Windows 10: Screen flickers a few seconds when a video player is active

Discus and support Screen flickers a few seconds when a video player is active in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I am experiencing my display will flicker 2 to 3 times when I go to a web page that has videos like Prime or YouTube. Even scrolling a page that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DavidGoodwin1, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Screen flickers a few seconds when a video player is active

Hi,

I am experiencing my display will flicker 2 to 3 times when I go to a web page that has videos like Prime or YouTube. Even scrolling a page that has a video player appear on my screen. It then flickers.

After the 2 to 3 seconds of flickering, without any noticeable change I am able to view just fine.

When I close the app it will flicker again, then it's fine.

The problem is when I get to my desktop. The layout and resolution setting have changed. I have to go to display setting and change it back to where I had it at before.

Also noted that this will happen with video players and apps like Netflix, WMP, Plex or Prime not just a web browser.

Win10 20H2

Gforce 1080 ti

65" 4k Flat screen

All drivers up to date

I have tried running resolutions

3840 2160 4K 60 & 30hz - zero scaling & recommended 300%

1080p 60 30hz - zero scaling & recommended 150%

HDR on and off

All resolutions still will flicker when viewing video.

Can I stop apps from changing my setting?

Is this something else that could be changing like copyright protection? I am guessing it's not some form of copy protection.

FYI I have tried all the flicker fixes from MS. The fixes have to do with constant flickering. That is not what my systems are doing.

example of the wrong fix

https://www.bing.com/search?q=screen%20flickering%20windows%2010%20site:microsoft.com&form=B00032&ocid=SettingsHAQ-BingIA&mkt=en-US

:)

DavidGoodwin1, Dec 24, 2020

2. Screen flickering while watching videos full screen

It just started recently that everytime I watch any video in full screen, that screen it is on flickers. I have seen, that it happens if any other program causes any popup (like Origins "a friend started playing X game"), but it is not limited to this.

My PC itself is working fine, meaning that powersupply and driver etc. are all okay. I reinstalled windows 2-3 months back (the flickering might have started after this but not sure).

What could be a cause for this flickering and how can I fix it?

Note: The flickering is a blackscreen of about 5-10 frames I'd guess and it happens about 3-5 times within like 2 seconds and can occur everywhere in the video. I have the feeling, that the less active I am on the second screen, the less flickering I have. Also if I rewind the video after a flickering, the flickering does most of the time not occur again.

Specs:

• Asus GTX 1070 TI
    • Asus ROG STRIX Z270F
    • Intel I7-7700K
    • 2x Acer Predator XB241H
    • 650W power supply

If you need any more info feel free to ask

XtremeBaumer, Dec 24, 2020
  3. erocker Win User
    Screen Flickering

Return that card for something else. I've heard of many issues with Asus Direct Cu 7970's. You could try finding a different monitor to see if your monitor is the problem, but I doubt it.

**I though you tried differnet cables. Buy a new cable and try it. Get a Dual Link DVI cable.

Here's a list.

1. Uninstall and reinstall video drivers.

2. Replace cable

3. Try different monitor

4. Try different video card

5. Replace video card.

If you can do any of the steps above, just skip to step #5.

erocker, Dec 24, 2020
  4. Screen flickers a few seconds when a video player is active

Microsoft DVD Player Flickers...Windows 10

My Windows DVD player flickers every few seconds, the video only when playing the movie, I tried the suggestion to delete the player and reinstall now Microsoft wants to charge $15.00 to install when I had it free before. Any suggestions?

RogerUnruh, Dec 24, 2020
Thema:

Screen flickers a few seconds when a video player is active

1. Screen flickers a few seconds when a video player is active - Similar Threads - Screen flickers few

2. Video Player and Youtube flickering and displaying weirdly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video Player and Youtube flickering and displaying weirdly.: While I'm on Youtube a rectangle part of my screen very rarely flickers, not all of it. On Windows's video player the video has like red and blue colors matching what's on screen like those old 3d effect. On any game, any other app I haven't seen any flickers or weird colors....
  3. Video Player and Youtube flickering and displaying weirdly.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Video Player and Youtube flickering and displaying weirdly.: While I'm on Youtube a rectangle part of my screen very rarely flickers, not all of it. On Windows's video player the video has like red and blue colors matching what's on screen like those old 3d effect. On any game, any other app I haven't seen any flickers or weird colors....
  4. Windows 11 screen blinks for a few seconds when watching videos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 screen blinks for a few seconds when watching videos: Is this a known bug with Windows 11? If so, are there any ways to fix it? Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-screen-blinks-for-a-few-seconds-when/cd000064-716d-487d-bb6e-10273c6f1be8
  5. Windows 11 screen blinks for a few seconds when watching videos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 screen blinks for a few seconds when watching videos: Is this a known bug with Windows 11? If so, are there any ways to fix it? Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-screen-blinks-for-a-few-seconds-when/cd000064-716d-487d-bb6e-10273c6f1be8
  6. Videos pause every few seconds.

Videos pause every few seconds.: Videos pause every few seconds. I have tried everything suggested. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/videos-pause-every-few-seconds/118c5074-1863-4037-9b7a-908fc8661dbd
  7. Videos pause every few seconds.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Videos pause every few seconds.: Videos pause every few seconds. I have tried everything suggested. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/videos-pause-every-few-seconds/118c5074-1863-4037-9b7a-908fc8661dbd
  8. Videos pause every few seconds.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. My second screen is flickering

My second screen is flickering: My Surface Pro 6 is connected to another acer monitor, and the second screen is flickering and the colours are all out of wacky. It isn't the monitor, because my uncle tried it on his computer and it worked fine. I've fiddled around with the driver and that hasn't worked, and...
  10. Screen flickers black every few seconds when in fullscreen mode games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen flickers black every few seconds when in fullscreen mode games: Hi all, I recently upgraded my laptop to the Lenovo Legion Y520 with an i7-7700hq, a 1050 ti, intel hd 630, 256 gig ssd, and 2 Terabyte hard drive I usually use an external monitor next to my laptop I noticed that when in games, if i set it to Fullscreen the screen...