Windows 10: screen displays "lock screen" and shuts down

Discus and support screen displays "lock screen" and shuts down in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My laptop using Windows 10 has suddenly encountered two problems: The screen will display "lock screen" for 1 or 2 seconds and shut down. This is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by radunit, Jan 3, 2021.

1. radunit Win User

screen displays "lock screen" and shuts down

My laptop using Windows 10 has suddenly encountered two problems: The screen will display "lock screen" for 1 or 2 seconds and shut down. This is seemingly random, as it doesn't appear associated with any particular website. The timing is also random, sometimes occurring shortly after I logon and other times after I've been on for some time. After it shuts down, I have no problems booting it back up and logging in.

At the same time that this started, I started having issues with closing open programs whether online or offline. I can open them and use them with no trouble, but they won't close. I've tried closing them with mouse, touchpad, and by right-clicking on icon and clicking on 'close program'. The only way I can close open programs is by using alt/control/delete and end task on task manager. This is also random, as sometimes everything works normally and other times nothing will close.

These problems began concurrently sometime in late December, between Christmas and New Year's Day; I noticed Windows 10 updated sometime in that period. Any suggestions?

:)

radunit, Jan 3, 2021

2. Ads displayed in Lock Screen

Hi Subhadeep,

Windows Spotlight is an option for the lock screen background that displays different background images and occasionally offers suggestions on the lock screen.
    To turn off Windows Spotlight, go to Settings, clickPersonalization,
    select Lock screen, under Background select a different lock screen background.

To avoid messages on your lock screen, you can consider the following:

• Make sure that the "Get fun facts, etc" on your Settings is turned off.
    • Disable “suggestions” that appear as notifications. To do so, follow these steps go to
      Settings, then select System, then click
      Notifications & actions
      and turnoff “Show me the Windows welcome experience after updates and occasionally when I sign in to highlight what’s new and
      suggested”.
    • Disable “tips, tricks, and suggestions”. Head to Settings then select
      System, then click Notifications & Actions and disable the “Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows” option.

Don't hesitate to reply on this thread if further assistance is needed.

Darleen Pen, Jan 3, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Lock Screen keeps changing

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Windows Spotlight picks the photos from Bing and displays them in the lock screen. I understand that you have set a picture and it is getting changed automatically.

I suggest you to follow the steps to select the Picture that you want to be displayed on the lock screen. Please follow the steps mentioned below to set a Picture to lock screen:

1. Press and hold Windows + I key on the keyboard to open settings.
    2. Click on Personalization.
    3. Click on Lock screen.
    4. Click on the drop down under Background and select
      Picture.
    5. Click on Browse and select the picture that you want to set.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 3, 2021
  4. screen displays "lock screen" and shuts down

Lock vs Login screen screenshot

You can use your own image of any background and just go to settings/personalize/lock screen and click on browse as in the image below. It should make whatever picture you use as the Lock Screen

screen displays "lock screen" and shuts down [​IMG]

Josey Wales, Jan 3, 2021
Thema:

screen displays "lock screen" and shuts down

1. screen displays "lock screen" and shuts down - Similar Threads - screen displays lock

2. Shut down option Not working. It's locking the screen instead.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shut down option Not working. It's locking the screen instead.: Hi everyone. I recently upgraded to Windows 11 not activated for now and when I try to shut the system down it just takes me to the lock screen. I have tried different methods that exist to shut down the system through GUI but every method just takes me to the lock screen...
  3. Shut down option Not working. It's locking the screen instead.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shut down option Not working. It's locking the screen instead.: Hi everyone. I recently upgraded to Windows 11 not activated for now and when I try to shut the system down it just takes me to the lock screen. I have tried different methods that exist to shut down the system through GUI but every method just takes me to the lock screen...
  4. Computer shuts down after entering the lock screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer shuts down after entering the lock screen: My new build is consistently shutting down after the computer locks. I am running Windows 10 Home version 21H1. I suspect that the computer is shutting down when the PC attempts to sleep or hibernate, however, it appears to do this before the PC should be entering sleep mode...
  5. My Screen Says Locking and Shuts down..

My Screen Says Locking and Shuts down..: There is a big issue..Whenever i am watching any video or doing a class..My laptop automaticaly shuts down with a screen which states locking...Its a huge issue...And sometimes there comes a warning of overheating..but thats fixed now...still it comes...I had repaired it like...
  6. Screen showing "Locking" message then automatically shuts down.

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen showing "Locking" message then automatically shuts down.: Hi, I am face with this problem. When my laptop is switched on. Then after a certain usage time, the screen flashing the word " Locking", then it immediately and automatically shuts down. I have to restart my laptop again. I am using a Lenovo laptop with WIndows 10. I read...
  7. Suddenly laptop get shut down by showing LOCKING on screen and its shut down

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Suddenly laptop get shut down by showing LOCKING on screen and its shut down: My laptop get automatic update for window recently in July 2020 its update 4 time but after one of its update my laptop get shut down automatically after showing LOCKING message on screen, i tried so many time to resolve by setting in PCI Express i switch them off but still...
  8. shut down screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    shut down screen: When my computer shuts down a screen sometimes appears either with some form of error message or that an app has not closed. The screen closes so fast I am not able to completely read the message. I tried, but I can't find a way to stop or pause the screen to be able to...
  9. Screen says 'Locking', shuts down and it will not startup now

Screen says 'Locking', shuts down and it will not startup now: My wife is using an ASUS laptop, having recently upgrading to the latest windows 10 a week or so ago. She was using Skype for a business call when it came up with a message says that for security reasons, Skype was going to be shutdown. Skype shut itself down and the laptop...
  10. Lock screen is shutting down my apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lock screen is shutting down my apps: Hi there, When I lock my laptop to go and do something elsewhere, it shuts down the apps that were running at the time. This is something that has just started happening. The two apps to which this has happened are Outlook 2013 & Virtual Weather Station. Please, can...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. desktop deplays locking and turning off