comes from windows or the graphics card. There are several errors that appear at the time of the...
  5. Windows 10 automatically adjusting laptop screen brightness when watching full screen video

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 automatically adjusting laptop screen brightness when watching full screen video: This is an issue I've only encountered in the last couple of days, I can only assume it's the result of a recent Windows update. It also only appears to relate specifically to the use of VLC media player, it doesn't appear to happen when Netflix/YouTube/Amazon are in full...
  6. Screen automatically dims when watching videos

Screen automatically dims when watching videos: I have a Dell, and the screen dims depending on the colors on my screen. Example... I open a website whose home screen is dark colors, and my entire screen dims. I've tried to turn off night light, adaptive brightness... Nothing works. I want it off so I don't have to keep...
  7. Screen tearing on Desktop and when watching videos

Screen tearing on Desktop and when watching videos: Hey guys hoping somebody can help with this issue. Basically when playing pc games i have no issues but when i watch any form of video on my pc (youtube,netflix,mpc-hc player) i get screen tearing, also when i try to scroll document in win10. Im trying to think of the best...
  8. Screen tearing Desktop and when watching videos.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Screen tearing Desktop and when watching videos.: Hey guys hoping somebody can help with this issue. Basically when playing pc games i have no issues but when i watch any form of video on my pc (youtube,netflix,mpc-hc player) i get screen tearing, also when i try to scroll document in win10. Im trying to think of the best...
  9. Screen tearing Desktop and when watching videos...

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen tearing Desktop and when watching videos...: Hey guys hoping somebody can help with this issue. Basically when playing pc games i have no issues but when i watch any form of video on my pc (youtube,netflix,mpc-hc player) i get screen tearing, also when i try to scroll document in win10. Im trying to think of the best...
  10. Screen tearing Desktop and when watching videos

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen tearing Desktop and when watching videos: Hey guys hoping somebody can help with this issue. Basically when playing pc games i have no issues but when i watch any form of video on my pc (youtube,netflix,mpc-hc player) i get screen tearing, also when i try to scroll document in win10. Im trying to think of the best...