Windows 10: Screen flickering black but task manager is not

Discus and support Screen flickering black but task manager is not in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Before logging onto my account on my laptop there is no flickering or any issues. However once logged in the screen flashes black every 10 sec seconds... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Emily_M09, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Emily_M09 Win User

Screen flickering black but task manager is not

Before logging onto my account on my laptop there is no flickering or any issues. However once logged in the screen flashes black every 10 sec seconds or so and my laptop is unusable. The taskbar/any application is unresponsive except for task manager. Through here I was able to run a programme and I ran command prompt and did ‘sfc /scannow’ got to about 30% and my laptop automatically restarted. Tried it again, and it restarted again resulting in my laptop not being able to complete the scan.

On task manager I can see that windows explorer’s status keeps changing to suspended every few seconds too. I think it may be an application that’s causing this but I don’t know what as I haven’t installed any apps recently. Last night I was able to uninstall the most recent app on my laptop but it didn’t change anything.

I’ve also noticed that immediately after the screen goes black and comes back on Shell Infrastructure Host’s power usage goes from very high gradually back down to moderate until the screen goes black again and the cycle repeats.

Please help me as I need my laptop for uni work and it’s so frustrating as I can’t seem to find any help elsewhere online!

:)

Emily_M09, Nov 7, 2019
  2. AlanR246 Win User

Screen flicker and hangup on desktop screen

The short term fix for me was to roll back to Windows 7. I did not have the time to work through the issues but will try again in a week or so. I had a call in to the Microsoft Answer Desk and got a call back after I rolled back. Pasted below are the suggestions
    to attempt find the problem. In my case, I suspect Norton was the culprit since that was the common product on both my desktops and I was not seeing a flicker in Task Manager window.

From the Microsoft Answer Desk:

Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

To start, press this key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

If this opens Task Manager and that window is NOT flickering:The likely cause is Software Compatibility issue causing Explorer.exe to crash repeatedly.

• Use the File, Run option in Task Manager to open additional tools as-needed. Be sure to check the box to run tools as Administrator. These could include:

appwiz.cpl: Opens Programs and Features

compmgmt.msc: Opens Computer Management

cmd.exe
    • You can search for crash events in the Event Logs and find if any third party DLLs are the faulting module in the Explorer,.exe crashes Or uninstall software that is likely to include shell extensions.
    • If removing software does not resolve the issue, use these commands to repair Windows:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow
    We have reports that removing these apps help resolve the issue:

• Norton Antivirus
    • Other AV solutions
    • iCloud
    • IDT Audio (faulting module IDTNC64.cpl)
    If Task Manager is flickering, or it didn't open, proceed with display driver troubleshooting:
    The likely cause is a display driver or display hardware issue.

• Boot to Safe Mode with Networking.
    • Use the same steps here as for Black Screen issues - if dual chipset, disable built-in graphics, if still flickers, try with only the other chipset enabled.
    • If this does not work, or there is only a single chipset, uninstall the device and remove the driver software.
    • Then boot into Windows and update the drivers to the latest from the manufacturer.
    Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

AlanR246, Nov 7, 2019
  3. Flickering screen and unable to maximize items

Hi Jane,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are facing issues with flickering screen, do let us know the following to assist you better:

• How often you see black/ flickering screen on your device?
    • What is the make and model of your device?
    • Is the issue of maximizing the screen confined to any particular game?
    • Were you able to see any error code with this issue?

I would like to inform that screen flickering in Windows 10 is usually caused by incompatible apps or display drivers.

I suggest you to refer to the troubleshooting steps like Check to see if
    Task Manager flickers, Uninstall an incompatible app,
    Update your display driver from the Microsoft article about flickering screen and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot screen flickering in Windows 10

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 7, 2019
  4. Screen flickering black but task manager is not

Screen flicker

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I am sorry to know that screen is flickering on Windows 10.

Do not worry, will assist you with the issue.

I suggest you to try the steps provided below.

If you see the flickering screen only
    after sign-in and you can see a mouse cursor:

• While at the black screen, try using CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start Task Manager.
    • If it becomes visible, try finding LockAppHost.exe on the Details tab and ending the task.
      If this resolves the black screen, use corruption resolution steps (dism, then sfc).
    • If this does not work, use File, Run new task in Task Manager to start an Administrator CMD window. Use this to create a new administrator user with the following commands (changing “<password>” to something of the customer’s choosing):

net user test <password> /add

net localgroup Administrators test /add
    This will give you a test user to try, which will confirm if the issue is user or system-specific.

If you see the flickering screen before sign-in:

1. Try connecting to different video outputs on the PC. Sometimes a change in driver can cause the video to be sent:

• To a different Adapter: from integrated graphics to a discrete card or vice versa.
    • To a different output: from HDMI to DVI, DisplayPort to VGA, or any other combination.
    2. Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking or Enable low-resolution video.

• Advanced boot options, Safe Mode with Networking, or Low Resolution Video.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

• Check Device Manager and look for Display Adapters.
      • If you see 2 items under Display Adapters, disable to integrated video card (e.g. Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200) and restart. (try vice versa if it does not work)
      • If you see 1 item under Display Adapters, rollback the driver or uninstall the display adapter in Device Manager, and enable the option to delete driver software.
    Check the PC or display adapter manufacturer’s site for an updated driver.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

Screen flickering black but task manager is not

1. Screen flickering black but task manager is not - Similar Threads - Screen flickering black

2. Screen Flickering Black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Flickering Black: My screen has been flickering black for about a second several times a day for a few weeks now. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics driver, and tried Ctrl + Shift + Windows + B. I also have checked for any necessary updates in both the "Check For Updates" Windows...
  3. Screen Flickering Black

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen Flickering Black: My screen has been flickering black for about a second several times a day for a few weeks now. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics driver, and tried Ctrl + Shift + Windows + B. I also have checked for any necessary updates in both the "Check For Updates" Windows...
  4. Black/flickering screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black/flickering screen: When I start up my computer it shows a black screen after I login. I tried to use safe mode and it shows a flickering screen and I can’t click on any apps while task manager is fine. It all started around the windows 11 upgrade....
  5. Black/flickering screen

Black/flickering screen: When I start up my computer it shows a black screen after I login. I tried to use safe mode and it shows a flickering screen and I can’t click on any apps while task manager is fine. It all started around the windows 11 upgrade....
  6. black task manager

black task manager: HiMy task manager has black background which prevent me to clearly see menus.how to change it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-task-manager/f2226f09-2533-4de9-abe5-dc6b83178a33
  7. Black screen and flickering

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen and flickering: Ever since installing a recent windows update I’ve been having this issue, I’ve tried uninstalling the update and updating to an even newer version, same with my drivers, the issue also causes 100% gpu usage, I’ve tried many fixes with nothing working....
  8. Task bar flickers and screen flashes black

Task bar flickers and screen flashes black: a auto update happened and now when a domain user logs in the screen flashes and task bar flashes. If I log on to computer as local admin no issue Did DISM Did health Check Removed profile tried a user who never logged in works fine in safemode tried clean boot...
  9. Windows black screen no task manager

Windows black screen no task manager: I was on my laptop and i logged out when i logged in i got a black screen with a cursor i tried to open the task manager but it didn't open i tried pressing Ctrl alt del but it didnt work i inserted a bootable flash and tried resetting it didn't i tried every possible...
  10. Windows 10 Screen Flicker, Even on Task Manager.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows 10 Screen Flicker, Even on Task Manager.: Hi, I'm dealing with a rather annoying issue. My windows 10 pro keeps flickering. After I googled the problem, it said to test if Task Manager flickered. So i alt ctrl del and observed, and yes, even task manger flickered. So from those results it would be the graphics...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell p4317q flickering screen but not with task manager open