Windows 10: Screen does not stay off after sleep mode activates

Discus and support Screen does not stay off after sleep mode activates in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Recently my computer has no longer been shutting off it's screen when it has been inactive for a while. Which is to say, when I leave it running but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Mark the Magnificent, May 2, 2020.

1. Screen does not stay off after sleep mode activates

Recently my computer has no longer been shutting off it's screen when it has been inactive for a while. Which is to say, when I leave it running but idle with a few applications open - none of which have prevented the screen from shutting off in the past - the screen no longer shuts off after a period of time, but instead will shut off for a second to two and then immediately come back on.

At the moment I have my power and sleep settings set to turn off the screen after 1 minute and for sleep to begin after 4 hours. It takes considerably longer than a minute for the screen off to happen, and the screen comes back on again after less than two seconds. powercfg is giving me no answers:

How do I restore the ability of windows to shut off the screen after a period of inactivity?

```

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -lastwake
    Wake History Count - 0

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -requests
    DISPLAY:
    None.

SYSTEM:
    None.

AWAYMODE:
    None.

EXECUTION:
    None.

PERFBOOST:
    None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
    None.
    ```

:)

Mark the Magnificent, May 2, 2020

2. Laptop Screen Stays Black after Sleep Mode

Hi Danielle,

Improper power plan settings or a possible fault on the display driver after the recent update can cause your screen to stay black when waking from sleep mode. As an initial step to prevent this from happening, we suggest that you restore the power plan
    settings to default. To do this, follow these steps:

• Type Command Prompt in the search box. From the search result, right-click on
      Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
    • Copy and paste or type in the command below:

powercfg -restoredefaultschemes
    • Press Enter and wait for the command to finish.

Note:
      This option will delete all custom power plans and restore the built in power plan settings of your device.

In the event that you encounter the same issue after restoring the power plan settings, ensure that your device display driver is updated. You can follow the steps provided on this

link
    on how to update your drivers and check if the issue persists.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, May 2, 2020
  3. Win 10 - constantly shutting down into sleep mode every 64 minutes even when in active use!

Hi Steve,

• Did you check by setting sleep mode option to never?

If not, I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System>Power & sleep.
    • In the right pane, select Never from the drop down list for
      Screen
      and Sleep.
    • Close the dialog box and check for status.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

ThofikhAhamad, May 2, 2020
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Screen does not stay off after sleep mode activates

Laptop screen stays off after sleep.

Hi David,

Conflicts with the power plan settings or a corrupted display driver can cause your screen to stay black when waking from sleep mode. As an initial step to prevent this from happening, we suggest that you restore the power plan settings to default. To do
    this, follow these steps:

• Type Command Prompt in the search box. From the search result, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
    • Copy and paste or type in the command below:

powercfg -restoredefaultschemes
    • Press Enter and wait for the command to finish.

Note: This option will delete all custom power plans and restore the built in power plan settings of your device.

In the event that you encounter the same issue after restoring the power plan settings, ensure that your device display driver is updated. You can follow the steps provided on this

link
    on how to update your drivers and check if the issue persists.

We'll appreciate if you can update us with the results.

Eric Ber, May 2, 2020
Thema:

Screen does not stay off after sleep mode activates

1. Screen does not stay off after sleep mode activates - Similar Threads - Screen does stay

2. Windows 10 does not stay in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 does not stay in sleep mode: My laptop does not stay in sleep mode. By pressing the power button, The screen first turns off but it automatically turns on by itself after 2-3 seconds and shows the unlock with password screen. And the Laptop keeps running for hours unless I turn it off manually by closing...
  3. Windows 10 does not stay in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 does not stay in sleep mode: My laptop does not stay in sleep mode. By pressing the power button, The screen first turns off but it automatically turns on by itself after 2-3 seconds and shows the unlock with password screen. And the Laptop keeps running for hours unless I turn it off manually by closing...
  4. Windows 10 does not stay in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. computer not staying in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer not staying in sleep mode: Unbelievably as it might seem, in so many years since this problem has been reported, the wise guys at microsoft could not fix it. I already had a computer broken because it woke up during the night and started auto processing dna strands matching with three gpu cards and all...
  6. computer not staying in sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    computer not staying in sleep mode: Unbelievably as it might seem, in so many years since this problem has been reported, the wise guys at microsoft could not fix it. I already had a computer broken because it woke up during the night and started auto processing dna strands matching with three gpu cards and all...
  7. Sleep Mode & Screen Off Mode

Sleep Mode & Screen Off Mode: If I set,PC screen will turn off after- 1hourPC will sleep after- 2hourWhen the PC will actually sleep during my inactivity? Is it 2hour? Or 1+2=3 hour?I mean, what does it mean by "sleep after"? Does the count start from the screen went off? Or from the the very beginning of...
  8. PC does NOT STAY in sleep mode

PC does NOT STAY in sleep mode: Hi, I have set my power option for my monitor to turn off after 2 minutes and the computer to sleep after 5 minutes. For a unknown reason my screen turns off after 2 minutes and turns back on almost immediately after. Can somebody help me? Note I run Win10 Pro 20H2....
  9. Screen stays black after opening lid from sleep mode

Screen stays black after opening lid from sleep mode: Simply put, every time I close my laptop lid enters sleep mode and reopen it, the screen stays black. I try waking it up by using my mouse and keyboard but nothing works. I have to do a force shutoff in order to get the screen working again. All of the windows updates are...
  10. Laptop does not turn on the screen after sleep mode

Laptop does not turn on the screen after sleep mode: Hi, my name is Andres Morales, and I have a laptop of MSI called GL62M 7REX. Which have an Intel I5 of 7th generation, Nvidia GTX1050 TI,... Two days ago I install a new SDD because the laptop only had an HDD of 1TB, and I decided to buy an chinese SSD of 120 GB. Then I...