Windows 10: Screen cuts to black and crashes shortly after turning on computer

Discus and support Screen cuts to black and crashes shortly after turning on computer in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I built my computer almost 3 years ago, and i’ve had on and off problems with it. However, this problem is unignorable and I think it might be time to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Aidan Rahill, Jan 16, 2023.

1. Screen cuts to black and crashes shortly after turning on computer

I built my computer almost 3 years ago, and i’ve had on and off problems with it. However, this problem is unignorable and I think it might be time to switch something in my computer, but i’m not sure what. The two parts of interest are my power supply and my rx 580, which recently started whining. I didn’t think much of it, until the computer recently started crashing when the GPU was under load. i was able to play simpler games with no problems, but any game that was even a little intensive would make my computer cut to black without a bluescreen, and then restart. sometimes, it would get st

:)

Aidan Rahill, Jan 16, 2023

2. at random, monitor turns black and computer crashes

At seemingly random moments, my monitor will suddenly turn black, and then my computer will crash and automatically restart. Sometimes I will hear audio from programs when the screen turns black, other times the speakers will make a buzzing noise. Sometimes my PC will go a few days without crashing; other times my PC will crash multiple times in an hour.

Interestingly, these crashes never happen when while playing video games. They always seem to happen shortly after I close the video game, or while I surf the web. This leads me to believe that the problem is software, not hardware, related, but I don't know what.

So far I have (to no avail):

• Reset my PC
    • Reinstalled GPU drivers
    • Windows Memory Diagnostic Test - No problems with memory
    • Checked GPU and CPU temperatures -- They are good, as expected. again my PC hasn't crashed while gaming
    • Updated CPU drivers
    I've also checked windows event viewer; seconds before the crash I always get an 'event id 28 kernel event tracing' error, but I am not sure what to make of this.

I have a Dell G5 5000 (2 years old, problem manifested itself a few months ago)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400F CPU @ 2.90GHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Super

Memory: 2 x 8 GB

Any troubleshooting suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

redminotaur, Jan 16, 2023
  3. Ryan Fra Win User
    Endless black screen without anything but it is on

Hi Basim,

There are several reasons why the screen turns black only. It can be an issue with the software or hardware. Please answer the following questions:

• Are there any major changes made on your computer before the issue started?
    • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps to fix the issue?

For now, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps from this
    link

We are looking forward to your reply.

Ryan Fra, Jan 16, 2023
  4. Screen cuts to black and crashes shortly after turning on computer

Black screen after turning on computer cant log in

Hi Charlie,

I realize that you get a black screen after turning on the computer. I will try to help you with this issue.

• Did you make any changes to the PC after which you are getting a black screen?

The black screen issue could be related to display drivers and might get resolved by updating the display drivers. Without the correct driver, the hardware or device that you want to use won't work properly.

Suggest you to refer to the reply posted by “Sharath Srinivasa” from this thread to check if that helps.

Redirecting

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Jan 16, 2023
Thema:

Screen cuts to black and crashes shortly after turning on computer

1. Screen cuts to black and crashes shortly after turning on computer - Similar Threads - Screen cuts black

2. Screen cuts to black and crashes shortly after turning on computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen cuts to black and crashes shortly after turning on computer: I built my computer almost 3 years ago, and i’ve had on and off problems with it. However, this problem is unignorable and I think it might be time to switch something in my computer, but i’m not sure what. The two parts of interest are my power supply and my rx 580, which...
  3. Screen cuts to black and crashes shortly after turning on computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen cuts to black and crashes shortly after turning on computer: I built my computer almost 3 years ago, and i’ve had on and off problems with it. However, this problem is unignorable and I think it might be time to switch something in my computer, but i’m not sure what. The two parts of interest are my power supply and my rx 580, which...
  4. My computer screen turns black & pc crashes

My computer screen turns black & pc crashes: When working with files on 2 usb scandisk storage devices after a while my pc crashes with a black screen. This started last week. Both devices are plugged into the back ports. I end up shutting the pc off. I'm using Win 10. What is wrong?...
  5. My computer screen turns black & pc crashes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computer screen turns black & pc crashes: When working with files on 2 usb scandisk storage devices after a while my pc crashes with a black screen. This started last week. Both devices are plugged into the back ports. I end up shutting the pc off. I'm using Win 10. What is wrong?...
  6. My computer screen turns black & pc crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. short cuts

short cuts: how do I pin my Microsoft solitaire collection to the desk top? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/short-cuts/bb40b136-3492-4d47-bb30-8431e5f9e4fa
  8. short cuts

in Windows 10 Customization
    short cuts: how to I create a shortcut to a website to be on my desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/short-cuts/a39d462f-e37b-444b-b076-70b9ed8ea327
  9. short cut

in Windows 10 Customization
    short cut: How do I send a www. page to my desk top as a short cut? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/short-cut/05c0d458-2e3e-4e26-b63a-755442b5dd34
  10. Screen turns off shortly after turn on.

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen turns off shortly after turn on.: I have installed the Fall Creator's update that some how upset my printer settings but that is sorted. However I now find that when I turn on the computer the sign in screen appears but unless I log in within a few minutes the screen turns off. This is since the update so...