Windows 10: Screen Flickering while using Explorer

Discus and support Screen Flickering while using Explorer in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I am using thinkpad w520 with windows 10 updated to latets version. I never had any problems but once I connected my laptop to external monitor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AbhishekDeol, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Screen flickering in Windows 10 safe mode

I haven't made any changes on my device. This screen flickering is only happening in Safe Mode.

AdhipBanerjee, Apr 14, 2021
  2. Arjay Dom Win User
    Screen flickering in Windows 10 safe mode

Hi Adhio,

Screen flickering can be caused by hardware or application issue.

To better assist you, please answer the following questions:

• Is the issue only happening in Safe Mode?
    • Have you made any changes on your device prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest following the troubleshooting steps on this article:

Troubleshoot screen flickering in Windows 10
    to resolve screen flickering issues on Windows 10.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Arjay Dom, Apr 14, 2021
  3. AlanR246 Win User

Screen Flickering while using Explorer

Screen flicker and hangup on desktop screen

The short term fix for me was to roll back to Windows 7. I did not have the time to work through the issues but will try again in a week or so. I had a call in to the Microsoft Answer Desk and got a call back after I rolled back. Pasted below are the suggestions
    to attempt find the problem. In my case, I suspect Norton was the culprit since that was the common product on both my desktops and I was not seeing a flicker in Task Manager window.

From the Microsoft Answer Desk:

Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

To start, press this key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

If this opens Task Manager and that window is NOT flickering:The likely cause is Software Compatibility issue causing Explorer.exe to crash repeatedly.

• Use the File, Run option in Task Manager to open additional tools as-needed. Be sure to check the box to run tools as Administrator. These could include:

appwiz.cpl: Opens Programs and Features

compmgmt.msc: Opens Computer Management

cmd.exe
    • You can search for crash events in the Event Logs and find if any third party DLLs are the faulting module in the Explorer,.exe crashes Or uninstall software that is likely to include shell extensions.
    • If removing software does not resolve the issue, use these commands to repair Windows:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow
    We have reports that removing these apps help resolve the issue:

• Norton Antivirus
    • Other AV solutions
    • iCloud
    • IDT Audio (faulting module IDTNC64.cpl)
    If Task Manager is flickering, or it didn't open, proceed with display driver troubleshooting:
    The likely cause is a display driver or display hardware issue.

• Boot to Safe Mode with Networking.
    • Use the same steps here as for Black Screen issues - if dual chipset, disable built-in graphics, if still flickers, try with only the other chipset enabled.
    • If this does not work, or there is only a single chipset, uninstall the device and remove the driver software.
    • Then boot into Windows and update the drivers to the latest from the manufacturer.
    Here are the Steps for the Flickering issue.

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes - apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

AlanR246, Apr 14, 2021
Thema:

Screen Flickering while using Explorer

1. Screen Flickering while using Explorer - Similar Threads - Screen Flickering while

2. Laptop screen is flickering/blinking randomly while using is it because of update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop screen is flickering/blinking randomly while using is it because of update?: Company DellInspiron 5 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-screen-is-flickeringblinking-randomly-while/cd536eae-053f-490b-ba06-4be857bb833c
  3. Screen Flickering, but still responsive while flickering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Flickering, but still responsive while flickering: The screen on my laptop intel i5 has been flicking randomly. It is still responsive while it flickers, as evidenced when I tap or click randomly, and the computer actually responds accordingly.When I shut the laptop lid and open it again, the screen is alright though.How can...
  4. Screen Flickering, but still responsive while flickering

Screen Flickering, but still responsive while flickering: The screen on my laptop intel i5 has been flicking randomly. It is still responsive while it flickers, as evidenced when I tap or click randomly, and the computer actually responds accordingly.When I shut the laptop lid and open it again, the screen is alright though.How can...
  5. While Working Screen flickered

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    While Working Screen flickered: While Working screen flickered, so I noted the time and saw the Event Viewer: Log Name: Application Source: Application Error Date: 09-12-2020 02:42:59 AM Event ID: 1000 Task Category: 100 Level: Error Keywords: Classic User:...
  6. Screen flickering while using Snip and Sketch

Screen flickering while using Snip and Sketch: While marking something on the snip with pen/pencil the screen start flickeringturns off and on. This is happening after the last windows feature update See this video - https://youtu.be/FkFHQTvQaRM [ATTACH]...
  7. Screen Flickering While Playing Games.

Screen Flickering While Playing Games.: I have Windows 10 ,amd anthlon x270 dual core processor,my pc starts to flickers when I play games (this problem came after. Fall creator update,before it was fine) I already tried to install windows 10,7 3 times but problem persists,I tried to uninstall the display driver...
  8. Screen flickers after it been on for a while

Screen flickers after it been on for a while: When I am editing a video or looking at youtube, my screen starts to flicker - cut on and off https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-flickers-after-it-been-on-for-a-while/fca79f32-0e30-4691-a48d-97bee4749c24
  9. Screen flickering while gaming

Screen flickering while gaming: Hello, My problem is that basically anytime I launch any game the screen with start flickering nonstop. It will work normal for a few seconds, than it will go black, come back for a few seconds in awhile then do the same thing over and over again. The game is running in...
  10. Screen flickers & then explorer closes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Screen flickers & then explorer closes: On a Dell Vostro 3550 laptop, there were a few issues with Windows 7, so I erased the drive, did a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro, downloaded and installed all of the drivers from Dell. Then did a Windows 10 upgrade. When Windows 10 would first boot, it kept giving a 0x...