Windows 10: Screen dims when playing games in Windows 10

Discus and support Screen dims when playing games in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Playing games on a computer forms a big part of the reason why people invest substantial sums of money into buying one. There are dedicated gaming PCs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Jun 5, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Screen dims when playing games in Windows 10

Playing games on a computer forms a big part of the reason why people invest substantial sums of money into buying one. There are dedicated gaming PCs & laptops and people building their own desktop setups with specific configurations to be able to enjoy their favorite games to the fullest.

There have been several instances of users reporting that their screens dim down while playing games on Windows 10. If you, too, are among those who have encountered this problem, then this article is for you. Today, we will discuss what may cause this problem to occur and how it can be resolved.

What causes the screen to dim while playing games in Windows 10?

There are several factors that can cause your monitor’s brightness to lower down during gameplay in Windows 10 like default-enabled auto-dimming settings, your power saver settings – or it could be a damaged GPU. Certain monitors have a pre-enabled auto-dimming feature in them, which adjusts the brightness of the monitors based on the surrounding lights and the environment in which the desktop is situated.

On similar lines to this monitor feature, are Windows 10’s brightness adjustment settings. Much like the brightness adjustments in a monitor, these too seek to adjust your screen’s brightness so as to allow you a convenient and strain-free viewing experience. Think of these features like the ones we get to see in almost all smartphones these days.

Another reason behind these screen dimming issues can be the power-saving settings that you have enabled on your PC. Most power-saving involves automatic deduction in a monitor’s brightness levels so as to make the battery backup last for long. This too, thankfully, can be easily reverted back. Other relevant factors are your graphic card’s configurations and probable outdated Windows 10 drivers. All these issues have been looked into and solved in the workarounds we will be discussing below.

Fix Screen dims when playing games on PC

If your screen to dim while playing games in Windows 10, try the following suggestions:

1. Disable Adaptive Brightness
    2. Check Windows Driver updates
    3. Rollback or Reinstall your Display driver
    4. Disable Night light mode and Game Bar.
    1] Disable Adaptive Brightness

Screen dims when playing games in Windows 10 Enable-adaptive-brightness.png

If your power-saving settings are really at play here, what you can do is disable the adaptive brightness feature from the Control Panel. Here is how you can do that:

Open your Control Panel and visit the Power options. In order to find the Power options easily, make sure that you have the options viewing setting enabled to Large Icons.

Then, click on Change plan settings and further head over to Change advance settings. From the list of options that come under the umbrella of advanced settings, look for Enable Adaptive Brightness.

Select that option and toggle it off to make sure your PC doesn’t make automatically adjust your monitor’s brightness to adjust it with the surroundings.

Read: Why does laptop display dim automatically?

2] Install pending Windows driver updates

Screen dims when playing games in Windows 10 Optional-Update-Windows-10.jpg

It is a very likely possibility for outdated and incompatible drivers to cause this error. Drivers that haven’t been updated can cause all kinds of issues, including the one under discussion here. What is key here is that you have all the latest, up-to-date drivers for your display installed, since our issue directly stems from that.

There are a couple of ways for you to check for and eventually download the latest driver updates. One is via the Windows Optional & Driver Updates and, second, through the Device Manager.

Open your Windows settings by pressing the Windows + ‘I’ key combination or searching for them from the start menu. Select Updates and Security and from the Windows Updates option on the left, you can check if there are any driver updates available for your computer.

To accomplish the same task via the Device Manager, you just have to search for the Device Manager in the Start Menu. Here, look for Network adapters and double-tap on it. Now, verify your relevant display adapter.

Right-click on that display adapter and click on ‘Update Driver‘. You will then be asked where the updated driver is to be searched for, followed by a couple more steps.

Just follow through, reboot your PC and check if the screen continues to dim while playing games. You may not be able to successfully download the relevant drivers from here, in which case you will have to do so by visiting your computer manufacturer’s website.

Read: Windows 10 Brightness Control not working or changes automatically.

3] Rollback or Reinstall your Display driver

Sometimes, while installing a Windows driver update, the download can get corrupted. This may lead to issues such as a dimmed screen while playing games. In this case, what you should do is uninstall and then download the latest driver for your display adapter.

You may not have to uninstall it if your display adapter allows you to roll back the driver. In order to check if it does, follow the steps below:

Open the Device Manager and click on the Display adapters. Then, right-click on the current display adapter and select Properties.

Screen dims when playing games in Windows 10 display-adapter-properties.png

From the tabs available on the top, click on Driver and click on Roll Back Driver if the option isn’t greyed out.

Screen dims when playing games in Windows 10 roll-back-driver.png

In case it is greyed out, click on the same Display adapter that you have running on your system and uninstall it.

Screen dims when playing games in Windows 10 uninstall-driver.png

Now, visit the device manufacturer’s website and install the latest driver compatible with youDisplayr system’s build.

Read: Windows computer screen brightness flickering or flashing.

4] Disable Night light mode and Game Bar

Folks have reported that disabling Night light mode and Game Bar has helped them. Try it and see.

Open your Windows settings and select System. From the Display settings, toggle the Night Light option off if you have it enabled.

Screen dims when playing games in Windows 10 disable-night-light.png

Similarly, in order to turn Game Bar off, visit the settings homepage and select Gaming.

From there, in Xbox Game Bar, you’ll see the option to disable it upfront. Toggle it off, close settings, and check if the issue has been resolved.

Screen dims when playing games in Windows 10 disable-game-bar.png

These are some of the measures you can take if you ever find yourself in a scenario where your Windows 10 computer’s screen dims while playing games.

We hope that one of these solutions was able to fix your issue.

Screen dims when playing games in Windows 10 disable-night-light.png
    This article Screen dims when playing games in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Jun 5, 2021
  2. Miles_R Win User

Screen Dimming While Playing Full-Screen Games - How do I stop this?

So about a month ago, I was playing the game Undertale in full-screen, and I think I accidentally hit some random hotkey that dimmed my screen when any game is in full-screen mode. I've searched everywhere but cannot find a solution to this. I am now playing
    Starcraft 2, and it is also dim when playing in full-screen. When other things like my browser are in full-screen (f11), the screen does not dim.

Can someone please help?

Miles_R, Jun 5, 2021
  3. Unable to play video games on Windows 10, black screen after log-in screen

Hi Natasha,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the Windows 10 operating system, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• From where are you trying to play the video games (downloaded/ from website)?
    • If you are playing games from website which browser are you using?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message when the game crashes?
    • Are you able log-in to your computer?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ outdated display drivers.

As you see black screen while logging to the desktop, I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article about this issue, try the troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Also, I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 5, 2021
  4. Screen dims when playing games in Windows 10

Dim screen Win 10?

Have read the blogs. Windows 10 needs to make it EASY for people to dim their screen. This is my 3rd Toshiba laptop and it was easy to adjust the screen on all 3 including this one, until windows 10. Will buy a new laptop without Win 10 before I'll go
    through all the steps to dim screen in win 10 that is listed in the blogs I've read. I did stall an APP that helped but screen still hurts my eyes and creates a headache. Anybody have an EASY answer. It was so easy to work with DOS and windows 3.1. It's been
    a pain for a lot of people ever since they came up with the REGISTRY. Thanks people.

RandyFilion, Jun 5, 2021
Thema:

Screen dims when playing games in Windows 10

1. Screen dims when playing games in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Screen dims playing

2. Blue Screening when playing games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue Screening when playing games: I've been crashing when playing any kind of game that stresses the computer but my specs arent bad, but it started happening after we switched some pc parts, but none of the parts seem bad but i keep getting various blue screens some mentioning kmode exception not handled and...
  3. Fix Screen Dims when playing Games on full screen on Windows PC

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Screen Dims when playing Games on full screen on Windows PC: [ATTACH]While playing your favorite games on Windows 11/10 PC, do your screen dim or get darker? Well, it’s not only you who is annoyed by this issue. At times, when playing games on full screen, the screen may start looking a lot darker or than you need, and you will have...
  4. Monitor screen dims & goes dark when playing full-screen games on PC

in Windows 10 News
    Monitor screen dims & goes dark when playing full-screen games on PC: [ATTACH]If you notice that your monitor screen dims & goes dark when playing full-screen games in full-screen on your Windows 11 or Windows 10 gaming rig, then this post is intended for you. In this post, we will identify the potential causes, as well as the most suitable...
  5. why is the brightness dimming when i try to play a video game?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    why is the brightness dimming when i try to play a video game?: the screen brightness dims when i try to play a game off of steam on my macbook air. i try to turn it up but it says the brightness is already at max though. anyone got any fixes? submitted by /u/NPCgod [link] [comments]...
  6. Screen Dims when in full screen

Screen Dims when in full screen: For the past 3-4 months my screen randomly started dimming when I go fullscreen in various applications. I originally thought it was an Overwatch problem, but it has also happened in zoom whenever someone screenshares. I have tried everything I have found online, messed with...
  7. Screen dims when no charging

Screen dims when no charging: When my laptop is not charging the screen dims a lot, and the only way to get it to be brights again is to plug it in. submitted by /u/ext-meticulous [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ikaywz/screen_dims_when_no_charging/
  8. Brightness dims in full screen of game when plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Brightness dims in full screen of game when plugged in: I have looked for all of the solutions and none of them worked for me. Some i didnt even have the option available. Im using an alienware laptop windows 10. I have looked for adaptive brightness in settings everywhere but it doesnt exist on my machine. Im not sure how to stop...
  9. Screen Tearing When Playing Games on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Tearing When Playing Games on Windows 10: I'm having this problem for some time (Some 2 years trying to fix this) I started having this problem after I reinstalled Windows 10 (because of virus and to clean the computer) Well, this problem only happens in games, or when something is full screen, this is really...
  10. Screen Dimming While Playing Full-Screen Games - How do I stop this?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen Dimming While Playing Full-Screen Games - How do I stop this?: So about a month ago, I was playing the game Undertale in full-screen, and I think I accidentally hit some random hotkey that dimmed my screen when any game is in full-screen mode. I've searched everywhere but cannot find a solution to this. I am now playing Starcraft 2, and...